News Ryan Hall goes in for his 10th Surgery

So true sadly

Especially with someone like Hall who inverts all the time, and puts his knees in all sorts of fucked up positions

Obviously BJJ is rough on you regardless, but a lot of the injuries could be avoided IMO if guys avoided certain techniques… I wish older guys preached that more
It's bloated with meat head bro types that want to make it a damn fight or spaz white belts. I suppose it depends on the gym too.

$36,000 for 3 or 4 months of work. That's plenty unless he lives in SF or NY.

$36,000 for getting your skull bounced off the floor by Topuria...yeah, seems a little light sir.
It's not like you can equate 5 mins in the cage to 3 months in the office.

Yes for an office worker, that's great pay.

For months of hard physical training 2-3 times a day, sparring, bjj, and after all that, a fight where the other guy is trying to take your head home with him.
Or possibly your knee, arm, neck....and possibly all of those things.

$36,000 quite frankly isn't worth a pound of sweat on the mat, let alone the rest.

Ryan was like "the aliens are here"

Ref was like "just stay still Ryan, the doctor will be here in a second to have a look at you"
Screenshot-20221201-235723-kindlephoto-28700296.png

This is kind of making my point IMO, he dominated Minner and Lobov, but if you’re a grappler you HAVE to get a finish or have the most exciting fight ever or people are pissed at you.

Even saying it’s a novelty act is weird IMO, it was a unique style that beat a lot of guys… was he ever champ material? No, most guys aren’t, but anyone that likes BJJ probably enjoyed watching Hall fight.

There’s reasons to dislike any fighter, not saying you’re wrong about Hall, that’s your opinion which is fine, but generally speaking the fan base is wayyy harder on grapplers.
It's not really about grappling, it's how they use their grappling. Look at Khabib and Islam, they have a lot of fans. Look at Khamzat, he has a lot of hype right now and they are all grappling based fighters. Grapplers just have to understand that it isn't a grappling competition, it's a fight. They have to use their grappling to do damage or get the finish, it can't be like grappling competitions where they are stalled out not really doing anything to run the clock out to avoid taking risks during certain positions. MMA is fight focused, grapplers have to adjust their style to be more damage/finish orientated.

Are these different surgeries or his 10th surgery for the same issues? Maybe surgery isn't the solution if he's getting multiple surgeries and it seems like it's getting worse. He should focus on rehab and physical therapy instead. Strengthen everything around it. Seems like most that gets surgeries ends up with it being weaker and more prone to injuries/breaks/dislocations. Find a legit chiropractor/doctor that can manually adjust and pop things back into place and fix any alignment issues.

Whoa I am just surprised that he is wearing earphones with a wire.

15 years of Jiu-Jitsu has left me with knee problems, hips, wrist, shoulders, and, above all, neck and back problems.
I can no longer sleep without marijuana. It's a brutal life, training hard.
Dude I'm so lit right now bro

i dunno why, but the shrugging irks the hell outta me. Can't explain it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pure BJJ guys dont know how to celebrate with aggression and ferocity - all that humble shit gets in their brain and they just shrug and then celebrate with some vegan food after.

There are exceptions to the rule, but for many folks decades of BJJ will ruin your body.

I can't count the number of long time grapplers I know that had neck or spine surgery. When you add in damaged knees and shoulders, surgery as an outcome is almost ubiquitous in the long run.

Ryan is coming up on 38 with decades of mileage, he should retire from competition across the board

He's a very good coach and has a sharp mind, I agree with you that he should retire from competition.

No I haven't, but listened to a lot of interviews, podcasts, BJJ instructionals, and also enjoyed him on TUF.

Why don't you like him?
He's an abusive sociopath.
He portrays himself as this dorky, loveable, shrugging underdog, but he's actually a really unstable and violent person. The exodus of people that have left his gym is similar to that of Lloyd Irvin. There are people all over the country that would corroborate to his sociopathy. Really disappointing behavior and attitude from a person in his position.
I always cringe when I see people posting of Sherdog about what a good dude he "seems" like.
He's not.
Trust me.

He's an abusive sociopath.
He portrays himself as this dorky, loveable, shrugging underdog, but he's actually a really unstable and violent person. The exodus of people that have left his gym is similar to that of Lloyd Irvin. There are people all over the country that would corroborate to his sociopathy. Really disappointing behavior and attitude from a person in his position.
I always cringe when I see people posting of Sherdog about what a good dude he "seems" like.
He's not.
Trust me.
You got any sources for that? Luke Thomas has trained with him pretty extensively and has only had good things to say, and I value his opinions (for the most part).

I really hope this means he can do more than just imanari rolls now...

You got any sources for that? Luke Thomas has trained with him pretty extensively and has only had good things to say, and I value his opinions (for the most part).
I have lots of sources. First-hand accounts of what went on there. I've trained with LOTS of people that left his school for these very reasons. One of my very best friends and training partners, in fact.
Naming names wouldn't matter because none of you are gonna know who they are. And, on the off chance that someone did know them, I obviously can't betray their trust.
I probably shouldn't have even said anything, tbh. But I just get sick when I see people buy into his schtick.

Back