russia vs nato

USSR was a paper champ in the 70's as proven in the '80's.

what are you talking about? they would have gotten pretty deep into NATO territory before the lines would have stabilized, maybe even past Paris.

And as for the soviet-afgan war we kinda meddled in that one, they actually were very close to winning that war. Why? because they'd kill everything and use incredible brutal tactics. Reports of insurgents in this village? They'd completely flatten it..

lol.. maybe if you added the US in there they would be too much for Russia but in an all out war, Turkey would surrender at the sight of the Russian war machine barreling towards it and Europe could be turned to ash.

Russia is not losing a full scale war to anyone except for the USA.

I lol'd pretty hard at "Turkey." Turkey would be lucky to handle Iran and some peasant Kurds in the mountains.

lol, you are delusional. Please tell me how exactly is Russia going to match European spending and manpower? Baby factories beyond Urals?

lol, you are delusional. Please tell me how exactly is Russia going to match European spending and manpower? Baby factories beyond Urals?

What, do you think Russia is going to walk themselves into a hole? Do you think Russia is USSR of the 40's?

How delusional are you?

Russia would unleash their nuclear arsenal on the mighty Europeans. It's 2014 serrrr, not 1941.

lol.. maybe if you added the US in there they would be too much for Russia but in an all out war, Turkey would surrender at the sight of the Russian war machine barreling towards it and Europe could be turned to ash.

Russia is not losing a full scale war to anyone except for the USA.

I lol'd pretty hard at "Turkey." Turkey would be lucky to handle Iran and some peasant Kurds in the mountains.

They have the most powerful economy in the middle east, they have a very strong and capable military going threw a very smooth modernization. I wouldn't say turkey couldn't handle Russia..

then again this is with out nukes.

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/security/2014/05/turkey-military-spending-increase.html#

They have the most powerful economy in the middle east, they have a very strong and capable military going threw a very smooth modernization. I wouldn't say turkey couldn't handle Russia

I would contest that they're part of the mid east. They have nato support and direct European support.

Russia has bullied Turkey on numerous occasions. I doubt that Turkey would be able to do anything.

The next major war that will be fought will not be fought conventionally but with all of the modern tech. It will be insane.

Well OP did state no nukes on this fantasy match up?

No nukes is a stupid question.

The US would not be able to defeat a united Europe in conventional warfare. Let alone Russia defeating a bucket load of countries with extremely modern militaries and economies that would outlast Russia.

Everybody knows that Russia would struggle in conventional warfare against a united Europe.

It is 2014, not 1854.. not considering nukes will yield an obvious answer.

USSR was a paper champ in the 70's as proven in the '80's.
How so? Because of Afghanistan? The US also had bad nights in Korea and Vietnam, but that doesn't make it paper champ. Hell it's about to start ducking Taliban too.

Are a lot of those EU countries in economic turmoil right now? And Russia seems like it is going strong because of the energy they supply to the EU. And how much of the EU GDP is from services, FIRE, or funny money finance, and from actual production that would help them churn out a war machine? If they get no help from Murica, who are they going to buy their hardware from if they cannot make it themselves?

Ok here is my more in depth analyse that i just pulled out of my ass.

If Russia is defending: Europe got no chance, Europe together with US got not chance too, i see a long bloody war, where NATO forces going home, thinking "wtf just happened, we were better everywhere...". Historically it just bad to try to conquer Russia, i am not saying it it impossible, and imo Germans would succeed if they were more friendly, but its just highly unlikely, so in any war where someone is trying to conquer Russia, my money is on Russia.

PS: Regarding Turkey, historically they got a bad record against Russia. They got like 2-7-2 record. But i don't know how good modern turkey is.

And no Mongols didn't conquer Russia, because it was no Russia at the time.

If Russia is attacking: Again historically, in offensive wars Russia were always a paper tiger. Look at what happened in wars with Finland and Sweden, yes Russia/Soviet won both but at what cost, so historically Russia did poorly against western nations- when Russia was attacking (If i remember correctly). And In offensive wars a good economy is important, something that Russia today lacks.

