Russian army hand to hand combat

While it does sound very interesting, it also sounds like something that will destroy your body and brain. 3 hour classes, beginning with tough conditioning and then ending with sparring at 80% with guys trying to kill each other? 3-4 times a week? I don't think you could design something on purpose that's more likely to injury and concuss you.

This. I've trained with guys who fought in Thailand, and they all said that the sparring over there is usually light. Because the fighters can't risk being injured before a fight. Occasionally they'll have a hard sparring session, but most of the time they will work technique and strategy. They save the power shots for the bags, pads and the actual fights.

This. I've trained with guys who fought in Thailand, and they all said that the sparring over there is usually light. Because the fighters can't risk being injured before a fight. Occasionally they'll have a hard sparring session, but most of the time they will work technique and strategy. They save the power shots for the bags, pads and the actual fights.
That’s what I’m used to. I trained in Thailand for 3 months and sparring was mostly playful. This was pretty hard sparring and I’m pretty sure they do it in every class, however I may be wrong maybe it was only the day I came. Boxing sparring is always full force I used to some boxing but got my ribs broken and basically stopped going.

giphy.gif
This is what my ARB instructor taught us...

Sergei Kharitonov competed in Army HTH and was a champ.

You have to be tough to train Russian.
Ukrainian

The class ran about 2 hours with the first hour dedicated to super intense conditioning

This is the opposite of what exercise science says is ideal. Basic exercise science says that doing all the exhausting conditioning work first just degrades the skill training..... it says you should still do the hard conditioning, just after skill work, not before

Not one person cracked a smile for the entire time I was there

Yeah that's just normal Russian culture. Not really a smiling group of people

Sounds like a cool experience. Do you think the kicks were effective?

Sounds like a cool experience. Do you think the kicks were effective?
Yeah definitely. There are a lot of fighters who use these karate style snap kicks in both kickboxing and MMA. I found that my Muay Thai kicks were harder to the mid section, but they were able to throw head kicks with much more flexibility and speed.

This is the opposite of what exercise science says is ideal. Basic exercise science says that doing all the exhausting conditioning work first just degrades the skill training..... it says you should still do the hard conditioning, just after skill work, not before

Yeah that's just normal Russian culture. Not really a smiling group of people
We do conditioning training first but both not this intense or long and sparring varies . 3 days a week .

Guys, ARB is basically Combat Sambo with very minor changes. Most MMA fighters from Russia/Caucasus will NOT have ARB as a background, instead they will have Combat Sambo as a background. In fact, Khabib is an International Master of Combat Sambo appointed by the Russian government (not in ARB).
The techniques and the mindstyle of ARB seem to be very similar to combat sambo, where your game plan is to throw some punches (rarely kicks) ---> get as close as possible -------> do a judo throw. The only difference between the two is that the gi color in combat sambo is blue and red, while in ARB it is just white. Also, the ARB headgear has a ice hockey-type headgear while combat sambo has a boxing-type headgear.

Unfortunately, in countries outside of Russia, it is really hard to verify how good your Combat Sambo (or ARB) coach really is and to verify if it is a McDojo or not. There are no belt systems / BJJ-type lineage in Russia, so there are not that many ways to confirm the trainer's quality. Here are a few ways:
-If the person has won enough fights in ARB and Combat Sambo, they might have a Master of Sports certificate, which is an official recognition given by Post-Soviet governments (my coach Steve has one).
-You can always spar with him and see his level.
-Check his social media, I am serious. A lot of the real Sambo guys around the world know each other. He should have friends who are known names in the Sambo industry (which is pretty small outside of Post-Soviet countries). For example, in the US, all Sambo coaches around the country basically know each other.
-Ask him if he has any videos/photos of his fights.

Back