Running 15 minutes before training or

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Running 15 minutes 3x a week before training or 45 minutes at once with no training, just a couple lifts afterwards. Both would be at a super slow pace mostly for recovery/warmup and footwork

Running in the heart rate zone of 140-160 bpm is great for the heart.

It will increase the size of the heart and make it a more effective pump.

Floyd Mayweather says he runs 5-8 miles everyday in training.

I think a run of 30-40 minutes is a great cardio supplement, 15 minutes would have to be a hard run to get a cardio benefit.

This is Mayweather talking about his training routine;

Hard to believe a workout the most dominant pound for pound boxer of the last 15 years includes in his workout routine on a daily basis has no place in combat sports training.

Running 15 mins 3x times a week wont do much for your aerobic capacity. However running 45 mins probably wont either. If the purpose is recovery/warmup and footwork then I'd go with 3x15 min a week for sure though. Frequency beats volume for all those three things I'd say.

If you’re a boxer or Muay Thai fighter, you need to run. 15 minutes before training At a steady, easy pace is a good warm. For conditioning I tell My guys to run 3 miles a day at a fast clip. 20 minutes or less is ideal. 5x a week with 2 days off in a row. For fight camp we start doing sprint intervals
Instead 2-3x a week and then maintenance runs 2-3x a week

If you’re a boxer or Muay Thai fighter, you need to run. 15 minutes before training At a steady, easy pace is a good warm. For conditioning I tell My guys to run 3 miles a day at a fast clip. 20 minutes or less is ideal. 5x a week with 2 days off in a row. For fight camp we start doing sprint intervals
Instead 2-3x a week and then maintenance runs 2-3x a week

I really have to ask how many guys can run 3 miles in under 20?

Thats fairly fast for a guy whos sport is not running

I hate long running. My mental motivation tell me to stop, long before my cardio or my endurance make me stop.
This was and still is a problem for me. I often get bored and lose discipline before I actually fatigue. I've mostly switched to HIIT training though and I'm finding that suits my personality better.

I hate long running. My mental motivation tell me to stop, long before my cardio or my endurance make me stop.

I feel the same. I never struggled with running. I always found it more of a mental battle than physical one. But for me, it also felt it didn't improve my cardio for fighting either. Hill sprints was a game changer for me with cardio.

I really have to ask how many guys can run 3 miles in under 20?

Thats fairly fast for a guy whos sport is not running

https://www.ufc.com/news/are-you-fit-flyweight

I thought this was a pretty cool article on strength and conditioning for MMA by trainer Joel Jamieson.

9 measures of physical fitness for MMA fighters.

He says Matt Brown runs 1.5 miles in 7:46.

Considering that’s nearly 2.5k I’d guess he runs somewhere around 17-18 minutes for a 5k.

For regional pro’s outside the UFC competing at 170 and under I’d say a 20 minute 5k is reasonable if they have used running as part of their conditioning.

That said there are guys in the UFC who I think couldn’t do that, someone like Mark Hunt, no way.

https://www.ufc.com/news/are-you-fit-flyweight

I thought this was a pretty cool article on strength and conditioning for MMA by trainer Joel Jamieson.

He says Matt Brown runs 1.5 miles in 7:46.

Considering that’s nearly 2.5k I’d guess he runs somewhere around 17-18 minutes for a 5k.

For regional pro’s outside the UFC competing at 170 and under I’d say a 20 minute 5k is reasonable if they have used running as part of their conditioning.

That said there are guys in the UFC who I think couldn’t do that, someone like Mark Hunt, no way.

im betting 50 bucks hunt cant run 500 meters lol

anyway pro guys are pro guys, they have time to train all day plus peds

that being said 5k under 20 is doable if you are ammy but in my experience pretty rare

A source for @spacetime's claim, in the event that he can't find one:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/1047279794900728

Based on the abstract, the VO2max changes 2.9 ± 4.1 ml/kg min for joggers and 2.5 ± 5.7 ml/kg min for walkers are pretty similar.

Although, the rate of injury (25% of joggers, 21% of walkers) is about the same as well, a statistic that they based on an injury that prevented them from training for at least a week.

Keep in mind that the study is from 1994 and I'm unsure if there is conflicting research.

A source for @spacetime's claim, in the event that he can't find one:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/1047279794900728

Based on the abstract, the VO2max changes 2.9 ± 4.1 ml/kg min for joggers and 2.5 ± 5.7 ml/kg min for walkers are pretty similar.

Although, the rate of injury (25% of joggers, 21% of walkers) is about the same as well, a statistic that they based on an injury that prevented them from training for at least a week.

Keep in mind that the study is from 1994 and I'm unsure if there is conflicting research.

Interesting but the study participant's were sedentary men.

I'd think even drilling Ju Jitsu techniques could boost the cardio of guys who have been working out less than an hour a week.

I'd be interested if there is evidence of it working in more trained individuals.

I suspect that once you get into the territory of a VO2 max greater than the 45-50 range it willing stop improving your VO2 max.

It was lower and all I wrote was that the pressure on the knees is less. There is no reason to do long sprints for fighting other than being bored by walking.

I speak from experience. I used to do nothing between training and couldn't skip a class unless I wanted to drown in my own sweat... , then I got a demanding sled dog who kept me out all the time and I could easily sit out one or two days and return just as durable as when I did it 3 times a week.. My cardio was also indistingushiable from when I played soccer.

Back