Rustam Khabilov is the real deal

Kenji Tomiki

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I knew he was good, but not that good. He will learn with this lose and come back a better fighter.

I think this was too much of a step up for him at this point in his career, I'm sure he'll be back in his next fight

Just got caught. I felt he was winning before the submission in my opinion.

He looked sluggish/hesitant, like most of the fighters tonight.

I still think Khabib is the one to look out for

He is obviously really high level.. His striking is a 'B,' at a high level, so he still has a little room to improve there.. But he is an elite fighter. Bendo stayed with it and was mentally stronger tonight and capitalized off RK's mistake.

Khabilov is a beast. Its only a question of time before he gets a title shot. He is top 5 quality.

Yeah it happens especially against someone of the caliber of Bendo

People have been underestimating him for awhile. Masvidal is VERY tough for a grappler to face (watch the Gil and Healy fights) and Rustam looked quite good against him.

He'll be back for sure!

His stock still went up. He lost, but still showed that he can hang

If he works on his cardio and varies up his striking a bit, I can see him posing problems for just about any top ten fighter. I'd like to see khabib vs. Bendo now.

yea, needs better cardio tbh. he was winning the fight tonight before he was finished,

I thought Bendo was a huge step up for him and he wouldn't stand a chance. He did better than I expected and showed he's a top LW. His striking still needs some work, but he's legit.

His stock still went up. He lost, but still showed that he can hang

Yea, Rustam is excellent.

I didn't think he just got caught. Was slick of Benson to feint the jab and then throw the uppercut instead. But even that wouldn't have landed if Rustam was fresh, he had slowed down quite a bit and Benson was still good as new.

I don't know if it was just cardio or maybe a bit of pressure being in the spotlight, but I think Rustam will fight for the belt someday, just not right now.

He will learn how to jab and throw effective combos one day.

Khabilov is probably not worse than Khabib, I thiink given the same opponents he would have have beat all of them.

Didn't look like his cardio could hang, but that makes sense as his style is EXTREMELY taxing. Constant clinching and throwing haymakers will wear anyone out except genetic freaks.

I agree. this was a big step for him, and although it didn't go his way, he's a dangerous man whom I respect even more now. I would love to see him fight another top 5. maybe the winner of punk/MJ or miller/cerrone

he's definitely a great grappler and seems pretty athletic. just think this was to big of a step up for him

Back