Ryan Garcia in MMA

DrGlaze

Dank Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Looked for a thread on this but couldn’t find one. He says he plans to retire from boxing at 26 and make the switch to MMA. I doubt he actually goes through with it, but it would be fun to see. At 22, if he was serious about it, he would be smart to at least dip his toes into grappling between now and the next 4 years. Thoughts?

He's just teasing, he'll make way more money in Boxing and he would be destroyed in MMA, there's no way he moves

He's just teasing, he'll make way more money in Boxing and he would be destroyed in MMA, there's no way he moves
That’s what I figured too. He says it’s not about the money, but I doubt it. No one would pay him what he would want for the guys he would have to fight starting his career, and if they they throw him in the deep end quick he would get destroyed. Hypothetically though, if he were to take it seriously and start grappling now, he might be good enough in 4 years to survive.

does he know he will be getting 12k/12k?

Why wouldnt he do it? with the internet anyone can organize a PPV. The model has changed, PPV companies no longer take a large cut..look at Tyson Vs Jones..

Garcia vs some famous MMA scrub would do 100k buys at 50 bucks leading to 5 million dollars in profits

He could probably do 100k in Japan Alone (or 10% TV rating) if he fought that scrub Tenshin under MMA rules..it's 0 risk and super easy money..better than boxing..

With streaming technology famous people have the potential to make a lot of money fighting handpicked scrubs in MMA or boxing

you guys need to realize that the old PPV that the UFC has a monopoly on is dying and that internt PPVs have incredible potential.

Aaron Pico without the wrestling?
As if Pico is anywhere close to the level of boxing Garcia is. Pico is awesome to watch and has hands but its not even close in terms of speed, accuracy, movement and combination punching. Garcia wont fight mma but if he did the style would not look like Pico standing.

It's great that fighters from other combat sports competing in mma, it brings uniqueness tbh.

Unless he starts training full time mma now it won't be successful. Boxing is not the best base skill for MMA, which is why so few ever make transition.

Looked for a thread on this but couldn’t find one. He says he plans to retire from boxing at 26 and make the switch to MMA. I doubt he actually goes through with it, but it would be fun to see. At 22, if he was serious about it, he would be smart to at least dip his toes into grappling between now and the next 4 years. Thoughts?

If he was serious there's obviously plenty of potential for him to have success. But since he's already amongst the best of the best currently in his base sport, it's pretty much guaranteed he'll underperform relative to that. The guys who are top of the food chain in their narrower domain almost never reach that height in mma. Marcelo Garcia and Rulon Gardner got a small taste of mma and decided it wasn't for them, Peter Aerts and Jerom LeBanner were meh, James Tony's slick submission skills let him down against Couture. Usually the lower end of the top level who see more value in a dedicated transition do better (Cro Cop, Maia, Cormier, many others I'm sure I'm forgetting). Also the guys who are at the very tip top of a narrower sport would logically have styles that are the most optimized for their particular rulesets, and thus more easily disrupted from their peak performance when the rules change.

All these boxers think they can, then they do a couple sessions of takedown defense training and swiftly forget about it.
James Toney had bigger balls than all of em.

Unless he starts training full time mma now it won't be successful. Boxing is not the best base skill for MMA, which is why so few ever make transition.
i think boxing combined with rasslin is a tried and true solid base. Stipe ain't unsuccessful right?

Back