Rumor: Ryan Hall on TUF 22

Well, not exactly.
You can go to the inverted heel hook from ashigarami and still not have the same anti-runout effect of the 50/50. The fact is you basically can't go to the inverted heelhook with putting the hips on the mat.

We see all the time Heelhook attemps against a standing opponent. Going to the full reap and I think (in my humble - non elite leglocker - oppinion) it's a mistake. The old school way of doing the heelhook to a standing opponent is not really effective against someone explosive, slippery and who want's to run out. I am a firm believer of the sweep first, leglock after.

With that said I also believe the 1LX guard sweep is better than the full reap heehook against a standing opponent (we see attempts like that all the time in MMA...). Since Cummings I don't even go for the reap most of the time to finish the heelhook (inverted or regular)

Yeah, sure. It's funny because Ryan failed at this from the standard position but exactly did this in 50/50.

50/50 is really great to force the fight on the ground. It's not as good as the reap/ashi garami position in terms of anti-counter leglock but it's a good way to skip the wrestling aspect of MMA and chain leglocks attempts without the risk of the opponent slipping out and running out of the ground.

I say it again but the Marcelo Garcia's Guard with heelhooks can be one of the most damaging form of BJJ in MMA.

I dont think going for hh while your opponent is standing is a good decision, take him to the ground then apply the hh, most pp is just going to turn or slip away, I dont remember the last time Ive seen a hh to a standing opponent work...

Are you talking about the incident Ryan training with his girlfriend?

If so, his girlfriend actually posted on here and cleared things up for us sherdoggers awhile back.

Point me to the thread and ill see if it is.

\ not that he's just on such a different level in terms of MMA understanding. And if he was, then he needs to check himself.

If he manages to submit everyone in a couple of minutes, he will prove himself to be on a different level of MMA understanding. If someone just jabs him to death it will be a different story...

I'll ask for names the next time I'm in class, though it would be unlikely that the person would be known to the BJJ community nor would I release their name without their permission.

But if the story is completely false, then what would be the purpose of providing names? You seem to know for certain that it is false since you trained with Ryan in 2007. Which is 8 years ago. :rolleyes:

I still knew people at the school up to around the time he left. I've never heard of him intentionally injuring anyone or some "great exodus" of talent leaving because of it. You're bashing some guy online based on heresay.

I dont think I remeber than, I just saw a 46 min interview with him, he didnt mention any of that, he is however showing as always a very cerebral approach to mma, me mentions he would like to show other aspects of his game but in a tournament like hes force to take as less damage possible etc etc etc...

I also dont agree on ryan being in such a different MMA level, yes he is in another galaxy in grappling terms, but I dont even think hes the most decorated grappler to ever step in a tuf house. Serginho was a way more decorated grappler and he never got the hype Ryan is getting (he made fast work of most of his opponents also in the house) I think ryan has a combo, hes like the smallest guys in the show, his truely "I really dont give a fuck" attitude (whithout being a jerk, actually showing to be a nice person) his constant blinking, urija showing to be a fan of his helps him a lot, it also helps that he drops some knowledge every time the camera gets him to talk..

Ryan may turned out to be a really big start once the show ends...

It was hilarious seeing him teach Urijah and his coaches. You can tell even Mcgregor respects the fuck out of his skills.

The 45 minutes interview with him was really interesting, especially when he talked about not being able to get fights. Two friends of mine who fight at 145 were offered fights with him, and refused immediately knowing they weren't ready. One of them has had the same problem as Ryan, albeit not at the same level. Simply being known as a purple belt who'd maul his opponents in BJJ tournaments in the province (Quebec) was enough for guys to refuse fights with him.

You are obsessed or what?

it happened in a mma gym, that's why i said that, dumb ass.

Why dont you tell us all the details if you want us to believe you?

Were you there watching it? Care to tell us anyone that was?

Pretty big accusation, and would probably be easily verified. I or sure would be willing to eat crow if you were able to convince me.

I dont think I remeber than, I just saw a 46 min interview with him, he didnt mention any of that,

It was on episode two I think, probably not on YouTube. Dunno the exact time but I definitely remembered something along those lines.

Why dont you tell us all the details if you want us to believe you?

Were you there watching it? Care to tell us anyone that was?

