Running with music

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by rEdShawks, Apr 30, 2008.

1. rEdShawks

rEdShawks Brown Belt

Does running without music give you some type of mental toughness, and is somehow better for you? I run l5k's and 10k's and some triathlons, so if i train with music will i be at a disadvantage when i run my triathlon where music is not allowed, are there any other disadvantages to music?

2. Rocked

Rocked Brown Belt

Music really can help, just keep you going, but one disadvantage that you may have with training, is that your form will change from carrying the your music, to when your not. I never train with music now because I have a partner to train with and there is no need to put music on as we run together. The disadvantage is really a mental one as you don't have something pushing you.

3. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

I think for really short work (say sub 1 min) music has no place because it throws you off too much.

If you're going to go for something long (say 20 min +) if you pick some music with an appropriate tempo it can keep you going beyond what is comfortable

4. Revok

Revok Brown Belt

Music has it's uses, but it can affect your pacing if you let it. Most serious runners will go without it during important runs in order to really focus 100% on what their body is doing.

5. JinKazama

JinKazama Red Belt

yea it def helps but can be a hindrance if u trained with it and then u can use it for comp

6. UrbanSavage**

UrbanSavage** Pepe Silvia

For me I found that for the best results with running, I have to concentrate on how I'm running and my breathing and I just can't do that if I have headphones on. If I can get a stereo system or something though, while I'm working out in one room then that's beneficial. I think that for some reason, the headphones mess with my senses and I can't run at my best. If mental toughness or quitting is an issue, though, music can help you to weather the storm and continue past the point of fatigue.

7. stu3ufc**

stu3ufc** Yoshihiro Akiyama

i have gone with and without-- i currently run to music-- and far more enjoy my running with music, its just more fun and can put u in a better state

if you want good concentration and mental toughness --really go without-- but u gotta be in ur own head --telling urself to run faster, harder, longer

music blocks out those crappy thoughts of "oh lets stop" "im bored, i cant be bothered lets cut it short"

i cud never lift weights without music tho--one day i forgot my music and the radio was broken --so the gym was silent except for grunts and groans---

8. stu3ufc**

stu3ufc** Yoshihiro Akiyama

for the fight game no

but for marathons maybe

9. SnowMongoose

SnowMongoose Blue Belt

maybe I missed it, but why would race organizers disallow ipods/etc for their competitors?

that being said, I have a damn hard time running, or doing most any cardio without some tunes...
    I blame my ADD, but I just can't keep going without it.
    (and I was diagnosed ADD before it became popular, so that's not just me making excuses for being a spazz)

exceptions being when I'm mountain biking, music only helps then on the way up, on the way down, totally don't need it then
    :)

10. Biggiebrother**

Biggiebrother** Brown Belt

i dont run with music

I let my mind wander when i run

11. indigoluxe

indigoluxe Yellow Belt

Autistic runner right huuur.

Seriously, I don't know what it is. But so often when I run, I start counting in my head. Up to 100, and then start again. I catch myself doing it sometimes, it's totally subconscious. I like it though, helps me keep my pace. I think I'm subconsciously using it to track my cadence and breathing..

12. Ian Coe

Yeah I started without but I need to listen to more cultural stuff so perfect time when I'm doing my longer runs.

I used to agree 100% on the lifting. But my gym plays the gayest most useless lifting music in the world, so some poppa roach playing is good to drain out the crap

If only it was pure quiet

13. vince89

vince89 Banned Banned

Tell me about it, sadly I train in shorts so I have nothing to attach my MP3 player to - so I have to withstand the gayness :/

14. Ian Coe

Wear swimming shorts

Thats all I ever wear in the gym

15. No Quarter

No Quarter Blue Belt

I have to run/lift with my own music to block out the crappy radio station that my gym is permanantly fixed on.

16. Oreomeister

Oreomeister Blue Belt

I listen to music because running is the most boring exercise in the world.

17. heritagemma

heritagemma Purple Belt

They disallow headphones because they sometimes try to warn of harzards, or communicate directions or obstructions.

18. ValeTudoShogun

ValeTudoShogun Blue Belt

Music can help pump you up etc, takes my attention away from my aching ankles.

What do you listen to when running?
    Lifting?

19. gnfnrs

gnfnrs White Belt

I prefer running to music, and especially listening to some complex prog [email protected] I find myself listening so much on the stories Symphony X or Ayreon are playing about I don't get bored or tired.

20. Ian Coe

run faster if bored