Russia and China soon signing Energy Deal to build Pipeline

Pupi

SAVAGE
@Steel
Reaction score
China and Russia are set to cement their energy alliance next week with an expected agreement to build a natural gas pipeline between the two nations that would secure a huge new market for the world's largest energy producer and provide a guaranteed energy supply for China's growing economy as both nations face confrontations with the West.

Russia just sent a message to the United States...it just shrugged its shoulders at the imposed sanctions against it and demonstrated that it has options, other than Europe, as to where to sell its energy. Russia is officially back as a world superpower and is likely to display more acts of influence in the future.

http://www.businessinsider.com/russia-scores-massive-gas-pipeline-deal-with-china-2014-5

Russia has always been a world power. Good for them though.

Unlike Western nations, China has steadily deepened economic ties with Russia in recent months. Chinese companies have been involved in building a bridge from Russia to Crimea and invested in a $27 billion liquid natural gas project with Russia

so because Russia is building a pipeline with a private company they are once again a superpower?

I think you are overestimating Russia. Their growth rate slowed to less than 1% per quarter, hardly an indication of a booming economy.

The problem I have with this is there is no detail. What price is China paying for the gas? I'll put money on it that it is shitload less than Ukraine.

Not in the eyes of many. Russians feel a deep embarrassment after the fall of the USSR which accounts for the sudden surge in Nationalism. Pretty similar to the rise of Nazism in Germany after the embarrassment of the Versailles Treaty.

so because Russia is building a pipeline with a private company they are once again a superpower?

I think you are overestimating Russia. Their growth rate slowed to less than 1% per quarter, hardly an indication of a booming economy.

The problem I have with this is there is no detail. What price is China paying for the gas? I'll put money on it that it is shitload less than Ukraine.

Probably a lot more money in it than this one:

Unlike Western nations, China has steadily deepened economic ties with Russia in recent months. Chinese companies have been involved in building a bridge from Russia to Crimea and invested in a $27 billion liquid natural gas project with Russia

This is good news for western producers. More LNG ports will be fast tracked, Canada and the US will increase oil and gas exports to Europe. Should lead to job growth across the board.

We will gladly take customers they dont want.

lol this lets not also forget that its putin running the country. All that money will go into military crap an not helping his country. Russian politics are run like a mafia

Not as much as Europe. These negotiations have been going on for years now for the very reason.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...-gas-deal-as-crisis-forces-russia-s-hand.html

Gazprom needs the equivalent of about $13.50 per million British thermal units to profitably finance the pipeline and the development of Siberian gas fields to feed it, a total outlay of $90 billion, Maxim Moshkov, an energy analyst at UBS AG in Moscow, said by e-mail. CNPC won

hello Scrody,

ayup, Russia never really went anywhere, and its understandable that they'd ally themselves with their fellow autocratic superpower, China.

- IGIT

Not in the eyes of many. Russians feel a deep embarrassment after the fall of the USSR which accounts for the sudden surge in Nationalism. Pretty similar to the rise of Nazism in Germany after the embarrassment of the Versailles Treaty.

hiya Pupi,

Russians themselves may feel that way over the breakup of the Soviet Union, but with the vast energy reserves coupled with their nuclear arsenal, Russia has always been a superpower - and i think comparing the vanquished Nazis with Russia is overstating things a bit.

- IGIT

hello all,

if folks are alarmed at the strength of Russia, the way to cut Mr. Putin off at the knees is pretty simple.

alternative energy.

if green tech becomes affordable (or Thorium power ever comes to pass), that'll be that, as far as their economy goes. it will tank, just like the fall in oil prices helped gut the Soviet Union.

- IGIT

hiya Pupi,

Russians themselves may feel that way over the breakup of the Soviet Union, but with the vast energy reserves coupled with their nuclear arsenal, Russia has always been a superpower - and i think comparing the vanquished Nazis with Russia is overstating things a bit.

- IGIT

The nazis weren't vanquished at Versailles, and the Germans had economic capacity that the Russians don't have. Russia is reasserting itself regionally, but it's a global power only if some neighboring power wants to push it's military deep into Russian territory.

Russia is a gas station masquerading as a country. Putin is a good politician but a terrible economist.

He's placed every single one of Russia's eggs in the energy basket. Even a large increase in world supply of LNG and/or oil could tank their economy.

This is no world superpower. It's not even a developed country yet. At sub 1% growth, it will take a long time to get there.

Take a seat Putin.

The nazis weren't vanquished at Versailles, and the Germans had economic capacity that the Russians don't have. Russia is reasserting itself regionally, but it's a global power only if some neighboring power wants to push it's military deep into Russian territory.

I think it is a fair comparison. After ww1 the Germans were humiliated and felt they didn't lose fairly. The Russians could easily feel the same way.

The catch is the fall of the soviet union wasn't the end of the cold war. The us and Russia were already working things out. They were both publicly declaring support for each other right before the collapse. Still I think people just chose to have a selective memory about how the cold war ended.

Russia is a gas station masquerading as a country. Putin is a good politician but a terrible economist.

He's placed every single one of Russia's eggs in the energy basket. Even a large increase in world supply of LNG and/or oil could tank their economy.

This is no world superpower. It's not even a developed country yet. At sub 1% growth, it will take a long time to get there.

Take a seat Putin.

Senator McCain so good of,you to join sherdog.

Lol, yes I've borrowed that line from him.

I found it apt, after studying the Russian economy and its vulnerabilities.

Why you directin' your hate on Russia recently, Ishaq? That's a new hat for ya. It makes me uncomfortable to agree with you so much!! :icon_chee

lol, only thing going for Putin is approval rating but then again I quess Russians like their economy going to shitter. Maybe he will reach 90% approval rating if Visa and Mastercard stop working on first of july. Doubt that government workers really like to travel either.

http://barentsobserver.com/en/secur...and-military-employees-traveling-abroad-13-05

MVD has prepared a blacklist of 150 countries their employees no longer can visit. Norway, Sweden and Finland are on the list, as well as all other EU member countries and nations around the world that have an agreement with the U.S. on mutual extradition, reports Izvestia. Countries like North Korea, Cuba and Vietnam are not on the list.

They still have some very good options available to them though!

Back