*Rumour* New Xbox One discless console coming in 2019

if they get rid of discs, there better be a way to sell game licenses to other people

Microsoft clearly wants to go digital. Perhaps they are willing to take a hit on console margins in order to get a foothold and slowly convert stubborn console gamers.

Microsoft has made small moves ever since they tried acquiring Valve. Up until this announcement they were hedging their online game distribution service. Now it appears theyre going all in the safest way possible to gauge response.

Console prices have reached budget gaming Pc prices. Inserting the disk to play is no more. Users are now forced to install at HDD speeds with additional day one large patch downloads. Outside entertainment applications have been surpassed by cable/satellite providers, phone and even TV makers. Only thing left as their selling point is exclusive titles. An are a handful of game titles over a five year period justifying its initial price tag when said game titles are an additional 60 dollars?

First console maker that releases a console that has full Steam, mouse/keyboard and Android/iOS support wins.

MSFT is garbage, they are not going to give up on trying to force all games to be on their cloud service so they can milk even more money out of people while removing ownership from customers at the same time.

Not a fan. I’m gonna hold out on going fully digital for as long as I can. Only system I currently go mostly digital for is the Switch. Way too convenient on a portable console.

I doubt retailers will like this much. Unless they sell game keys at Walmart or Best Buy.

They most certainly will, to appease retailers but moreso for grandma to have something she can go buy and wrap for a present. Eventually retailers will have to adapt, and they've already done it once. When was the last time someone bought a PC game in an actual store?

So disc-lickers are to go the way of the manual-huffers. Sad times

back in my day we would put cd's into our playstation to unlock new monsters.

I'm ready for download only since I have a 1GB connection, but they need to make the consoles 802.11ac compliant so I can actually take advantage of it.

Not a fan. I’m gonna hold out on going fully digital for as long as I can. Only system I currently go mostly digital for is the Switch. Way too convenient on a portable console.

Any particular reason why?

I personally don’t like the clutter anymore and like having only my external HD as opposed to 3 boxes of games I can’t sell.

That, and I very much enjoy not dealing with visiting the store or waiting in Amazon.

Womp womp. The day they go no disc is the day I switch to PC and just pirate my shit for free. I'm into actually owning my games, not paying 70$ for the rights to play them.

Womp womp. The day they go no disc is the day I switch to PC and just pirate my shit for free. I'm into actually owning my games, not paying 70$ for the rights to play them.

I'm not sure if I agree with this anymore. If you have the disc you still don't own the game. You just own the disc that has the game on it. If the disc breaks you no longer have the game to play it. The game is arguably more secure as a download.

Good luck with that. Optical drives are going away, deal with it.

A lot of PC's don't even come with optical drives now lol. It's about times consoles caught up.

You do own your games if digital. You pay for the license to the game.

I'm not sure if I agree with this anymore. If you have the disc you still don't own the game. You just own the disc that has the game on it. If the disc breaks you no longer have the game to play it. The game is arguably more secure as a download.
I think he means rather that breakage, in this case, would be on him whereas losing access to what's stored in the mists of a digital Niflheim would not be; that displaced state of ownership is then what he's meaning is contentious.

Digital, if I remember right, is a big positive for independent developers – that is, far less overhead to get out there, but I tend big picture to agree with BJ; it feels better to be in a driver seat with hands on the wheel than a passenger who trusts this turn or that road be taken.

What happens to a digital library (nay, your digital library) when a platform reaches end of life? One hopes when support is discontinued that everything is just as reliably, safely, or at all accessible? All ToS for using the stores and networks of these big companies, I presume, have fine print that ultimately reads: we reserve the right to do what we want. I don't know, mate. Tricky stuff. We might have some techie dawgs who can allay these fears but I don't know enough at time of writing to look forward to any discless norm.

I think he means rather that breakage, in this case, would be on him whereas losing access to what's stored in the mists of a digital Niflheim would not be; that displaced state of ownership is then what he's meaning is contentious.

Digital, if I remember right, is a big positive for independent developers – that is, far less overhead to get out there, but I tend big picture to agree with BJ; it feels better to be in a driver seat with hands on the wheel than a passenger who trusts this turn or that road be taken.

What happens to a digital library (nay, your digital library) when a platform reaches end of life? One hopes when support is discontinued that everything is just as reliably, safely, or at all accessible? All ToS for using the stores and networks of these big companies, I presume, have fine print that ultimately reads: we reserve the right to do what we want. I don't know, mate. Tricky stuff. We might have some techie dawgs who can allay these fears but I don't know enough at time of writing to look forward to any discless norm.

I used to feel the same way but at this point in my life as an adult the idea of not being able to play a game I bought 10 years ago doesn't keep me awake at night. It's more likely that my disc will get damaged and be unplayable in the first year that I get it than it is that I will need to play a game from 10 years ago. 10 is an arbitrary number but I expect my purchases to last at least that long.

Edit: I also want to add that I am tired of storing all my discs. It's crazy how much space they all take up. I've only been buying games since the original xbox and I have so damn many in my house.

Last edited:
How are scratched discs even a real problem? The only time I've ever had to deal with scratched discs is due to my little brothers handling them carelessly as children; is it really that common for grown adults to be just grabbing and chucking their discs around like frisbees?

Maybe if your an idiot and don't look after your shit but I haven't broken a disc since xbox 360 days of tipping over consoles. I can agree somewhat but I'd hope games are going to drop dramatically in price considering I can't own them and they won't have to deal with stores stocking them etc.

Also, getting a refund is also so much of a bitch. If I buy a game from Walmart and I don't like it I can take it back no questions asked. Id just rather switch to steam and play a much better experience than give these companies like Sony complete control over my games.

The least control these companies have the better, especially sony and Microsoft. I don't trust those SOB's one bit.

Maybe if your an idiot and don't look after your shit but I haven't broken a disc since xbox 360 days of tipping over consoles.

*you're

I have a 6 year old child who could very easily break one of my discs being careless.

Also, getting a refund is also so much of a bitch. If I buy a game from Walmart and I don't like it I can take it back no questions asked. Id just rather switch to steam and play a much better experience than give these companies like Sony complete control over my games.

The least control these companies have the better, especially sony and Microsoft. I don't trust those SOB's one bit.

I could have swore Walmart doesn't take returns on video games.

*you're

I have a 6 year old child who could very easily break one of my discs being careless.

I could have swore Walmart doesn't take returns on video games.
I thought you could take anything back to Walmart?

I haven’t tried but I’m pretty sure you could buy a turkey, cook it , eat half of it and bring it back to Walmart.

They’ll take anything back it seems.

I used to have a crazy triffling g/f years back that kept boxes and receipts for EVERYTHING

She brought her 5 yr old coffee pot back and returned it for a new one when it broke.

I couldn’t beleive it.

This was a decade ago so maybe they’ve changed but it used to astound me the shit she would take back there.

I’ve seen people that annoy you bringing back expired food at my local Walmart.

Crazy

Back