Ryan Hall Brasiliero Results

At this point in time, the Brasiliero is generally regarded as more difficult than both the Mundial and Pan American at all belt levels other than black due to the fact that it is located in Brazil.

I do not understand the purpose of your post. I always find it curious that people interject negativity into things for no apparent reason. :icon_neut

The reason you see the qualifying/'negative' posts about Ryan Hall is because no other purple belt who hasn't even won one of the big 2 tournaments at his own weight gets nearly weekly updates on this forum. I won't say Hall brings it on himself exactly, since he usually just posts in his blog and then the PR team and fanclub link the info here and on every other forum, but with the constant hype over him, you have to expect some backlash. Especially when he isn't cleaning out his weightclass at major competitions.

There are plenty of accomplished grapplers in the world AND on the interwebs, and most of them don't have goofy nicknames, goofy self-titled techniques, and a hype engine of followers talking them up at every turn. Since Hall always gets all this attention, it should be expected that he receive some criticism. If he were here posting it himself things would obviously be different, but instead we get these constant updates from god-knows-who, and it rubs a lot of people the wrong way that a guy who hasn't done all that much yet in the sport gets this much talk. It almost feels like it is thrown in people's faces sometimes....

That said, I like watching his videos (hell, I like watching most decent competitors roll for a minute or two). Just remember though, that with great hype and great attention comes great visibility and great expectation. Hall needs to win more to win over his critics who think all this hype and attention are undeserved. I believe he eventually will, too, given the unlimited money and training time he has at his disposal, but until then, expect a steady flow of reasonable critique.

Ryan didn't lose in the first round at the Pan Ams. I think it was his second or third match, against Chace Wheaton (Alliance guy). Chace is a legitimate badass, and the match was a lot of fun to watch.

A little more on the 50/50 position...it seems like a lot of referees don't understand that you can do things from there other than just heel hooks. There are a lot of options, but sometimes referees see the setup in the gi, and stop the competitors because they're used to seeing heel hooks from there when it's used in no gi divisions.

The reason you see the qualifying/'negative' posts about Ryan Hall is because no other purple belt who hasn't even won one of the big 2 tournaments at his own weight gets nearly weekly updates on this forum.
Nice point

Now only if the 3 random brazilians that placed above him could get all the money and hype and threeads he gets huh sherdoggers?

You are partially correct, but more incorrect. He did win the 2008 CBJJ European Championships, a prestigious tournament nearly the size of the Pan American.

I do not understand the purpose of your post. I always find it curious that people interject negativity into things for no apparent reason. :icon_neut

below brown belt, the Euro Mundials are only composed of Europeans who are not in the same level. He beat a Portuguese and a French dude to win the medal, not hatin', just statin'..

You are partially correct, but more incorrect. He did win the 2008 CBJJ European Championships, a prestigious tournament nearly the size of the Pan American.

i made my post less to "interject negativity" and more to keep things straight. i don't think he's a bad bjj player, quite the opposite, i think he's very good and should be commended for his achievements. i also don't think that him not placing at this years pan americans should be treated as an anomaly since he has not placed at any of the pan americans he has competed at. that was the extent of my statement at that time. i later mentioned the worlds because that also applies.

Nice story, thanks for posting.

He threatened to DQ me for using the 50/50 to sweep (the same position Cobrinha uses ALL THE TIME), in spite of the fact that it's completely legal

Someone has a link to Cobrinha doing the 50/50 sweep?

Back