News Ryan Hall Assesses BJ Penn After Victory

WaylonMercy5150

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
“As a fan of his I can understand both perspectives,” Hall told reporters, including MMAjunkie, post-fight at UFC 232. “Obviously he’s a little bit older, but also the game has continued to evolve. It’s difficult, and evolve on his shoulders. It’s not as if people could get to where we are without the Fedor Emelianenko’s, without the B.J. Penn’s. I think it’s very important to remember that. But it’s also very tough if everyone’s gotten to watch you fight for 15 years, and also figure out what you’re up too, then on top of that copy a bunch of what you’re up too, to still be able to win generation after generation is very challenging.

“B.J. went through multiple generations of fighters and still has plenty left, but it’s just a matter of it he wants to do that. But I can also understand the perspective of people who say, ‘Hey, you’ve done enough already. Why take the risk? Why take the physical toll?’ But ultimately telling another person what to do with their life, I’m not very comfortable with that.”

“At a time like that you don’t want to walk over there and I’m not trying to get – just be weird and get in someone’s face,” Hall said. “At the same time I hope we cross paths at some point in the future and ask him a bunch of questions. But right after a fight no one likes the other person running over and Yoel Romero’ing them. No one likes that.”

“Honestly there’s a bunch of things,” Hall said. “I’ve got stuff going on at home. I actually just had a little boy. You never know – the fight game is unpredictable. On ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ I fought four times in probably three months, which is probably a little much unless you’re Donald Cerrone, in which case carry on. It’s tough. Both people have to sign up and I’ve accepted a bunch of other fights and unfortunately people were a little bit hesitant to get involved. B.J.’s not afraid of anybody. It was pretty neat to get to compete against someone with his skillset.”

“I want to fight the best people available, I want to fight someone in the top 10 or in the top 15,” Hall said. “Definitely at featherweight. I weighed in for this at 154. I’m a featherweight. I would be nice to face someone in the top 10, top 15 at least. I don’t really care about the rankings, I just care about he challenge of the opponent.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/12/ryan-...nt-on-b-j-penns-fighting-future-after-ufc-232

I'm a fan of Ryan Hall. Sucked to see BJ Penn lose but if someone were to submit him I don't think it's so bad that it was Ryan Hall. I know he gets shit on a bit on here but his BJJ is something nice to see in high level MMA. Maybe he'll fight Kron sometime

Ryan Hall should have taken a dive for BJ Penn - I thought the UFC was corrupt! Why couldn’t we pay him off or something!

Love Ryan Hall. Hopefully they can get him another fight before long

He's terrible to watch BUT he could do what he did to BJ to anyone.

Seems a pretty decent interview too, he wasn't someone I hated after watching his TUF either, he just seemed pretty normal but I wanted Saul Rogers to win TUF 22 after beating Hall in the house and then Hall came back and replaced him and beat Artem.

Hall is ridiculously good but people don't seem to like him. His ability to make massive leaps in small times is something to behold, went from not being able to throw a question mark kick to landing the record for amount of them landed in a fight. He could also very easily sub anyone in the UFC. Crazily, 145 ay have harder matchups for Khabib, in Hall, T-City and Kron. 145 has insane jitz.

Last edited:
Very nice to hear this from Hall.
Hespect!

He comes across as very thoughtful and honest. I like watching him to see if people can deal with his jitz but I have to wonder if he even bothers trying to improve his standup? He can kick but his hands are just pathetic to behold.

Maybe not top 15 yet. More in the Andre Fili, Arnold Allen category. But real close. Featherweight is a tough group to get ranked in

Complete respect for his game, evolution, and class though. Wanna see him actually get fights this time around

He made me a fan last night with his respect and humbleness. That’s what martial arts is supposed to be all about.

Hall is a classy guy. Awesome finish im definitely a fan now.

I'm a Ryan Hall fan. Didn't follow his BJJ exploits though or watch TUF.

His fight with Maynard was unforgivable and I cannot be a fan. Pretty upset he submitted BJ too.

Some fighters will never admit to themselves that they are over the hill, even with clear evidence

BJ Penn appears to be one of those fighters

Back