running with wieghts

marine

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hey hows it going i am doing pretty good with my cardio but getting bored i was thinkin about running with some wieghts how would that effect my body i have some 5 pound weights would that like get my heart rate up quicker and aid in me sweating more

running with weight is not a good idea in my opinion...

holding them at least...

put a backpack on and step it the fuck out teuful...

put your fuckin' ruck on, throw a sandbag in the radio pouch, and start beating fuckin' feet...

After hearing that, I remember reading that Big Bill Kazimer used to put ankle weights on, have weights in a back pack and then hold dumbells while he ran up stadium stairs..Just awesome..

Something like that seems to be fine, but long distance stuff, no way.

I read before that fooball (soccer) players sometimes wear weighted vests when training or playing training matches, but generally not more than 5% of their bodyweight extra.

where is the best place to put the weights, the ankles ? and sprinting with weights in the ankles would be ok ?

DO NOT, use ankle weights. EVERYONE I know who as them has used them seriously in training has seriously fucked up knees. My suggestion: grab a sandbag and sprint it up a hill. Holding onto weights isn't going to hurt anything either.

Urban said:
DO NOT, use ankle weights. EVERYONE I know who as them has used them seriously in training has seriously fucked up knees. My suggestion: grab a sandbag and sprint it up a hill. Holding onto weights isn't going to hurt anything either.

yep, ankle weights are a big no-no. they will fuck up your knees...

as for running with hand held weights, i guess the question is how you go about doing it...

grabbing a sand bag and running it up a hill is different than doing 3 miles with hand held weights. i've done that before, and it served to do nothing but tire my hands out. in fact, it took away from my cardio b/c i was having to deal with lower arm exhaustion. it also taxed my shoulders and back in a bad way, as i was forced to run stiff b/c i couldn't swing my arms in a natural gait...

you will run stiffly and with no movement, and your lower back and spine will take a hit...

at least mine did...

you might be different...

running a sandbag up a hill is ok, but i just wouldn't put distance on it...

Running with 25lbs. plates, the kind with the cut-out grips, did wonders for my grip. I'm still trying to find those weights that look like clay pots, which would be awesome for grip.

For sprints, they make me nervous, so I switch to 15lbs. sandbags or the 75lbs. throwing dummy.

If you are looking to make your legs work harder then go with poly and the weighted ruck(backpack for you civilians), just bear in mind that it is extra shock on the back, knees, and shins. So, you damn well sure better progress or you will be sitting on the sidelines.

weight vests are pretty cool imo since they're placed around your core rather than ankles or arms

I will say again, do not use ankle weights. I have tired the weights int eh and thing, but with small weights, mainly to help my arm endurance because my armjs gave out on for for long runs. I would use either rocks or small dumbells, rocks being better because I could ditch them whenever I felt like it. I tried a backpack with some weight in it when I was younger (9th or 10th grade maybe) but gave it up because it moved up and down on my back as rubbed off my skin. This might be avoidable with a quality rucksack though, I don't know.

I am planning on getting into some hiking wiht heavy weight on my back when I return to New York. I am planning on putting a lot fo weight back there, starting at maybe 25 pounds, but then steadily increasing until I near my own body weight, and then just walking on the roads and hills near my house. I have really gotten into walking this year now that I live in a city, and sometimes walk upt ot 4 hours a day, but all unweighted.

Get a good adjustable pack and keep the heavy weight up high and tight. Unfortunatly, sometimes you get rubbed anyways.

Using weights at the ends of your limbs is bad. They used to have "heavy hands" where everyone would walk arount the block holding dumbells. The problem with this is that it extends all the joints and loosens your ligaments. This will happen at the wrist and knee mostly (depending on where the weight is). There is also effects on the hips and shoudlers. Once you lengthen ligaments they do not go back. People were complaining about wrist/knee problems like crazy and they stopped recommending this for people. Ask your parent, I'm sure they remember having a lot of people walk around with dumbells, it was quite popular.

I would either use something like a heavy sandbag if I was doing fast sprints or just get a weighted vest if I was going to do something longer. They make great weighted vests that have little inserts for 1/2 or 1lb increments. Having a backpack with weights would concern me just because it will bounce around a lot and may mess up your gait. Also, the weight is only on one side of you and will probably mess up your posture. Save up and get the dough for a weighted vest.

Hell, go to you local TJMAX outlet sore and get yourself a regular vest. Then go to a gun supply store and get lead shot. Rip and fill with lead shot and make your own weighted vest for cheaper.

Rjkd12 said:
Using weights at the ends of your limbs is bad. They used to have "heavy hands" where everyone would walk arount the block holding dumbells. The problem with this is that it extends all the joints and loosens your ligaments. This will happen at the wrist and knee mostly (depending on where the weight is). There is also effects on the hips and shoudlers. Once you lengthen ligaments they do not go back. People were complaining about wrist/knee problems like crazy and they stopped recommending this for people. Ask your parent, I'm sure they remember having a lot of people walk around with dumbells, it was quite popular.

I would either use something like a heavy sandbag if I was doing fast sprints or just get a weighted vest if I was going to do something longer. They make great weighted vests that have little inserts for 1/2 or 1lb increments. Having a backpack with weights would concern me just because it will bounce around a lot and may mess up your gait. Also, the weight is only on one side of you and will probably mess up your posture. Save up and get the dough for a weighted vest.

Hell, go to you local TJMAX outlet sore and get yourself a regular vest. Then go to a gun supply store and get lead shot. Rip and fill with lead shot and make your own weighted vest for cheaper.

My mom still does it, must be no one told her. When I had them in my hands, I kept my elbows bent and my arms pumping like normal. My forearms got eally tired from it, and my shoulders and grip less so.

The old fashion way is to tie yourself to a car and have the car drive at a certain speed and you have to keep up if you don't then you will fall and the car will drag you.

Back