Russow the #10 HW?

I'd put Struve at number 10 and Russow 11-15.

Kharitonov > Russow

Rankings are meaningless

so Bisping gets 3 arguably 4 (Wand) chances at a top 10 opponent and is given benefit of the doubt..

Russow gets 1 chance and is dismissed...

If Bisping's only chance was the Hendo fight, he'd deserve the same treatment. Whether his fight with Rashad was boring or not, it was still a SD against a Top 10 (or maybe even Top 5) opponent.

If Russow had beaten the HW equivalents of guys like Stann and Leben, it would be different. I'm no Bisping fan, BTW, but trying to make mechanical Top 10 rules without looking at the fights is as bad as MMA Math.

Russow, after losing to an arm bar, looked decent against Kharitonov a few years ago. That was Pride 33 I believe.

Bisping was #4 BEFORE he beat Brian Stann. He was #4 without ever earning a Top 10 win.

Dan Hardy was #4 with only a single win over Mike Swick (barely Top 10 at the time).

I disagree that you have to beat a Top 10 to be ranked #10. That means that 9 other guys can beat you, and you're 10th, right? So why would you have to beat one of them to be #10?

Well, who was the previous number 10? Enimo(sp)? Duffy? If not, your point has no bearing on mine.

and again, just because it happens doesn't mean I have to like it.

It has happened in the past, sure, but I still don't agree with it. How can you move up if you don't fight up? The only way I agree is if guys fall off the list and you move up by default. This may be what happened.

Rankings aren't based on just one person's performance. Look at the LW division. You had guys like Sotiropoulos move into it by default. For starters, nearly half of the top 10 were non-UFC guys (Melendez, Alvarez, Aoki, and Kawajiri). So you can't very well beat them. Then, you have guys moving weights. Then you have guys losing and dropping down (as you mentioned). You have guys falling off from inactivity.

So one guy loses, you move up by default. Somebody beats you and they have a top 10 win. There are many things that go into how rankings are formed.

Dan Hardy was #4 with only a single win over Mike Swick (barely Top 10 at the time).

Hardy was definitely overrated, but he probably deserved Top 10. His win streak included both Swick and Marcus Davis, who was looking like a decent fighter at the time. Also, the UFC was in an awkward position with GSP back then. They didn't want to keep feeding the best guys (Kos, Fitch and BJ) to GSP over and over again, so they had to try some wild cards. That said, Hardy-GSP was one of the worst title fights in recent memory.

I can't speak for Sherdog, but I can use Fight Matrix rankings to show why Hardy was so high.

He was #17 already when he was signed with the UFC.

His first UFC fight was against Akihiro Gono, who was #10 at the time. A lot of people seem to forget about Gono and that Hardy beat him. That win put Hardy at #10.

Rory Markham was #40. It didn't do much for Hardy's ranking. He just moved up one spot to #9.

Marcus Davis was #22. At that point, Hardy was down to #11 due to big wins for Hughes and Sakurai, who both jumped him in the rankings. After that win, Hardy just moved up one spot to #10.

Mike Swick was #5. Hardy had been pushed back to #11 by then. After that fight, Hardy was moved up to #5.

That is how he got his high ranking, at least with Fight Matrix. The Gono and Swick rankings are what really got him up there. Not to mention he was already ranked pretty high as he was already a high level non-UFC veteran/UFC prospect when he was signed. His ranking isn't as wild as people seem to make it out to be, IMO.

They havent updated some of them it. Still says Shogun is scheduled to fight Gustafsson

I don't know why Sherdog has him ranked so high but then again they also had Schaub in top 10 after he knocked out Cro Cop.

It is quite mind boggling really...

He did not belong there even before the Werdum fight, but remaining top 10 AFTER he was easily tooled like that. Don't know what to say...

Struve, Hunt, Browne, Miocic to the very least deserve to be ahead of him
I don't see how they definitely deserve to be ahead of them. The competition level is probably around the same, and he was ranked when he was on a decent winning streak while other Heavyweights were inconsistent. Sherdog doesn't seem to remove a fighter off of the rankings if they lose to a guy ranked higher than them (much higher in the case of Werdum) which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the rankings are based on wins.

The only person that really should be above him is Struve. But no one in that list is really heads above the other.

In all honesty, no. He doesn't deserve to be Top 10. He'd get mauled by Pat Barry.. hell he'd have a competitive fight with. Joey Beltran.

I don't see how they definitely deserve to be ahead of them. The competition level is probably around the same, and he was ranked when he was on a decent winning streak while other Heavyweights were inconsistent. Sherdog doesn't seem to remove a fighter off of the rankings if they lose to a guy ranked higher than them (much higher in the case of Werdum) which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the rankings are based on wins.

Hunt beat Kongo. Struve beat Miocic and Lavar. Browne beat Struve. I see those as better than Russow's top wins.

But more important than they they all looked great in victory, whereas Russow didn't. Russow has pulled miracle victories (Duffee) and snoozers (Einemo). It seems that people making those rankings don't watch fights and look at the W/L column and past rankings to make their assessments.

If Travis Browne, Cheick Kongo, Mark Hunt, Ben Rothwell or Stefan Struve want his place.

THEN THEY BETTER COME READY

Why is it so hard for 'fans' of particular fighters to admit what others clearly see. No offense, but Russow is not a contender, not even close. I'm sure he's a great person, but he would lose to plenty off guys not even ranked.

In all honesty, no. He doesn't deserve to be Top 10. He'd get mauled by Pat Barry.. hell he'd have a competitive fight with. Joey Beltran.

I think it's far more likely that Russow would use his weight and wrestling to take him down and pound him out rather than him having trouble taking Barry down and trying to stand and bang

Why is it so hard for 'fans' of particular fighters to admit what others clearly see. No offense, but Russow is not a contender, not even close. I'm sure he's a great person, but he would lose to plenty off guys not even ranked.

The problem is that Russow hasn't lost to these guys. You can't remove someone from the rankings because you think he'd hypothetically lose to others

He's been in the top 10 rankings whilst others are starting to get winning streaks. Russows only defeat during this time is to a top 4 ranked fighter, so they can't really replace him

The bigger question is, why is Russow fighting Shawn Jordon, rather than a Cheick Kongo type?

I think it's far more likely that Russow would use his weight and wrestling to take him down and pound him out rather than him having trouble taking Barry down and trying to stand and bang

I think its more likely he'd lose by TKO.
Russow is pretty terrible man.

Back