Running with hand weights for cardio

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by WestLynnGangster, Oct 14, 2010.

1. WestLynnGangster

WestLynnGangster Blue Belt

What's everyone opinion on this? My coach noticed that my cardio was lacking today, and my arms were burning out earlier than usual (I took a week off training to study for my exams). He suggested I run with handweights. I can imagine that there are pros and cons to this.

Pros: Muscular endurance in arms and shoulders while improving cardio.
    Cons: Puts strain on joints.

Even if I decide to do it, I am not sure how many times a week I should use weights when I run. I don't want any joint injuries. Also, I will be using two pound weights. Any input would be great, thanks!

2. Staring At Fate

Staring At Fate Refuse To Lose.

Use or buy a weighted vest forget about running with weights.

3. 663

663 White Belt

shadow boxing with weights will get you the same result. 1 week away from training would not really affect your training. you should be up to speed in no time

4. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

eh just get back into it and it'll come back in no time.

5. NovaUniaoWesty

NovaUniaoWesty Yellow Belt

It will help develope your arm strength and ability to keep your arms up but it wont help your cardio asfar as striking is concerned.

Striking, grappling, mma these are all anaerobic exercises, ergo doing an AEROBIC EXERCISE (like running) isn't going to do that much for you.

Do some weight/cardio circuits i.e. crossfit, kettlebells, burpees, heavybag rounds. Mix some of these weight and cardio exercises into 5x5min rounds (work up to it ofcourse).

6. mrpopenfresh

mrpopenfresh Red Belt

How bout swimming, or the rowing machine? I wouldn't suggest any impact exercise with added weight.

7. ktrp

ktrp Green Belt

Striking and MMA are primarily aerobic-alactic. They rely most heavily on the aerobic system with alactic bursts.

Running with weights is, I suppose, an attempt to do two things at once - improve shoulder/arm muscular endurance while improving cardiac output at the same time. I imagine shadowboxing with weights at an appropriate intensity might be better.