Rumor: Ryan Hall on TUF 22

People I've trained with who know Ryan say he's a great guy, but one could make argument that this situation shows a he has a bit of a temper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJX9QnrZtfc

how is tahta vid a proof that he has a temper? im not saying he doesnt, I dont know him personally, but if anything that vid proved that hes is not a hot headed bastard I mean he took the dude down, kob'd he guy and then when he thought shit was going to get messy the just choked him out, no hrm at all to the guy, temper wouldve been td, knob mount gnp the shit out of that dude....

imagine If that guy was bothering someone like ryan gracie, dude was about to get the worst beating of his life...

It's absolutely ridiculous that he can decide for someone not to go into the next round, regardless if they win or not, due to disliking their fighting style. This isn't a sport, it's sports entertainment. The UFC is a joke of a sporting organization, truthfully. It's WWE with real bouts, nothing more.

Yeah, it's getting too blatant these days.

For what it's worth, in my (modest) experience with him, he can be incredibly nice and helpful, but he also has a nasty temper (I've never seen him hurt anyone, though), and can be rather self-righteous and confrontational. A number of people I have met from other places have arrived at similar conclusions.

This is exactly my experience

Hall has talked about his hands and grips being messed up from years of grappling. I try to keep an eye on his hands during the show, anyone else notice he doesn't seem like he makes a lot of closed fist?

I don't necessarily blame Ryan for what he did, but he put a goofy drunk to sleep with a choke. That's causing at least a little bit of harm. Dave Jacobs didn't seem to think the guy was that much of a threat.

In any case, I think this debate took place in the old thread about this.

Well I think we all need to keep one thing in mind; when it comes to jiu jitsu, people dont think it be like it be, but it do.

56957271.jpg

I don't necessarily blame Ryan for what he did, but he put a goofy drunk to sleep with a choke. That's causing at least a little bit of harm. Dave Jacobs didn't seem to think the guy was that much of a threat.

What harm did it cause? Also, DJ is not putting down his pasta for the apocalypse even.

I have another theory.

I think the classic reaping heelhook isn't so good in a mma setup when guys are greased/slipery and just want to avoid the ground fight.
When I'm doing these positions I like to sweep and go to the reap (if needed, honestly since Eddie Cummings came on the big stage he changed my whole type of finish of the classic heelhook) and go to the heelhook when the opponent is on the ground.

Ryan tried to finish it on a standing opponent, without some One Leg X guard sweep. And it didn't work.

When he went to 50/50 he was able to sweep really easily (of course, the position IS a sweep granted) and finish the sub. It's also way harder to get out of the ground when you are entangled in 50/50.

In fact I kind of think 50/50 is better in MMA than the classic HH position. When the opponent tries to fight back, the ashi garami position is great, a great tool (it basicaly is the X guard system) but when the opponent just tries to run out, 50/50 is better.

The 50/50 entry is harder to get than the ashigarami (1LX pull) though..

With that said, I'm ok with you, Ryan is making a point here. Maybe to get to his opponents nerves (oh no, another palhares who is going to injure me?) and he is far from a leglock only guy.

basically what you are saying is that inside hh > outside hh , there is no doubt about that, the position is way harder to escape, single one x is a great entry, I normally attack the inside ankle lock from ashi, after I sweep the guy I change the leg to the inside, I dont go for hh though, but my ankle lock is pretty good, so is the control I have on the leg, I think you can really hurt people from that position, going belly down with an inside ankle lock is a recipe to break someones ankle...

the guy didn't get in Dave's face. Any normal person would have felt threatened in that situation. I know I would have.

To be fair, Dana was probably referring to lay and pray. There have been some serious stinkers on TUF due to LnP. and Ryan isn't so much holding onto a leg for 3 rounds as he is diving on them and cranking the fuck outta them in 1.

Ryan Hall's game is a hell of a lot more interesting than watching two MMA guys try to outbox each other for 3 rounds.

That story is completely false lol. Provide some names please.

I'll ask for names the next time I'm in class, though it would be unlikely that the person would be known to the BJJ community nor would I release their name without their permission.

But if the story is completely false, then what would be the purpose of providing names? You seem to know for certain that it is false since you trained with Ryan in 2007. Which is 8 years ago. :rolleyes:

I'll ask for names the next time I'm in class, though it would be unlikely that the person would be known to the BJJ community nor would I release their name without their permission.

But if the story is completely false, then what would be the purpose of providing names? You seem to know for certain that it is false since you trained with Ryan in 2007. Which is 8 years ago. :rolleyes:

I've got no dog in this fight. I really liked his video series, never met the guy personally, have no stake in his reputation one way or another.

