1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Russian Wrestling Stance

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by suzuki51, Sep 11, 2010.

1. suzuki51

suzuki51 White Belt

What is the advantage of there more straight legged bent at the waist stance? My best guess would be cause they go for more throws/trips but honestly I don't know.

2. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

So this is how it goes:

They get their opponents to turn the wrestling match, into a ‘tie up and push’ match, somewhat like sumo.

the russian will move in, tie up, and will push in hard into his opponent. Then they come out of the tie up, and will do fakes….

They will move in once again, tie up, and will push in, in the traditional, ‘bent-at-the-waist but straight knees Russian stance’. Keep in mind their opponent does not want to step out of bounce, so they will push back. Then they will come out of the tie up.

Meanwhile the Russians are aware they are pushing in and are posting, and their opponent will be looking for throws or ‘pop’ and shoot techniques. So they will stay on a defensive mindset, while in the tie up, and will expect their opponent’s attack, and thus they will counter attack, if the opponent decides to shoot or attempt a throw.

THEN. They will move in on the third time, or so, will FAKE a tie up, and will attack an opponent who’s expecting the Russian to come in to tie up and push once again. The russians are thus able to catch their opponents off balance, and coming in hard into them.

Please look at Ketoev’s entire finals match.

So while on the tie up, the Russians are almost exclusively defensive, and will push, and will only counter attack.

It is right before the tie up, or as soon as there is contact, that the Russian will attack, their off balance opponent.

source -
    Russian Wrestling Tactics (Technique)

3. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

This is how I wrestle now, since I learned the russian two on one, actually.

My new upright stance translated great into judo as well.

4. CyberFreq

CyberFreq Blue Belt

Russians favor a standup game, so their stance is modified to take advantage of keeping their legs away from the opponent's on a shot while making sure they can use their arms for the clinch.