Running vs. a Sherk style routine

Using athletes is a bad example of what works. There's countless cases of people who succeed regardeless of their training.

I try to mix conditioing exercises that utilize type I & type II muscles. Intermidiate distance running (6-10 miles) mixed with short sprints in intervals works well for me. Weight lifting is important for strength, but power lifting is especially important for explosive movements. this and sprints helps conditioning for fast twitch muscles. Plyometrics are great for both types of muscles and resistance training. Basically my rule is this: If it really sucks and I really hate doing it, it is probably something I need to do more of...

Find a trail and run it and tell me its boring

Word. Running trails, forests and crazy shit like that is very fun and a great workout. You have to worry about things in your way...so you dodge, jump, duck...(What is this, Dodgeball the movie? :icon_surp)

Alot of fun!!

Medium distance cardio (10-15k run, 45 minutes on the elliptical, etc) IMO is great for practicing relaxation, breathing, and promoting recovery. I don't think of it as event-specific conditioning necessarily, and I don't think that it should be difficult to the point of significant lactic acid buildup (and muscle fiber type conversion). But it can be done daily IMO with no ill effects so long as it is complimented by event-specific conditioning, weight training and sufficient calories/sleep.

If nobody has tried it yet I would recommend listening to your visualization tracks while doing some indoor cardio at a low-medium intensity (I usually do 45 minutes on the elliptical with my HR around 140). It is an excellent way to practice relaxing and breathing while expending some energy.

On the All Access program, Sherk did LSD cardio 4 days a week, plus hill sprints and that tire-flipping stuff. So you can't really say one or the other in his case. He said himself that his goal was to find any weakness and make it strong.

This debate will never end.

To the people that don't wanna run....C'MON

just run 3x a week for 30-60 minutes, LSD, trust me it WONT cut into your training schedule. And you can say that you have the running thing down instead of fighting against it. If it doesn't help in the least, then stop.

doing cardio on an empty stomach is the most effective way to lose bodyfat. you're glycogen stores are empty and your body has to use stored fat as energy. if you want to try something to preserve muscle while doing cardio on an empty stomach take glutamine and bcaa's before and after cardio

On the All Access program, Sherk did LSD cardio 4 days a week, plus hill sprints and that tire-flipping stuff. So you can't really say one or the other in his case. He said himself that his goal was to find any weakness and make it strong.

I'm not saying he did steroids...... but good lord he has some amazing GPP steroids or not LSD 4 days week that one circuit a couple days a week 4 days of lifting and skill training 5 days a week..... fuck that's amazing

I think you need 3 things for endurance.

1. Aerobic endurance ( long distance running, cycling etc. )

2. Anaerobic endurance( interval burpees, sprints )

3. Muscle endurance ( alot of reps with bodyweight exercises, like push ups, burpees, pull ups etc. ) ( weightlifting circuit ).

I think you're quite correct on this point.

The stuff on rosstraining.com seems to cover the last two points all in one, like the interval challenge, and deck of cards workout.

It makes sense to work on both, since during the course of most activities, you probably wont be using just either or, especially in MMA. So why would one train exclusively one or the other?

I train aerobic endurance, anaerobic endurance and muscle endurance exclusively, because to get a good base in those 3 things.
I do Boxing and when I go to the Boxing gym I use all 3 endurance types.

But maybe it's easier and better to train anaerobic endurance and muscle endurance in one exercise or training.

I'm not sure about easier or better, but if you do something like that Deck of Cards workout, it's rather inevitable haha.

I have heard that running is often times about who has bigger lungs. I have heard that deep breathing will enhance your lung capacity. Then I have heard you can't increase your lung capacity. Then I have heard numbers on marathon runners lung capacity being bigger (i'm sure through long distance deep breathing involved in running it has to increase your lung capacity at least a little). I heard numbers on a website once stating that marathon runners have typically three times the lung capacity of a normal person. If running can stimulate your cardio and increase lung capacity through deep breathing wouldn't the ultimate routine be heavy deadlifts and running, followed up before a fight with muscular conditioning exercises. Boy am I trailing off...

When I was in high school I ran cross country. In science class the teacher had a lung capacity measuring tool. It was a tube with a ball in it and with hose connected to it. You blew in the hose and timed how long you can keep the ball on the top of the tube. There were 5-6 other cross country runners in the class with me and we all blew everyone else away.
The teacher said we had 6x the lung capacity of a normal person.

Take that for what it's worth. I never tried to verify any of that from somewhere else, but there was a huge difference between the runners and everyone else in the class. I don't know if we had any other sports or powerlifters in the class so this is a very unscientific sample. Plus, I have no idea if the teacher knew what she was talking about. I don't even know if it was a correct way to test lung capacity.

http://www.matt-hughes.com/blog/training-diet/

30 minute run on treadmill, start at 6 mph and every five minutes go up 1/2 mile per hour

That's pretty damn fast if you ask me.

I doubt he'd be able to keep that up off of a treadmill. If he did he would feel much more tired.
It makes a huge difference running on a treadmill vs running outside or on a track. You wouldn't think so but it does.

Don't get me wrong I like treadmills, they let me know how much I'm burning, how long I've been running, etc, but I think outdoor running is a better overall.

I second $uperman's post (last one page 3) for the best way to train cardio for MMA. I would often sweat more in 10 min live wrestling than I would running for 30 min.

When I was in high school I ran cross country. In science class the teacher had a lung capacity measuring tool. It was a tube with a ball in it and with hose connected to it. You blew in the hose and timed how long you can keep the ball on the top of the tube. There were 5-6 other cross country runners in the class with me and we all blew everyone else away.
The teacher said we had 6x the lung capacity of a normal person.

Take that for what it's worth. I never tried to verify any of that from somewhere else, but there was a huge difference between the runners and everyone else in the class. I don't know if we had any other sports or powerlifters in the class so this is a very unscientific sample. Plus, I have no idea if the teacher knew what she was talking about. I don't even know if it was a correct way to test lung capacity.

We had a device measuring the amount of air you could empty from your lungs, and the average in class was 3800 ml and 4500ish for men, we were about 60 people all age 18-19.
Myself I scored 5500 at 1.75 cm, while the top guy was a semi-pro soccer player with 5700.
That would put you guys at about 27 liters which is pretty much impossible since the average human volume is about 80 liters
However, the ones who were athletes had bigger lungs than the others.
Oh and of course smokers failed with lung capacities below 3000ml.

i hate running and maybe do it once a week i get my cardio in in other places like bike eliptical or rowing. i never really understood why people ran so much its boreing and im not training for a race

Running is a good way to develop mental strength. A tough never say die attitude.

Back