Pretty big accusation, and would probably be easily verified. I or sure would be willing to eat crow if you were able to convince me.

When he was asked why he did that he said :' i'm one injury from retirement and i have to protect myself against bigger guy'

There were multiple witness, he made no friend there, believe me.

I dont want the owner or the gym to be involved in an internet wich hunt.

in fact, i should have keep my mouth shut about that.

And frankly, i dont care if you believe me or not. That guy is weird, he even say that he injured about 10 guys with heel hook.

If you too dumb to communicate and injure people to teach them a lesson, you need a lesson with a baseball bat.

It was hilarious seeing him teach Urijah and his coaches. You can tell even Mcgregor respects the fuck out of his skills.

The 45 minutes interview with him was really interesting, especially when he talked about not being able to get fights. Two friends of mine who fight at 145 were offered fights with him, and refused immediately knowing they weren't ready. One of them has had the same problem as Ryan, albeit not at the same level. Simply being known as a purple belt who'd maul his opponents in BJJ tournaments in the province (Quebec) was enough for guys to refuse fights with him.

Stories like this really make me wonder how many higher level athletes give up on MMA when they get caught in the catch 22 of too well known for people to take fights with you and "too inexperienced in MMA" for an athletic commission to sanction your fight against experienced opponents.

I believe TUF still has an important role to play in developing MMA fighters if for nothing else than to make sure that fighters who are falling through the cracks because they're viewed as "too skilled" get a chance.

When he was asked why he did that he said :' i'm one injury from retirement and i have to protect myself against bigger guy'

I dont want the owner or the gym to be involved in an internet wich hunt.

in fact, i should have keep my mouth shut about that.

And frankly, i dont care if you believe me or not. That guy is weird, he even say that he injured about 10 guys with heel hook.

If you too dumb to communicate and injure people to teach them a lesson, you need a lesson with a baseball bat.

Why don't you teach him that lesson? Your whole story reeks of total bullshit. You refuse to give any witnesses or even where it happened.

Tell us about how you banged Veronica Vaughn as that might be more believable.

It was on episode two I think, probably not on YouTube. Dunno the exact time but I definitely remembered something along those lines.

I DVR'd the episode, watched it yesterday, twice, then showed it to my wife to justify my man crush. I did not get the impression he was saying his skills were on another level, more that he was saying he doesn't fit in with the let me bang bro mentality of many of the fighters socially, intellectually, or morally.

I still knew people at the school up to around the time he left. I've never heard of him intentionally injuring anyone or some "great exodus" of talent leaving because of it. You're bashing some guy online based on heresay.

Ok.

I DVR'd the episode, watched it yesterday, twice, then showed it to my wife to justify my man crush. I did not get the impression he was saying his skills were on another level, more that he was saying he doesn't fit in with the let me bang bro mentality of many of the fighters socially, intellectually, or morally.

That is also what I took from his statement. My wife also watched and asked what a smart and reserved guy was doing on the show.

Evolution bjj/tristar Gatineau, Quebec. He injured Carl Loubert.

Your original story was that he intentionally hurt a girl at Limpy Lloyd's and people left because of it. Now, it's some guy in Quebec?

this.

Your original story was that he intentionally hurt a girl at Limpy Lloyd's and people left because of it. Now, it's some guy in Quebec?

Glorfindel's story was always Quebec. Another poster said he hurt a female competitor in his team.

So...
He isn't just trying to bang?
Bro?

I apologize for how i commented then. Weather or not i believe it happened is not relevant, instantly your claim is more credible.

I understand it does not matter to you if i believe it, but i dont wish any harm on your fighters. Maybe you can understand why when given zero context i would react how i did

Stories like this really make me wonder how many higher level athletes give up on MMA when they get caught in the catch 22 of too well known for people to take fights with you and "too inexperienced in MMA" for an athletic commission to sanction your fight against experienced opponents.

I believe TUF still has an important role to play in developing MMA fighters if for nothing else than to make sure that fighters who are falling through the cracks because they're viewed as "too skilled" get a chance.

Tell me about it - I have a friend who wrestled at DI school, never started, is a white belt, and cannot get an amateur fight. He is also in his mid 30s, but no one wants to fight him.

That's what I was implying with the first statement, everything after was my own thoughts.

