Ryan Hall submitting Henry Matamoros

That was a fun match!!!

Always enjoy watching Hall. His opponent was a dick, but still gave a fun fight.

I haven't heard of Hall blowing out knees like Imanari does. He gets lots of leglock submissions, but it's not like he's ripping the leg off like Imanari does.

I am in movie-quoting mood today:

"Turkish: What's happening with those sausages, Charlie?

Sausage Charlie: Five minutes, Turkish.

Turkish: It was "two minutes" five minutes ago."

:icon_chee
is this from Snatch? gott'a love that movie! some of the best one liners ever :D

Well, let me just say that I never question Team Lloyd Irvin's success on the mat. Just their advertising gives me the heebee jeebes. Reminds me of those old Jhoon Rhee ads.

Ryan Hall's a cool guy. He's friends with my instructor and a pretty damn good competitor, although I think he needs to work his fundamentals a bit more.

i got a private lesson with him in wisconsin the night of this fight and i can tell you that the last thing he needs to work on is his fundamentals. we talked about grappling fundamentals for about 45 minutes. another thing i learned is that 1. ryans top game is far better than i thought, being as he always pulls guard 2. ive never trained with any of his instructors but ryan himself is an excellent coach, i learned more in 1-1/2 - 2hours with ryan than i have learned in any 1 day of my 2-1/2 years of training and ive trained with feitosa, almeida, comprida, traven, drysdale, marcelo garcia, etc. not saying he is better than any of these guys, but as far as teaching and getting his point across, id train with him again b4 any of these guys. though i recommend garcia too, his english is getting better and he also has an interesting outlook on bjj.

I'm a part of Team Lloyd Irvin and have done some seminar work with Ryan. He's a great teacher and approaches things from a very conceptual level.

Whoever said his gi game is way behind is just plain off. He's very solid for his belt and beyond in the gi, he just really shines in No-gi and obviously works his leg locks more effectively.

Zankou is right, with heal hooks he definitely takes the leg, but he doesnt rip it off.

I really don't get the "he needs better fundamentals" argument any more. I'd be happy to have "poor basics" at 3 years in if I was tapping black belts like Hall is.

I really don't get the "he needs better fundamentals" argument any more. I'd be happy to have "poor basics" at 3 years in if I was tapping black belts like Hall is.

Yeah I dont get what the fascination with the fundaments are. They are called the fundamentals, not your entire game.

Please explain Ryans poor fundementals....

He was a great guard, open guard, half guard, world class leg locks, and a very sound top game.

More than that he comes into matches with gameplans, to win, and he does.

If you dont see the level the guy is at based on his hip movement and transitions I am going to have to question how much you really know about bjj.

Hes been training for over 4 years. His first competition was in 2004 AFAIK.

I agree he is solid, just clarifying.

i got a private lesson with him in wisconsin the night of this fight and i can tell you that the last thing he needs to work on is his fundamentals. we talked about grappling fundamentals for about 45 minutes. another thing i learned is that 1. ryans top game is far better than i thought, being as he always pulls guard 2. ive never trained with any of his instructors but ryan himself is an excellent coach, i learned more in 1-1/2 - 2hours with ryan than i have learned in any 1 day of my 2-1/2 years of training and ive trained with feitosa, almeida, comprida, traven, drysdale, marcelo garcia, etc. not saying he is better than any of these guys, but as far as teaching and getting his point across, id train with him again b4 any of these guys. though i recommend garcia too, his english is getting better and he also has an interesting outlook on bjj.

+1
hes a great teacher I've taken a seminar of his

I think people are mistaking "getting your guard passed by World BJJ champs who outweigh you by a good deal" with having weak fundamentals.

that being said.. it was ownage how ryan tapped him after the guy was talking smack online.

Yeah I dont get what the fascination with the fundaments are. They are called the fundamentals, not your entire game.

The overconcerned internets thinks Hall deserves his brown by now. That's my reasoning.

Ryan Hall is way way behind BJ Penn when it comes to grappling with a GI, at this stage of his career when compared to BJ Penn when he was a Purple/Brown.

BJ Penn was placing in the medals regularly at the Mundials as a Blue Belt, Purple Belt and Brown Belt ( he actually fought in the heavier Leve - 76kg and placed 3rd).
In the 2000 Mundials, just days before he got his Black he fought in his natural weight category, which is Pena (-70kg), and completely owned the division.

Ryan Hall, i believe has not placed in the Mundials or the Pan-Ams as a Blue or a Purple, 2 of the biggest tournaments in the World. He did win the European Championships 08 which is a great achievement though, so give him his due, but he is not at that phenomenal stage alas BJ penn, and is not going to be another BJ Penn for sure.

Few people are BJ Penn. Saying Ryan Hall isn't BJ Penn isn't really showing anything except how rare people like BJ Penn are.

Jiujitsu has blown up since bj's time - The talent pool has grown much much more. Im not putting down on Penn, but Ryan Hall is good.

Good enough to beat multiple black belts - and easily dispatched Pedro Sauer's blackbelt in this video who is one of the most known names as a jiujitsu coach.

Hes not a super hero - Nate Diaz is another up & commer who is good. He was able to give Hall an actual match, but he didnt dominate.. he didnt finish the fight, or submit him did he? In the future im sure you will see both of them doing well in the Blackbelt divisions.

The kid is slick, and has the type of game that draws attention. If Ryan Hall wasnt that good, you wouldnt even know his name. Just like i dont know yours, and you dont know mine.

I almost think Ryan is more hype than anything.He has a cool looking guard and he can go upside down inverted guard or whatever it is. Once someone passes his guard he seems to get destroyed(Diaz easily subbed him)

From the matches I've seen he goes for the same thing over and over.

I almost think Ryan is more hype than anything.He has a cool looking guard and he can go upside down inverted guard or whatever it is. Once someone passes his guard he seems to get destroyed(Diaz easily subbed him)

From the matches I've seen he goes for the same thing over and over.

Yet he beats guys like Diego Saraiva, Baret Yoshida, Roberto Nery...Gordinho...Renato Tavares....

That takes something for sure.

Back