Seems to me that if you're going to accuse someone of something, you ought to name names. Otherwise, you're just slagging.

I've got no dog in this fight. I really liked his video series, never met the guy personally, have no stake in his reputation one way or another.

Seems to me that if you're going to accuse someone of something, you ought to name names. Otherwise, you're just slagging.

Like I said, any names I can get would not likely be known in the BJJ community. But I will get them anyway.

If you've got no dog in this fight, why are you worrying about it? Seems to me that if you don't care about his reputation one way or another then you should sit back and relax. If you're going to accuse me of slagging, then there sure is a LOT of slagging going on in this thread.

Like I said, any names I can get would not likely be known in the BJJ community. But I will get them anyway.

If you've got no dog in this fight, why are you worrying about it? Seems to me that if you don't care about his reputation one way or another then you should sit back and relax. If you're going to accuse me of slagging, then there sure is a LOT of slagging going on in this thread.

What I'm saying is that hearsay is hearsay and it's not fair to accuse an instructor of intentionally hurting people on his own mat without having been there and seen it yourself or stating who it was. If you're going to put someone's reputation on the line, then put yours on the line as well. If you're not willing to do that, then don't slag on people.

I don't care one way or another about Ryan Hall's reputation. I just think fair is fair and unfair is unfair.

1. The post you quoted wasn't directed towards you
2. Post 105 and 111 don't show anything really
3. That's the excuse everyone gives when they're shoveling bullshit

I think he was saying this to show that he use to be a fan, and now not so much for a reason, at least that is the way I took it.

Either way, everything comes out in this community. Whether he is a douche or not will eventually come to light.

I have another theory.

I think the classic reaping heelhook isn't so good in a mma setup when guys are greased/slipery and just want to avoid the ground fight.
When I'm doing these positions I like to sweep and go to the reap (if needed, honestly since Eddie Cummings came on the big stage he changed my whole type of finish of the classic heelhook) and go to the heelhook when the opponent is on the ground.

Ryan tried to finish it on a standing opponent, without some One Leg X guard sweep. And it didn't work.

When he went to 50/50 he was able to sweep really easily (of course, the position IS a sweep granted) and finish the sub. It's also way harder to get out of the ground when you are entangled in 50/50.

In fact I kind of think 50/50 is better in MMA than the classic HH position. When the opponent tries to fight back, the ashi garami position is great, a great tool (it basicaly is the X guard system) but when the opponent just tries to run out, 50/50 is better.

The 50/50 entry is harder to get than the ashigarami (1LX pull) though..

With that said, I'm ok with you, Ryan is making a point here. Maybe to get to his opponents nerves (oh no, another palhares who is going to injure me?) and he is far from a leglock only guy.

I think when you see guys who go for the legs and they get hit, the problem is they aren't unbalancing their opponent first. Sakuraba vs galesic is a good example. Sure he got it in the end always since he's sakuraba, but he took alot of punishment he didint need to as well.

You trip him up, make him fall over, or have to turn away to escape, and he can't hit you. Keeping him off balance and off his base is key to making the situation favorable.

I think he was saying this to show that he use to be a fan, and now not so much for a reason, at least that is the way I took it.

Either way, everything comes out in this community. Whether he is a douche or not will eventually come to light.

You would think it would've already come out by now if it was true.

You need to add the "When it comes to Jiu Jitsu, people don't think it be like it be... but it do." to that pic and it'll be perfect man.

And Blinky McHeelhooks...
WfidRBf.jpg

You would think it would've already come out by now if it was true.

I agree, but other than DVD's, seminars, and youtube, what exposure does most of us have with him unless you train in the area. If you do train in the area, I doubt if anyone will be on a mission to expose a very popular athlete. You would always be "That Guy"

I look at like the Tiger Woods deal. Everyone on the inside knew he was a slimebag and fucked anything he could on tour, but until it hit the news that his wife tried to beat his ass with a 6 iron, most of us didn't have a clue. No one in the know wanted to be "That Guy"

Being holed up in a house full of mma fighters for 2 months, should expose his true character especially since he will have a huge target on his back. Unless of course UFC tries to edit everything out.

Nothing about those stories sounds remotely like the man I've trained under for years. The fact Kennyfrommd Ryan's brown belt has ignored this thread speaks to its accuracy.

