Running vs. a Sherk style routine

High rep burpees are just as tough, if not more tough if you devote maximal jump and full push up into every one.

Cardio is all about specificity though, so i'd rather dedicate more time to intense circuits that last the length, or slightly longer than the round you are fighting in. Then just throw in the odd run where you feel like it.

OK months and months later and I've been doing both a sherk style routine and running. In my opinion running has been far superior compared to my high intensity mat exercises that I have been doing. This is because I get extremely fatigued and sore from doing them and it takes a lot of work to raise my heartrate when my muscles are sore, trying to do pushups and other exercises. I can run every single day and I don't get very sore at all. I also find it really works your heart perfectly because there is constant stress whereas with my Rutten exercises it's a bunch of explosions that raise the heart rate but then the heartrate eventually goes down due to sheer exhaustion.

Running > Matt Cardio

I absolutely HATE running! I only do it because when I run hard, it feels JUST like at grappling class, but I still love doing other things as well as running!:)

If you dont build up some basic fitness jumping into the sort of thing Sean Sherk does will probably hinder you if anything.

The thing they dont show and that no one talks about, is that all these guys who are now doing all this crazy anaerobic stuff have probably been running all their lives before this anaerobic/circuit warrior training stuff became trendy so they already had that base. People like Ross Enamait for example, he doesnt recommend long slow runs but he did them alot in his youth so hes built the base from them. I doubt his methods work as well on an untrained individual as they did on him when he first started using them.

I've Hughes' routine on his website and I wouldn't exactly call his running slow.

Training & Nutrition - Matt-hughes.com

30 minute run on treadmill, start at 6 mph and every five minutes go up 1/2 mile per hour

That's pretty damn fast if you ask me.

Fedor is also known for doing long runs for cardio. He was asked what he does and it was something like 4-5 miles in 30 minutes or something. He also says he does grappling and hard training for cardio.

But Bas is right obviously , running and circuit training are two differnt animals. Obvious reasons, circuit training uses all your muscles groups one after the other and gets your out of breath quick because of all the oxygen your body's muscles need- which is closer to a fight than running. But of course fast running and sprints increase your wind and cardio.

The biggest myth in bodybuilding is body part training, it's complete shit, you CANNOT train body parts, go to an autopsy and see for yourself. When doin chest you think your just hittin chest? A whole body programme took me to new levels courtesy of Stuart Mcrobert, John Christy etc

High rep burpees are just as tough, if not more tough if you devote maximal jump and full push up into every one.

All the great things i hear about Burpees i can never stick to them long enough to break a sweat, i feel like im doing them wrong.. And i instead just hop on the treadmill for a few miles and call it good..

I have heard that running is often times about who has bigger lungs. I have heard that deep breathing will enhance your lung capacity. Then I have heard you can't increase your lung capacity. Then I have heard numbers on marathon runners lung capacity being bigger (i'm sure through long distance deep breathing involved in running it has to increase your lung capacity at least a little). I heard numbers on a website once stating that marathon runners have typically three times the lung capacity of a normal person. If running can stimulate your cardio and increase lung capacity through deep breathing wouldn't the ultimate routine be heavy deadlifts and running, followed up before a fight with muscular conditioning exercises. Boy am I trailing off...

It isn't that they are genetically predeposed to having larger lung capacity, or that they were born with it. The body adapts to your training. Just like Frank Shamrock said in his tapes, if you live everyday with a 200lb weight on your back, your body would grow a support structure for it. The body will adjust and evolve itself so that it is perfect for whatever training you are doing.

Hughes runs 30-45 minutes 3 or 4 times a week after waking up. Those are some of his runs. But he also runs 30 minutes, starting at 6 mph and taking it up 0.5 mph every 5 minutes after his weight training. So we are talking about 7 or 8, at least 30 min runs that go pretty fast. He runs at least 24 miles a week, plus all the grappling and striking training.

Marathon runners run a lot, so their heart rate goes up slowly regardless of the fact they are running at 8 or 9 miles an hour for 2 entire hours. However how strong are they? Did Bass make him do pushups, shadowboxing, etc? How about his form? If the guy was used to running and running only, yes, he could have gassed. Matt Hughes could do all that matt work like nothing and if he runs a marathon, he could be gassed after 1 hour if he goes at the other guys' pace (Close to 9 mph OUTDOORS). Maybe he would gas before. Those 30 min treadmill runs average about 7 mph. Imagine running close to 9 for 2 hours.

You should train for the sport. Randy does heavy as fuck intervals, those are the best because they resemble the fight more.
Yes, Nick Diaz may never gas since he's used to train and all the running keeps him with super tank. But how explosive is he? Not every much.

Hughes runs 30-45 minutes 3 or 4 times a week after waking up. Those are some of his runs. But he also runs 30 minutes, starting at 6 mph and taking it up 0.5 mph every 5 minutes after his weight training. So we are talking about 7 or 8, at least 30 min runs that go pretty fast. He runs at least 24 miles a week, plus all the grappling and striking training.

Marathon runners run a lot, so their heart rate goes up slowly regardless of the fact they are running at 8 or 9 miles an hour for 2 entire hours. However how strong are they? Did Bass make him do pushups, shadowboxing, etc? How about his form? If the guy was used to running and running only, yes, he could have gassed. Matt Hughes could do all that matt work like nothing and if he runs a marathon, he could be gassed after 1 hour if he goes at the other guys' pace (Close to 9 mph OUTDOORS). Maybe he would gas before. Those 30 min treadmill runs average about 7 mph. Imagine running close to 9 for 2 hours.

You should train for the sport. Randy does heavy as fuck intervals, those are the best because they resemble the fight more.
Yes, Nick Diaz may never gas since he's used to train and all the running keeps him with super tank. But how explosive is he? Not every much.

2 hour marathon? lol what times you reading, I'm sure the world record is like 2hr 5mins or something

The more ways you condition your cardio the better.
Which is what i believe sherk said (insert steriod joke here).
However, i belive it holds true...if you do endurance, interval or circuit training
or swimming v.s running only. The opposite is going to be hell.
Case in point i prefer to run intervals on track and tredmill but hate jogging.
I remember doing my first 5k, and i was dying however the peopel i ran with prob. could do interval traning.

i agree. it's about mixing it up to many try and discredit running just because they dont like it. really to have great cardio you should do a mix of cardio training the more the better. and a good 45 min to 1 hour run a few times per week should not be left out of the mix.

Great post

the thing about running is that it's so easy to find an excuse not to do it.

Back