So i say they get stopped in Poland, or even Western Ukraine. :wink:

So yeah, i see a crushing defeat for Russia in an offensive war against Europe, if US is involve, i give it one month before Russia is totally crushed. The whole thing would just be suicidal.

Forget nukes, the amount of banned weapons that would come out of the woodwork in a war like that is enough to worry about. You might as well ask how is NATO going to fight back when France is clouded in mustard gas?

it depends of the era. USSR doesn't have shit "on fighting on 1 front III Reich" :icon_chee

Prime, Healthy, Motivated Third Reich with That Look in it's eye>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any other nation one on one.:icon_twis

Ok here is my more in depth analyse that i just pulled out of my ass.

If Russia is defending: Europe got no chance, Europe together with US got not chance too, i see a long bloody war, where NATO forces going home, thinking "wtf just happened, we were better everywhere...". Historically it just bad to try to conquer Russia, i am not saying it it impossible, and imo Germans would succeed if they were more friendly, but its just highly unlikely, so in any war where someone is trying to conquer Russia, my money is on Russia.

PS: Regarding Turkey, historically they got a bad record against Russia. They got like 2-7-2 record. But i don't know how good modern turkey is.

And no Mongols didn't conquer Russia, because it was no Russia at the time.

If Russia is attacking: Again historically, in offensive wars Russia were always a paper tiger. Look at what happened in wars with Finland and Sweden, yes Russia/Soviet won both but at what cost, so historically Russia did poorly against western nations- when Russia was attacking (If i remember correctly). And In offensive wars a good economy is important, something that Russia today lacks.

So i say they get stopped in Poland, or even Western Ukraine. :wink:

So yeah, i see a crushing defeat for Russia in an offensive war against Europe, if US is involve, i give it one month before Russia is totally crushed. The whole thing would just be suicidal.

we had a way to get in to Russia threw Scandinavia that if we could defeat the soviet forces invading Scandinavia an if we could get the submarines out in time

we had a way to get in to Russia threw Scandinavia that if we could defeat the soviet forces invading Scandinavia an if we could get the submarines out in time

Oh, no doubt. I believe that NATO forces could get as far as Germans did.

There is only one country with any real capability to project power and to seize ground. It was left out of the mix. It would take years for this hypothetical conventional war.

who wins?
no help from america.
no nukes.

does russia have a chance?
does nato have a chance?

Since America is the one cooking the whole stew against Russia, I guess the question is meaningless; rather, it could be formulated as America, England and the eastern NATO members against Russia. Germany and France would hardly want to be involved.

And the answer is historically known: in the late '80s, NATO introduced the doctrine according to which it will respond with tactical nukes to a massive Russian assault - meaning, they don't have a chance against Russia, they would be overrun immediately and nuking the invading force is their only chance. Someone will say that Russia is no Soviet Union, and I would agree - it is stronger. Its army is more professionalized, its weapons are modernized (not to mention more reliable and cheaper to produce), and they have a huge human force at their immediate disposal.

Basically, only China could have a realistic chance of winning a conventional war against the Russians. America and EU would be pulverized.

Since America is the one cooking the whole stew against Russia, I guess the question is meaningless; rather, it could be formulated as America, England and the eastern NATO members against Russia. Germany and France would hardly want to be involved.

And the answer is historically known: in the late '80s, NATO introduced the doctrine according to which it will respond with tactical nukes to a massive Russian assault - meaning, they don't have a chance against Russia, they would be overrun immediately and nuking the invading force is their only chance. Someone will say that Russia is no Soviet Union, and I would agree - it is stronger. Its army is more professionalized, its weapons are modernized (not to mention more reliable and cheaper to produce), and they have a huge human force at their immediate disposal.

Basically, only China could have a realistic chance of winning a conventional war against the Russians. America and EU would be pulverized.

You had me until the last part..

If the EU fights as a unified force, as others point out they have the bodies and the dollars to win. But historically Europe has rationalized away threats until it was too late or almost too late, and aggressors were able to pick off countries one at a time instead of facing the combined might.

Back