Running in the cold

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by the_Dark Knight, Oct 3, 2010.

1. the_Dark Knight

the_Dark Knight Purple Belt

I know its not winter yet, but I'm starting to feel that cool air coming in. A problem I've always had is going out to run in the cold and having it hit my lungs. It starts hurting, it sucks to breathe and I start coughing alot. Any suggestions on things I can do to reduce these problems. I really feel them hinder my run, and I have to stop more so I can spit or relax so I dont breath to wild.

2. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

Treadmill? Some athletes will run outside during spring and summer, then switch to treadmill for the winter months to prevent injuries; apart from the problem you just mentioned, people break bones and tear ligaments trying to run on icy pavements.

I've run in six inches of snow, but noone has ever accused me of being intelligent!:icon_chee

3. RamlebNeral

RamlebNeral White Belt

Theres nothing really that you can do before the run to help. Afterwards though I always loved having some frozen fruit pops, believe me it helps.

My duty station was fairbanks AK, and yes we would run ALL winter long. Nothing like running miles in polypros, gortex, bunny boots, and backlavas.

I got this advice from my squad leader and it really worked, buy the all natural ones, somthing about the natural ones seemed to help it sooth that frozen throat.

4. VooDooCHild

VooDooCHild Orange Belt

Warm up inside for a bit. Get a balaclava and thermals or cold weather under armour.

5. KnightTemplar

I live in Scotland; not quite as bad as Alaska, of course. But it can still get quite chilly.

You know how we tell the difference between Summer and Winter in Scotland? In Summer the torrential rain is slightly warmer!:icon_chee

6. wildman1717

wildman1717 Green Belt

As much as I hate it, I switch to a treadmil when it gets too cold in the winter. I love to run outside but for injuries and burning lungs its not worth it to me.

7. enm4r

enm4r White Belt

___

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  8. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

If you dress for it, and warm-up enough, you can run in almost any weather. The feeling of wanting to cough from cold air on your lungs goes away pretty quick, if necessary start slow. You can also by various kinds of shoe attachments so that you can get more traction on ice and snow.

I've been in Scotland during the "Winter"...Experience a good Canadian winter, and you'll never think of your winter as "quite chilly" again.

9. KnightTemplar

Damn Colonial! Most of you are descended from Scots(apart from the poor buggers with French ancestry)so know your place, sir!:icon_chee

Anyway, the lowest temp. ever recorded in Scotland was last year: Minus 27, IIRC. That's "nippy" even by Canuck standards!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  10. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

While I am partly descended from Scots...I'm also part Norwegian, Finnish, Irish, Welsh, and Cherokee. But no French ancestry.

And the days of Canada being a Colony are gone...your glory days as a country are over. That said I do like the sound of "The Dominion of Canada".

11. KnightTemplar

Just fucking with you, brother!:icon_chee

Hey, one of my greatest heroes, a man who taught me about honour and courage and self-reliance, is Canadian - Wolverine!

...What do you mean, "He is'nt real"?!:eek:

12. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

warm up indoors. If the cold gets too intense, run with something covering your moth and nose. While in the military we had neck gators and I would always pull it up under my eyes and it made a world of difference.

13. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Touche.

It's only fitting that such a badass character would be Canadian.

14. ExtremeStandard

ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

For about one year I ran in the winter everyday in the evening when it got really cold. I completely understand your breathing issue, I felt like my throat was freezing up and it got dry and then my chest hurt. I basically took vicks and warmed it and coated my throat and nose with it then bundled up my head. This helped me my breathing didn't hurt nearly as much and I could run for much longer without stopping to relax and control my breathing so it didn't hurt.
    Just my 2 cents.

15. the_Dark Knight

the_Dark Knight Purple Belt

Yeah Ive thought about covering my mouth and nose..and last yr I tried it, but after awhile I began to feel smothered by my shirt. I may get a scarf maybe thall help?

Also does running in the cold have any real benefits over running in warm weather? Does it help improve cardio more than regular air?

16. ExtremeStandard

ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

Well cold air is more dense than warm air, now that simply means as you inhale you are taking in more air into the same space, just like putting Nitrous Oxide into your engine it's cold highly compressed air so you can occupy the same space but with more air allowing for more power. So in my opinion I can't see any substantial benefit in any aspect of running except allowing more air in your lungs,and running in the cold to continue running outside because you like it.

17. RamlebNeral

RamlebNeral White Belt

I dont think so, but i always felt like a deer after running through a cold winter. I guess your more comfortable running in warm weather.

The only time i maxed out the run on my army physical was after a brutal winter in 04' i remember we had 3 weeks of -30 or lower! when its that cold 10 degrees feels like miami beach lol. i had to be an unluck guy that had a squad leader that loved long ass runs.

wear the neck gator, when you start to feel a lil smothered pull it down till you feel you need it. you can pick them up at army/navy stored for around $5-$10.

18. yocan

yocan Orange Belt

balaclava,
    whisking pants OVER basketball shorts, they keep your upper leg from touching the whisking pants keeps right above your knee from getting cold/tightening up.

I know many that do underarmour for me though a tightish wifebeater/something silky (whisking I'm guessing, I don't know made by soffe) (long or short sleeve) and a sweatshirt are the way to go. then hat, if really cold 2 then take one off after warming up, and gloves of your liking. I do fartlek running mostly so I do something with padded palms so my hands don't freeze doing push ups.

they make a mask that heats the air for you for 60 bucks or so seen it before but if you still have trouble it might be for you.

19. KnightTemplar

Although "Logan" is a Scottish name...:icon_chee

20. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Only fitting. There are more Scots in Canada than in Scotland, after all.