Where does everyone know him from? I honestly had never heard of him.

Edit: NM, see he is an instructor people know primarily from training with him or being in those circles

Last edited:

First, was the big guy going ham on him? Had he told the guy before hand to slow it down? He gave no warning, just said fuck it and ripped a heel hook?

Second part, you're saying he said he PURPOSELY injured 10 people with a heel hook, in a training environment and NOT at a competition. Or did he say yeah I've injured 10 people with heel hooks while conversing with you in a passive way?

Details are needed with your story.

Thanks for the name/gym. Like Patrick said, your story is more credible now but details are still missing.

You're speaking of Tristar, The gym he trains at right now for MMA? I don't believe that Firas (sp?) would allow that.

Tell me about it - I have a friend who wrestled at DI school, never started, is a white belt, and cannot get an amateur fight. He is also in his mid 30s, but no one wants to fight him.

Really? I figured people would want the experience at the amateur level. They're going to inevitably run into good wrestlers if they ever go pro.

Look man, i will not comment anymore on this. He's a weirdo.

And i didnt say he injured 10 orthers on PURPOSE, like he did to Carl.

So, what ever float your boat and good luck in your 'quest' for the truth, i already said more than enough.

Being holed up in a house full of mma fighters for 2 months, should expose his true character especially since he will have a huge target on his back. Unless of course UFC tries to edit everything out.

People behave differently when they are in places where they are in control.
Wouldn't they try to amplify such things through editing for extra drama?

I dont think going for hh while your opponent is standing is a good decision, take him to the ground then apply the hh, most pp is just going to turn or slip away,I dont remember the last time Ive seen a hh to a standing opponent work...

Um....

Ryan Hall's last two TUF matches ring a bell?

Where does everyone know him from? I honestly had never heard of him.

Edit: NM, see he is an instructor people know primarily from training with him or being in those circles
the fuck?

hall is a top level BJJ competitor with very popular instructional videos.

Um....

Ryan Hall's last two TUF matches ring a bell?

Yeah i'm not quite sure what he means. Initiating the HH control while the opponent is standing? Both Hall's matches and Rousimar Palhares highlight reel.

That said. The FINISH tends to happen while the opponents hips are jammed into the mat. If the heel is still connected to the ground and weight is on the attacked foot, you aren't ripping anything until you can make that foot light.

Look man, i will not comment anymore on this. He's a weirdo.

And i didnt say he injured 10 orthers on PURPOSE, like he did to Carl.

So, what ever float your boat and good luck in your 'quest' for the truth, i already said more than enough.

I'll give some support to the king of the elves here. I have trained in Gatineau and heard about that story too. I didn't know it was Carl (seriously the nicest guy around) though.

My sister trained at Tristar for a while, and I have a few friends who drop there once in a while, and I've heard many stories of Mr Hall's tendencies to crank submissions too hard when he doesn't like his opponents or the way they roll. I won't repeat my sister's comments on him here, but they weren't nice.

That's definitely true, but Ryan Hall and Palhares both show how you don't have to do a BJJ-spec sweep before engaging in a leglock attack.

Going for a heel hook against a standing opponent result in the opponent being forced to the ground to defend the initial attack. From there, adjust and attempt a finish - or switch to a different leg control position and finish with a different leglock.

I'm not sure I saw Hall do a single "sweep" in his matches. More relentlessly attacking the sub as the opponent's position steadily worsened.

I'll give some support to the king of the elves here. I have trained in Gatineau and heard about that story too. I didn't know it was Carl (seriously the nicest guy around) though.

My sister trained at Tristar for a while, and I have a few friends who drop there once in a while, and I've heard many stories of Mr Hall's tendencies to crank submissions too hard when he doesn't like his opponents or the way they roll. I won't repeat my sister's comments on him here, but they weren't nice.

Cant be true 'cause the 'bjj community' didnt heard about it lol!

Yeah i'm not quite sure what he means. Initiating the HH control while the opponent is standing? Both Hall's matches and Rousimar Palhares highlight reel.

That said. The FINISH tends to happen while the opponents hips are jammed into the mat. If the heel is still connected to the ground and weight is on the attacked foot, you aren't ripping anything until you can make that foot light.

The finish bro... Not the entry

Back