1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Russia before soviet union era?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Ogata, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Ogata Gold Belt

I am looking for sources that explains and show cases Russia pre USSR era.

Truth be told, I give credit where credit is due. Soviet union did bring prosperity in a land with no real resources by being industrialist.

Meanwhile middle eastern countries with rich land resources in respect to oil and soil ended up mismanaging their own economy.

Edit:

I realize I misspoke in regards to resources. I thank everyone for informing me about the facts.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. SammyPops Steel Belt

Google The House of Romanov, Katherine the Great, Ivan the Terrible and happy reading.

Their 1920s civil war isinteresting to read about too.

Edit: one really interesting thing is the Romonov's had a couple elite army divisions that they would use to smarten people up; for example, when Katherine had a problem with the Duma, she brought those 2 army formations with her and they surrounded the place, with the meaning that these bad mofos are loyal to me and will fuck you up. Fast forward to the Russian revolution, those army formations were destroyed by the Germans, meaning the Whites did not have the teeth to stop the revolution.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  3. Rygu R.I.P. Obie Platinum Member

It was really cold and murderey

4. Ogata Gold Belt

Thanks man!

I am in a business of finding the best ingredient from the best places. Middle Eastern countries have very excellent soil that cultivates great foods with high quality flavor and nutrition.

Yet they live in a terrible condition in comparison to what they poses due to the greed of government.

Meanwhile the USSR created a booming economy by coming together. They did great things while not ignoring the horrible stuff.

All kidding aside this is very true. Lack of healthy soil due to harsh climate led to period of time that turned people in to cannibals.

5. loyalyolayal Banned Banned

This is why people should finish HS.

Prosperity!

[​IMG]

Carved up Ottoman empire with hastily drawn borders by the Europeans. They had to wait for WW2 to finish before they could properly sucked up & managed all that oil. Why do you think most of the middle-east has propped up monarchy/ruling families? They tried to do that with Iran.

6. SammyPops Steel Belt

Maybe I missed your point, but the USSR was awful, one of the worst regimes in human history.

7. Ogata Gold Belt

High school explains this type of stuff in the most mundane and dispassionate way possible.

Regarding Iran, shahs father reza pahlavi set up a dynasty and modernized Iran. His son mohammad aka last shah of Iran kept screwing people over by giving lucrative jobs, oil and opportunities to British and Americans. Thus it led to 1979 revolutions.

For some odd reason, Americans and British thought that the ayatollahs were going to be more accommodating to them than the shah and thus they didn't help to stop the revolution. Yet the ayatollahs are continuing to screw the people over.

8. Ogata Gold Belt

See I am a bit confused. Some say it was the worse thing that happened to Russia and others say that it created prosperity.

I am trying to educate myself and at this point I have no real opinion on the matter.

9. bufetadanacara Black Belt

"A land with no real resources"

Please, continue...

10. loyalyolayal Banned Banned

Because he was propped up by the British & Americans. You need one ruling house to bribe instead of an entire bureaucracy if the government was democratically elected. Even if it's against the will of the people like what happened with the US led coup against Mossadegh.

11. loyalyolayal Banned Banned

Orchestrated famine is never a good thing.

12. DaleBoca Gold Belt

You’re asking a very broad and vague question. What centuries are you interested in?

But this is quite a good documentary...

13. LEWIS540 .

14. Cole train Gold Belt

As a kid of parents who lived in soviet union, not really from an ordinary citizen view

To quote my father "it was ok"

90s after soviet union fell were messed up though

15. SamSchmidt I crossed time for you belt Banned

Russia is always a fun history subject.

My favorite is the Three Kingdoms era in China. Did I first learn about it through a video game in the 4th grade with the first R3 from Sega? Yeah but I eventually read all the books about it.

16. SammyPops Steel Belt

Oh, I see. I am under the impression that the USSR killed more of its own citizens than any other nation in human history.

17. AGGAMEMNON66 ———Villain———

So.. nothings changed then. Got it.

18. AGGAMEMNON66 ———Villain———

Mao says ‘hello’

But yeah, that whole communism thing. Just bad

19. Thrawn33 JUST BLEED Belt

China "won" that award

20. Goon Dog Furio Belt

Sure, and Venezuela's troubles stem from the fact they also have no natural resources ...except for having the largest proven oil deposits on the planet. The old USSR? Over 21% of the planet's energy resources (oil, gas, coal etc). Look to more socioeconomic issues. Oh, and there was also that thing with the gulags, famine, ethnic cleansing and over a million political executions. Some prosperity ...