News Ryan Hall goes in for his 10th Surgery

ten surgeries is too many. points for persistence, for sure.

Just brutal. Hate to be the one to say this, because I think Ryan is a good human being, but he should retire from MMA imo.

Dude has been injured more than Cain, Dom, and TJ combined.
Definitely not worth the small paydays I'm sure he's been receiving, plus he's not exactly a spring chicken.

Yeah, I wouldn't blame him if he retired. He had a solid run with some bizarre fights, but ultimately I feel I'm not sure he has much more to prove. He is probably beyond his prime and he came up short in his day in court against Topuria. If he wasn't such a skilled grappler, I would perhaps have a different opinion, but he could make some good coin touring the world giving seminars and competing in super matches (I reuse to use the term "superfight" lol) without a strong risk of injury or more head trauma. With that said, I'll for sure be there to tune in if he does continue his MMA career. Even if a fight of his ends up being uneventful, his ground game is intriguing enough for me to always want to see what will happen.

I have lots of sources. First-hand accounts of what went on there. I've trained with LOTS of people that left his school for these very reasons. One of my very best friends and training partners, in fact.
Naming names wouldn't matter because none of you are gonna know who they are. And, on the off chance that someone did know them, I obviously can't betray their trust.
I probably shouldn't have even said anything, tbh. But I just get sick when I see people buy into his schtick.
Yeah, see I'm not going to just take your word for it. I don't know you, I don't know your motives. I know Ryan Hall better than I know you. You can't just say things without posting evidence and expect strangers to just believe you. Sources doesn't = you just saying "I know people."

Sources would be links of written accounts, videos, etc.
You don't have those, I have 0 reason to believe anything you say on the matter.

Yeah, see I'm not going to just take your word for it. I don't know you, I don't know your motives. I know Ryan Hall better than I know you. You can't just say things without posting evidence and expect strangers to just believe you. Sources doesn't = you just saying "I know people."

Sources would be links of written accounts, videos, etc.
You don't have those, I have 0 reason to believe anything you say on the matter.
That's why I amended and said I shouldn't have brought it up. Poor judgement on my part.
But you don't have to be a fucking dick about it.
If you wanna keep liking Ryan Hall, then you two probably deserve each other.

It's bloated with meat head bro types that want to make it a damn fight or spaz white belts. I suppose it depends on the gym too.
That’s a big problem too, I don’t see many gyms really give a shit about safety or longevity for the most part… gym owners just want to take people’s money, if that means having some 250 lbs. white belt jump into people’s guards like an idiot so be it lol.

At least people seem to get that though, what’s crazy to me is someone like Eddie Bravo who has completely destroyed his knees and back at least in part due to rubber guard being hoooorrrrible for your knees and back, but I’ve never heard him warn people about it. I feel like people are almost in denial about how much wear and tear comes with techniques like that.

It's not really about grappling, it's how they use their grappling. Look at Khabib and Islam, they have a lot of fans. Look at Khamzat, he has a lot of hype right now and they are all grappling based fighters. Grapplers just have to understand that it isn't a grappling competition, it's a fight. They have to use their grappling to do damage or get the finish, it can't be like grappling competitions where they are stalled out not really doing anything to run the clock out to avoid taking risks during certain positions. MMA is fight focused, grapplers have to adjust their style to be more damage/finish orientated.
No they have to be the most exciting fucking grapplers of all time for people to like them lol.

Not everyone can be Khabib, Islam, or Khamzat… every time I bring this point up this is what people say, it’s like saying a striker just needs to get KO’s like Conor, or have wars like Gaethje… most guys aren’t capable of that. And if you’re a striker that’s okay, if you’re a grappler you have to be an all time great or people hate you.

It’s getting to a point where almost all we see is striking in MMA, they have even made the judging reflect that so much you can completely school someone grappling and it doesn’t matter because damage.

He's an abusive sociopath.
He portrays himself as this dorky, loveable, shrugging underdog, but he's actually a really unstable and violent person. The exodus of people that have left his gym is similar to that of Lloyd Irvin. There are people all over the country that would corroborate to his sociopathy. Really disappointing behavior and attitude from a person in his position.
I always cringe when I see people posting of Sherdog about what a good dude he "seems" like.
He's not.
Trust me.
People throw that “sociopath” term around way too loosely these days. It’s fucked up.

