Running:For those who have trained in Thailand

R

Ron Powell Jr

What is the time and distance that the fighters usually run? My friend told me they do about 6 miles in 45 minutes or so, but i want a second opinion.

Is it jogging pace or more of a straight run, or somewhere in between?

I know it probably differs from gym to gym but i want to hear your experiences.

I'm looking to go to a more serious Muay Thai camp next time i visit. A year ago i stayed in Thailand for two weeks at the fairtex resort, i didn't have to run so i didn't lol.

The Thais do a lot of distance running, too much IMHO. Thais fight at too slow a pace and the top Western Muay Thai fighters often outwork them

I've also heard distance of 6 miles/10km a day, I think you do it as fast as you can. You don't want to knacker yourself out before all the other training. The hot weather and humidity is a killer if your not used to it

The other issue is most Thais are tiny so find distance running much easier than big westerners.

an hour they run for in the morning usually 6.30am til 730am they run at a fare good pace, maybe covering eight or nine mile. you run again in the evening maybe twenty minutes or so, plus they skip for up to half an hour, you need a lot of stamina for it.

Thanks guys it's appreciated,

I watched a few videos on youtube and it seems like they run a little faster than a jog. Then they follow it with 15-30 minutes of jump rope.

pretty long for a warmup if you ask me.

I wonder if they do it for endurance or maybe they just want to burn extra calories to keep their weight down?

I heard long runs are good for weight control..

Thanks guys it's appreciated,

I watched a few videos on youtube and it seems like they run a little faster than a jog. Then they follow it with 15-30 minutes of jump rope.

pretty long for a warmup if you ask me.

I wonder if they do it for endurance or maybe they just want to burn extra calories to keep their weight down?

I heard long runs are good for weight control..

endurance they do it for, the training is very intense over there, its like a spartan regime, 6 hours a day 6 days a week they train for, sunday is rest day, you need a great deal of conditioning and stamina

At my gym we jog for an hour and a half in the mornings.

Sometimes it's a jog the whole way through and other days we jog for an hour then do sprints for the last thirty minutes. We sprint about 100m then jog back and repeat the cycle. It is very intense.

They run for cardiovascular endurance. My pad work and sparring has improved immensely by running every day.

It's pretty much for stamina. The traditional Thai fights start off slow and it's about who can finish the fight strongest.

if you have to lose weight for a fight you'll be doing alot more running in a sweat suit too most likely.

The heat can be a bitch but you've been there before so you know what you're in for. The humidity is the real killer so I'd take it easy the first couple of times or you might not be able to train for the rest of the day.

At Keatkhamtorn we ran 8km in the mornings and another 8km in the afternoons. Some afternoons we did 5km. It all depended on how you felt. It was also over and hour so it was more of a jog at a nice pace more than a run. I got a chance to speak to Leo Phetphayathai. He trains at Kiatpetch (Home of Sagetdao Phetphayathai) and said some mornings they run 14km then have a light training session.

I remember reading or watching an interview with paul williams where he said running 7 miles everyday greatly improved his "breathing" while fighting. Maybe the long slow runs help you with your oxygen uptake and staying relaxed throughout the whole fight?

Cali: Thanks for the info man. The only Leo i know of is Leo Siangboxing from france, brother of Antuan, that kid is like 11 years old or something, but he's so skilled at Muay Thai

Back