Running Question

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by 11b83, Jun 27, 2010.

1. 11b83

11b83 Purple Belt

I love running. I been doing a 5mile run at a good pace and the next I go 2.5mile run hard. I run 6times a week. I been doing this for a couple weeks but have not been seeing improvements on my times much. I was wondering if someone can help. Should I switch up my routine?

2. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

1 - You`re probably doing too much if you just started.

2 - 2 weeks aren`t enough to see real improvements.

2 - If you bust your ass regularly but fail to see improements you`re most likely training too hard too often rather then the other way round.

3. cmonreally

cmonreally Green Belt

so you just started running and your doing 7.5miles a day 6 days a week? DAMN!!! im thinking that you are overtraining or you're a genetic freak.

4. 11b83

11b83 Purple Belt

I was in the army for awhile so I always have been running. I just started this. I should've have said the 2.5ml is the next day not the same as the 5mil.

5. ZBORNAJA

ZBORNAJA Orange Belt

Key is in variety... I had very good results when i did heavy hill runing...Like 6,7 km uphill (5% hill or little more), or less but on greater hills (10% and more)..Add some sprinting after those 2,5 miles (10 x 100 m or 5x200 or 2-3x400)..
    And of course lot of rest and mental strenght to push yourself...It is hard sometimes :)

6. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

+1

I you've had a long layoff, this is important to more than whether you are seeing improvement or not.

7. cmonreally

cmonreally Green Belt

you should give us your training background when asking questions like this. It would make our answers alot more intelligent.

8. hapki

hapki UNOFFICIAL BELT

i wish i can run like you.
    i have a flat feet along with deviated septum. i run out of gas and my feet get really sored..

9. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

My knees get real sore if I run to much so i keep it around twice a week.

10. ExtremeStandard

ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

I agree, variety is very important when training cardio the body loves variety, yes the running that you are doing is very good and its obviously better than nothing. But if I was in your position. I would start doing long distance running less throughout the week and incorporate some hill sprinting, HIIT, Tabata intervals, and full body conditioning. This will allow your body a new challenge for the cardiovascular system, go slow it isn't as easy as many would think.

11. Barnacles!**

Barnacles!** Orange Belt

I agree, And don't forget low weight/high rep weight training and plyometrics. Keeping your form crisp, tight, and proper works wonders on your times.

12. Flawed Logic**

Flawed Logic** Banned Banned

It is not only distance running that will get you results. Changing your workouts, long run, followed by speed/interval (200, 300, 400, 600, 800) workouts will help your times come down. If you go out and run the same pace everyday, your body cannot come to learn to go faster, so by doing the shorter distances at a higher speed you can then do longer faster as it then becomes easier on the body than doing 12x600 at 1:40 repeats.