Running a begginers class?

judogido said:
Dont forget to teach them to tap - even if you're not teaching subs

Man, that is probably the BEST advice. We all know how spazz noobs refuse to tap.

deadcrow27 said:
I wouldn't even consider a school if they didnt let u roll.
I'd expect 2 -3 techniques , drills and live rolling without leglocks for injury prevention.

thats why my friend you will always suck. :eek:

Why would he suck?
I was rolling live on my first lesson, and why I don't think I'll ever be a mundial or ADCC champ, I wouldn't say I suck. Or was that some form of sarcasm that blew over my head. That happens a lot to me.
I think free training is THE most important thing in BJJ.
To me balance, and sensitivity is only something you can pick up from rolling.
There are HEAPS of guys who have a better technical knowledge than me, probably from watching thousands of videos and scouring web sites, but I still school them on the mat.
I wouldn't consider a school that didn't let me roll live either.
first class tonight, I'll see how it goes.
:)

Good luck, bro.
Think Mr. Miyagi...
Be like Yoda...
Try to picture all of those flashbacks to the monastery that the dude in "Kung Fu" had all the time...
Show those noobs who's boss!!!

gotta disagree with a couple things said here:

1) the not letting noobs roll part ... i remember my first class i rolled with some kid who kicked my ass very easily (he was smaller and seemed weaker then me too) i asked him how long hes been training and he said something like 7 months so i was like god damn you can get this good in just 7 months i wanna do this and that in big part is what made me stick around through the frustrating beat downs i got over the first months
so definitely let them roll at least supervised i would say stay away from leg locks and neck cranks but thats it

2) yes the right thing to do is teach new people positioning, control and escapes but keep in mind most of those guys are there because they saw nog triangle, armbar and anaconda choke some guys in pride and wanna learn how to do that stuff ... if all you have them do is sit in each others guard trying to pry the guys legs open not too many of them will come back so show them at least a couple of cool subs to get their attention and work from there

Turned out pretty cruisy
Noone really knew the class was on, it was only advertised on the Web site( http://www.graciemelbourne.com.au/ ) what a shameless plug :p
so only one guy rocked up. He'd had about three lessons, so I ran him through the basic positions, then showed him some ways of moving between them. I then asked him to start from side-mount on me, and just try moving between them. As he went I just showed him mistakes he was making, gave him general advice, to stop lifting his hips when he moved, etc
I then went over the positions to refresh them
I asked him if their were any questions or areas he wanted to know about, I thought he'd say "everything", but he told me he kept getting caught in "that guard thing", so I took him through a basic way to open guard, then the reach-around lapel pass.
As I went through I explained basic principals of passing, and showed him when he'd use this pass.
Time was up then, but the Judo coach who had class after let us stay in a corner so he could keep drilling.
Afterwards, he said that I'd really helped him in understanding how to get passed "that guard thing", and especcially showed him when he was safe, and when he was in danger. So it seems like he did actually learn something. Woohoo!
It was good for me too, because I really had to think about the details of this pass.
All in all it went well, I just wished I'd had at least one other person, so I could show him stuff from an aerial view.
Maybe next week I'll even get two people
:)

Back