Ryan Hall gets his Brown

i think its not 'long' overdue, but definitely due. look at kron.. everyone said his black was insanely long overdue, then what happened to him at the mundials his first match?

Defeating the mundial champion in your first match as a black belt isn't really a good test for when your black belt was due.

i no longer care how many threads are started, lauding every move ryan hall makes. in fact i applaud it since it will help his bjj career, and, well since i've never herd a bad thing said about the guy, more power to him. the only thing i'd like clarified once and for all is how long he's been training. just a solid number that can be referenced when explaining how good he is.

he's like sonny liston in this respect, some say sonny was born in 1932, some say ata the begining of 1930 and other's have said 1929. hell his own mother kept changing her mind on when he was born. so one of you guys whose a fan of mr. halls, i implore you to figure it out once and for all.

yeah seriously guys, "Ryan Hall wins the pan ams again", Ryan Hall defeats Baret Yoshida", Ryan Hall submits Gordinho in ADCC", "Ryan Hall wipes the floor with Henry Matamoros after he talked a lot of shit about how Ryan Hall gets too much attention he doesn't deserve and a real black belt would spank him", Ryan Hall wins the World Championships", "Ryan Hall finds the cure for cancer", "Ryan Hall discovers Time Travel"

seriously just shut the fuck up. I don't care if he went back in time and ankle locked Achilles. Just STFU nuthuggers

i no longer care how many threads are started, lauding every move ryan hall makes. in fact i applaud it since it will help his bjj career, and, well since i've never herd a bad thing said about the guy, more power to him. the only thing i'd like clarified once and for all is how long he's been training. just a solid number that can be referenced when explaining how good he is.

he's like sonny liston in this respect, some say sonny was born in 1932, some say ata the begining of 1930 and other's have said 1929. hell his own mother kept changing her mind on when he was born. so one of you guys whose a fan of mr. halls, i implore you to figure it out once and for all.

Heres the earliest competition on record from Rated:

Event Name: The 2004 Copa Atlantica Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Championships
Division: Men's BJJ White Belt Lightweight (150-159.9 lbs.)
Place: 3rd Place - 75 Points

The event took place in July of '04. He had probably been training for at least 3 months, but I think it may have been a little more. Anyway, hes been training for more than 4 years for sure. Not much more, but more.

yeah seriously guys, "Ryan Hall wins the pan ams again", Ryan Hall defeats Baret Yoshida", Ryan Hall submits Gordinho in ADCC", "Ryan Hall wipes the floor with Henry Matamoros after he talked a lot of shit about how Ryan Hall gets too much attention he doesn't deserve and a real black belt would spank him", Ryan Hall wins the World Championships", "Ryan Hall finds the cure for cancer", "Ryan Hall discovers Time Travel"

seriously just shut the fuck up. I don't care if he went back in time and ankle locked Achilles. Just STFU nuthuggers

Did he really submit gordinho in ADCC? I remember the fight I didnt remember who he fought.

Anyway, I'm far from a nuthugger and I'm not a fan of lloyd's at all. However, the guy is a rising star who for some reason causes some controversy (through no fault of his own). I think he deserves a lot of respect for what hes been able to do in such a short time.

If he did in fact sub Gordinho last year, that would mean submitting a top level guy after only three years of training. Respect.

Did he really submit gordinho in ADCC? I remember the fight I didnt remember who he fought.

Anyway, I'm far from a nuthugger and I'm not a fan of lloyd's at all. However, the guy is a rising star who for some reason causes some controversy (through no fault of his own). I think he deserves a lot of respect for what hes been able to do in such a short time.

If he did in fact sub Gordinho last year, that would mean submitting a top level guy after only three years of training. Respect.

I was right next to the mat for that one. Gordinho didn't tap, but he screamed in pain as his knee made a loud popping noise and the ref broke them up.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/omyMhgokKZo&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/omyMhgokKZo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm still waiting on the video of Ryan going back in time and taking out achilles, but I hear it has great commentary.

BTW Ryan has submitted more than one top guy in no-gi, but I'm looking forward to watching him at GQ this weekend. The pro-division is seated with him facing Pablo Popovich in the first round. If Ryan pulls off evenm that one win prepare to see me post a Ryan Hall thread, lol

I was right next to the mat for that one (you can see me leaning against the barrier at 1:26, haha). Gordinho didn't tap, but he screamed in pain as his knee made a loud popping noise and the ref broke them up.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/omyMhgokKZo&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/omyMhgokKZo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm still waiting on the video of Ryan going back in time and taking out achilles, but I hear it has great commentary.

BTW Ryan has submitted more than one top guy in no-gi, but I'm looking forward to watching him at GQ this weekend. The pro-division is seated with him facing Pablo Popovich in the first round. If Ryan pulls off evenm that one win prepare to see me post a Ryan Hall thread, lol

I was right next to the mat for that one. Gordinho didn't tap, but he screamed in pain as his knee made a loud popping noise and the ref broke them up.

haha. I was planning on going but I dont think I'll be able to anymore. Are you competing or just watching? They have some nice brackets and there should be some great fights; I hope I can go.

And you're right - if he can get past pablo I'll be damn impressed.

I'm still not readyu to compete yet (recovering from a fractured radius), but I'll be watching without a doubt, and may end up coaching some team-mates

Heres the earliest competition on record from Rated:

The event took place in July of '04. He had probably been training for at least 3 months, but I think it may have been a little more. Anyway, hes been training for more than 4 years for sure. Not much more, but more.

I took Gold in my first tournament (NY States 2005: featherweight White Belt) with only one month of training. I don't think he had 3 months under his belt at that point. In fact I thought I heard somewhere that he did his first tournament after only a couple weeks of training; if that's the case then technically he did get to brown in less than 4 years. From what I hear Lloyd seemed to have a good feeling about Ryan from the day he stepped through the door

I took Gold in my first tournament (NY States 2005: featherweight White Belt) with only one month of training. I don't think he had 3 months under his belt at that point. In fact I thought I heard somewhere that he did his first tournament after only a couple weeks of training; if that's the case then technically he did get to brown in less than 4 years. From what I hear Lloyd seemed to have a good feeling about Ryan from the day he stepped through the door

I can see that, so you could be right. Either way, getting a brown belt in around 4 years is impressive.

yes it is. Guys like bj and werdum got their blacks in less than five years...

cool

do you think he really does the pilates program him and lloyd sell to improve his flexibility?

"do you think he really does the pilates program him and lloyd sell to improve his flexibility?"

He probably does, but the program is no different than standard pilates. I saw every movement in a basic pilates book.

grapplers quest hall vs popovitch ill take popovitch for some cash any takers

man i want hall to beat popovitch. and lepri wins his match so i can see a match between them two. hall with his bad ass guard and lucas with his alliance bjj.

i think its not 'long' overdue, but definitely due. look at kron.. everyone said his black was insanely long overdue, then what happened to him at the mundials his first match?

But at the same time otavio souza, who lost to kron last year, got his black after the 2007 worlds and still took silver in the europeans and pan-ams and bronze at this year's worlds. You can't add things up like that, they make no sense. Especially when he lost to the eventual winner.

Has ryan competed at brown belt level yet? I havent heard much about him recently besides his split with Lloyed irvin, by the way where is he training now?

I wonder who will give Ryan his stripes and his black now?

All I know is he's cool as hell, super nice guy. His seminar was awesome. Hopefully sometime I can go train with him for a month, if I can find a 4-6week place to stay in Virginia near his place.

Back