How about the look on Sherdog's faces when he reveals all 10 have been colonoscopies.

That's why I amended and said I shouldn't have brought it up. Poor judgement on my part.
But you don't have to be a fucking dick about it.
If you wanna keep liking Ryan Hall, then you two probably deserve each other.
I'm just being blunt and honest. You can't be expected to be believed without evidence.

I agree!! But as a psychologist, I feel pretty comfortable using it.
Throw OCD and Depression in that mix as well.
So since you’re a psychologist you can diagnose people you don’t know because you have heard stories about them from people?

The fact you’re a psychologist, and try to use that as an argument from authority makes it worse.

I'm just being blunt and honest. You can't be expected to be believed without evidence.
Not saying this is for sure the case.

But a lot of people who on some level know their reasoning is questionable at best love using the “I have all this evidence but can’t tell you what it is” argument. That way you can’t really deny what they’re saying.

There are a lot of guys in BJJ who get big egos, and a bit of a god complex from being the head of a gym and getting all this praise for so long. If he left it at that it would be believable, accusing someone of being a sociopath without any reasoning is just fucked up IMO. It’s an anonymous Internet forum, but people read this shit, you shouldn’t besmirch someone’s name with something that serious unless you’re absolutely positive which he obviously isn’t.

Im fine with most criticism, but sociopath is close to the worst thing you can be labeled, I really hate how often that gets thrown at people in the spotlight over often small character flaws.

So since you’re a psychologist you can diagnose people you don’t know because you have heard stories about them from people?

The fact you’re a psychologist, and try to use that as an argument from authority makes it worse.

But a lot of people who on some level know their reasoning is questionable at best love using the “I have all this evidence but can’t tell you what it is” argument. That way you can’t really deny what they’re saying.

There are a lot of guys in BJJ who get big egos, and a bit of a god complex from being the head of a gym and getting all this praise for so long. If he left it at that it would be believable, accusing someone of being a sociopath without any reasoning is just fucked up IMO. It’s an anonymous Internet forum, but people read this shit, you shouldn’t besmirch someone’s name with something that serious unless you’re absolutely positive which he obviously isn’t.

Im fine with most criticism, but sociopath is close to the worst thing you can be labeled, I really hate how often that gets thrown at people in the spotlight over often small character flaws.
Not to mention, if this guy actually is a psychologist (press x for doubt) it's extremely unethical to be talking about people's mental health issues so willy nilly like that.

You t

So if your best friend was abused, you wouldn't believe him if you didn't see it yourself?
And you wouldn't feel any differently about the person who committed the abuse?
If you want me to literally name the person that was abused, I'm sorry, but I would not betray my friend like that. I would, however let other people know that his abuser is a dangerous person who shouldn't be celebrated.

Not to mention, if this guy actually is a psychologist (press x for doubt) it's extremely unethical to be talking about people's mental health issues so willy nilly like that.
Yeah, you and your pal obviously have it all figured out. Clearly I'm out of my element here. Sorry I brought any of it up.
Enjoy Ryan Hall.

This is having serious meme/joke potential

Ryan Hall Imanari rolls into the bar :
- Vodka please.
- Okay - says bartender. - What is it? - He is saying pointing finger to big object in Halls arm
- Oh, this? This is golden crutch.
- Why is it golden? Are you rich or what?
- No, Golden skin is unlocking after 10th surgery.* By the way - who are those people? - Hall is pointing at 2 guys snoring drunk AF whose heads are on the table
- Ahh, this is Reyes and Garbrandt. They are so fragile that 1 beer is knocking them out.
Then doors open and Luke Rockhold is pushed to the wall hitting it with full impact and leaving him unconcious.
Bartender shake his head in disbelieve.
-... fu&#ing wind. This is 5th time this week...

* - you know there was "golden meme" famous for awhile. You must do something x times and it becomes golden or something. :D

Back