Running

deckingdutchman

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've been doing martial arts for about 5 years now (I'm 19), but never did much in terms of running. I weight lifted, trained (obviously), and did stuff like burpees and sprints for conditioning.

Yesterday I ran long distance for practically the first time ever, and did 2.25 very hilly miles in 19 minutes with relative ease. I kindda enjoyed it and figured I would pick up running 3 days a week to add to my conditioning.

My question is, can I work up to running, let's say, a half marathon without having to worry about loosing muscle, or is there a distance I should restrict myself too? I will keep weightlifting and fighting.

I'm 19, 6'3" and 210lbs.

My question is, can I work up to running, let's say, a half marathon without having to worry about loosing muscle, or is there a distance I should restrict myself too? I will keep weightlifting and fighting.

Don't know about "half marathon" but Tyson ran 7-8 miles per day. Lots of boxers and fighters run a lot like that. Fedor says he runs about the same amount.

Why don't you just run as much as you want and if you start losing muscle or weight you can eat more/run less. No one else can tell you how much your body can handle.

yea i know... what i really meant by "long distance" was that it was not a sprint. my bad poor word choice.

I was going to say lol

Play it by ear. Do some longer runs (up to 8 milers) and some shorter hard runs and some interval work and some pure sprint sessions.

I would say though, ease into the volume because things are take too much strain when running if you're a big lad

too much running coupled with poor nutrition will cause u to lose strength. Iknow that from experience. Running also burns off so many calories, u have to be very careful.

Id say run 3-5 miles 3-4 days a week and be sure to eat well on those days.

Ive been running for 2 years and have lost signiciant strength due to not replenishing properly and running half marathons.

too much running coupled with poor nutrition will cause u to lose strength. Iknow that from experience. Running also burns off so many calories, u have to be very careful.

Id say run 3-5 miles 3-4 days a week and be sure to eat well on those days.

Ive been running for 2 years and have lost signiciant strength due to not replenishing properly and running half marathons.
Aren't you trying to constantly lose weight though?

I've been doing martial arts for about 5 years now (I'm 19), but never did much in terms of running. I weight lifted, trained (obviously), and did stuff like burpees and sprints for conditioning.

Yesterday I ran long distance for practically the first time ever, and did 2.25 very hilly miles in 19 minutes with relative ease. I kindda enjoyed it and figured I would pick up running 3 days a week to add to my conditioning.

I'm 19, 6'3" and 210lbs.

i don't know if this is true, but i've heard (someone feel free to correct me)
it's not so much the distance that you run that causes you to lose strength, but the intensity and time that it takes you.
for instance someone who runs 7 miles in like 42 minutes will not lose or hardly lose any muscle mass as opposed to someone who runs 7 miles in like 70 minutes.
plus nutrition can be a factor.

Would his running workout also depend on his body type? (ie. Ectomorphic, Mesomorphic, or Endomorphic)

Back