Running with added weight: What is your take on this?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Taskforce3Tango, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Taskforce3Tango

Taskforce3Tango Loose cannon

So over the years I've always wondered what is the advantages and disadvantages of running with weights. Being in the infantry we to a lot of heavy movements some of which we run based on time constraints. What kind of effects does this have on the body. Is the juice worth the squeeze? So to speak.

I know running is high impact already and adding weight to that cannot be very healthy in my opinion. I see these old infantry guys walking around at age 35, but looking 65. As a leader it is my job to protect my soldiers and insure that they are doing what is right for their bodies.

My questions are:

If it's not so taxing on the body then....
    How much weight is too much? Mass/weight percentage wise.
    Does distribution matter a whole lot?
    What are the long term effect on the body?
    What are the results of this form of training?

Thoughts?

2. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I was in the Marine Corps infantry and know exactly what you're talking about. Running with weight is only good for short distances. The guys you see that are all jacked up from years in the infantry basically comes from a number of things; stress, lack of sleep, carrying heavy loads for massive amounts of time, sleeping on the hard ground, pushing the body harder than it is capable of, living off of shitty MRE's etc etc. It will all kick your ass in the end. I used to take my guys out on runs with MTV flack jackets on with full sappi plates and a pack, but only for about a 2-3 miles max. Train smart and you'll be fine

3. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

When running (whether it's bodyweight, or added weight doesn't matter) the impact increases expontentially for a heavier runner. I don't think someone can give an exact cutoff for what's a reasonable amount of added weight...the goal should be able to minimize the impact of training, while still preparing physically. So as little running with weight as possible is my opinion.

Ideally you'd want the weight to sit as close as to where the center of gravity naturally sits. Like a weighted vest, or I supose in your case, body armor, rather than a heavy back pack.

The way I see it, there are two general elements being trained, first is cardio and endurance, this can be trained without added weight, since you can always make things more challenging by running faster. The second is being able to support the added weight of equipment for an extended period. I'd suggest that as much as possible, any training done with added weight not be distance running, but short runs, sprints, or challenging hikes, if there are some good hills you can make use of.

4. Taskforce3Tango

Personally I hate that we run with rucksacks on. I'm still pretty low on the command... lieutenant. So I really have no say in much, but when I do have a say I will. Some of these old school guys still live the old army ways.

Thanks for the advice and I welcome more.

5. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

There is a difference between running with a weight vest on or a ruck (bad) and running with ankle and wrist weights on (stupid). I personally would save the ruck humps for Mt Motherfucker and other such elevations where just walking is enough of a physical and mental demand. I also agree with the short distance advice.

6. Searcher

Searcher Yellow Belt

7. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

hmmm the longest he's done is a 22 miler with a 55 pound pack. not. that. impressive. But he does have some good info.

8. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Got to know how to run, if you are not heel striking, you will be relatively fine with added weight.

9. Taskforce3Tango

I am grateful that the army finally allowed some boots that may help mitigate some of the stress on the body.

Also moving 55lbs 22 miles (depending on the time) is no joke. Of course I've moved more further, but it really depend on time. On Friday we did a 4.5 mile conditioning march, only we did 100-200 meter sprints. I didn't mind that at all really and I can see how one would think short distances is a good idea. I think I would much rather run with a vest on than with a ruck. I've learned that distribution is just as important as all the other factors. My last march was 18 miles with a combat load (60-70 lbs rough estimate). Only I had to carry some extra gear that I've never had before. I tried to put it on the top, which would have been ideal, but because of the size and shape I had to carry it on the back. I've never had so many problems with a ruck march in my life. My feet were pretty much on solid blister when I was done. Lesson learned there.

Anyway I wasn't always infantry so a lot of this is new to me. When I was enlisted the most I ever carried was a weapon and vest.

Again thanks for the advice. It's good to get input from people that aren't trying to prove they have the biggest dick.

10. Taskforce3Tango

I'm off to Ranger school in a month so I'm trying to prepare for this as much as possible.

11. Sir Punchalot

Sir Punchalot Red Belt

Once you get to where I am right now, with a busted knee from running with weights that hasn't gotten better in five years, you'll never consider running with weights again - at least not on a regular basis orover longer distances. I have to live with that knee every single day, and let me tell you: it's bitch. It really is. Every single gym visit is a reminder that I used to run with weights. No fun.

12. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

Run your ass off without weight, and get some sleep now. That's about as prepared as you are going to be. You want to go into Ranger school uninjured, reasonably fresh, and well conditioned for endurance.

(Not a ranger, but former infantry and I know a LOT of ranger school grads)

13. Taskforce3Tango

Sorry about that dude. I know what you mean though. When I was enlisted I came back from Iraq and was diagnosed with patellar tracking disorder in both knees. My right was the worst one. I made the decision that I would not let that stop me. That was when I turned to martial arts. I've lived with pain most of my life. I've had lower back pain since I was 15 now 30. So it's nothing new to me.

My first step was to cut weight. I figured the less weight I had on my body the less impact I would create on my knees. My PTD was a muscular thing. My muscles were pulling the kneecap to the side causing the patella to grind away at my cartilage. So I was hoping that a few months of conditioning would help. That mixed with supplements of omega 3 6 9 glucosimine and chondroiten seemed to help a lot. That only took me so far though, it was going to a chiropractor that seemed to be the best thing for it. As well as my back problems. My next step is acupuncture I will let you know how that turns out. My advice if to talk to people that have had these problems and find out what they did. You may be surprised that there is something you can do. Good luck to you.

I run a lot it seems and I'm a pretty good runner. I took the RPFT (ranger physical fitness test) last week and scored a 36:50 on my 5 mile run. Which isn't bad since I haven't really been running much. My top score was from OCS 30:50 for 5 miles. I plan on getting down to at least 32:00. I'm also going to to short quick ruck marches 15:00 miles or less. But most of all I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for it. I know they love the fuck fuck games so I have to prepare for that. I want this too bad to fail. I owe it to myself and my future platoon. It's something I've wanted since I was a young Joe.

14. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

aaaaaah an officer. Like the other guy said distribution of weight is very important when moving long distances with a ruck. Heavy shit goes at the bottom. I was a Marine, we used MOLLY packs instead of rucks which can typically hold more shit which is important when heading to combat, but sucks a lot more when you actually get there. Ankle and knee maintenance is the most important thing in the world if you want to last. Also go buy some mole skin before you head to RANGER school for the blisters you'll get on your feet

15. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

There are exercises you can do to get your patella tracking right by getting your VMO to flex first when you walk or run. A google search of runner's knee will turn up a lot.

16. Taskforce3Tango

Yeah yeah another enlistee has turned to the dark side. I don't think they will let us take mole skin to Ranger school, but I'm pretty sure we can have athletic tape. It's not the same, but better than nothing.

Thanks I will check it out. I still have pain every now and then, but never too long.

17. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

That is a very loose "relative". Also, remember the footwear these people have to wear.

18. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

I have run with similar footwear in outdoor expeditions. When i said relative, is because anything you do its ultimately degenerative.

19. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Completely forgot. Experiment with different types of boot socks. Some you'll like more than others. Don't assume the thick ones are the best, because some can be horrible when wet with sweat or from the elements. Also, extra padded soles are a HUGE help

20. Taskforce3Tango

Good call. I've got a pair of Garmont T8 with Fox River socks that I usually wear on a ruck march they are phenomenal. As far as shoes go I think I will stick with the new balance while on duty, but off duty I want to try out those Sketchers with the running sole added.