It's quite awesome how people is getting behind Ryan, most guys on the tuf forum are amazed by Ryan's skills, if Ryan wins the whole show he'll come out with tremendous hype... Fucking awesome

Who the fuck said that hapenend in a bjj gym?

You guys make my laught with your 'bjj comunity' thing...

In our club in the (really crappy mma) class I have seen (and experienced) the (for the most part fairly stupid) mma fighters switch to hitting full force once they have been submitted a bunch of times. (or seriously threatened).
I wouldn't be really surprised if Ryan wasn't careful with a heel hook with someone who is trying to bash his brain in or punch his way out of the 50/50 heel hook.

I agree, but other than DVD's, seminars, and youtube, what exposure does most of us have with him unless you train in the area. If you do train in the area, I doubt if anyone will be on a mission to expose a very popular athlete. You would always be "That Guy"

I look at like the Tiger Woods deal. Everyone on the inside knew he was a slimebag and fucked anything he could on tour, but until it hit the news that his wife tried to beat his ass with a 6 iron, most of us didn't have a clue. No one in the know wanted to be "That Guy"

Being holed up in a house full of mma fighters for 2 months, should expose his true character especially since he will have a huge target on his back. Unless of course UFC tries to edit everything out.

Fair point.

Nothing about those stories sounds remotely like the man I've trained under for years. The fact Kennyfrommd Ryan's brown belt has ignored this thread speaks to its accuracy.

Speaks volumes actually. Kenny isn't one to sugar coat anything.

Who the fuck said that hapenend in a bjj gym?

You guys make my laught with your 'bjj comunity' thing...

Either prove your stories or fuck off with your shenanigans.

It's quite awesome how people is getting behind Ryan, most guys on the tuf forum are amazed by Ryan's skills, if Ryan wins the whole show he'll come out with tremendous hype... Fucking awesome

Last episode im pretty sure hall mentioned in a soundbyte that he doesnt really feel like hes on the same 'frequency' as the rest of the guys. I think thats definitely the case. Most of the guys in the house are up and coming prospects, or journeymen looking finally break out, while Ryan is a guy who has already been able to reach some of the highest levels in a combat sport. He's just on a plain different level in terms of talent and psychology, never mind experience, and i'd say the chances of him taking it all are real good.

Last episode im pretty sure hall mentioned in a soundbyte that he doesnt really feel like hes on the same 'frequency' as the rest of the guys. I think thats definitely the case. Most of the guys in the house are up and coming prospects, or journeymen looking finally break out, while Ryan is a guy who has already been able to reach some of the highest levels in a combat sport. He's just on a plain different level in terms of talent and psychology, never mind experience, and i'd say the chances of him taking it all are real good.

Let's not go tooo far here, it's not like he's a big time world champion in a sport with a massive worldwide talent pool. If we were dealing with Badr Hari or Henry Cejudo starting their MMA transition, and the other guys were a bunch of never-will-be's, then sure. Ryan was probably talking psychologically and personality-wise, not that he's just on such a different level in terms of MMA understanding. And if he was, then he needs to check himself.

Never trained with or met Hall.

However, close friends of mine who came out of Virginia confirm the stories of Ryan Hall are in line with what people say on message boards.

He is an arrogant douche bag who has purposefully injured training partners even at his own gym. I was told there were several instances of Ryan injuring his training partners and it culminated into a mass Lloyd Irvin-like exodus of the competition team following an incident where he purposefully injured a female team member.

From what I have gathered, he is not a good person. Those of you who go out of your way to shame those who speak out against him are simply fanboys who either read his Letter to the BJJ community, shared the pizza parlor video, or his bought/pirated his pretentious DVDs.

Are you talking about the incident Ryan training with his girlfriend?

If so, his girlfriend actually posted on here and cleared things up for us sherdoggers awhile back.

Let's not go tooo far here, it's not like he's a big time world champion in a sport with a massive worldwide talent pool. If we were dealing with Badr Hari or Henry Cejudo starting their MMA transition, and the other guys were a bunch of never-will-be's, then sure. Ryan was probably talking psychologically and personality-wise, not that he's just on such a different level in terms of MMA understanding. And if he was, then he needs to check himself.

Mm I wasn't talking so much about explicit knowledge, so much as the 'preselection' involved with a guy who has big success in one venue making a transition to something else related. A 'known entity' for qualities that bring success if you will. That he has all his grappling experience to draw from is gravy.

I'm just trying to put into words the feeling of how here's this show about prospects looking climb into the scene, but then here's this guy who's already a seasoned competitor on there also. There are some other guys with a lot of prior experience too, like the k1 fighter on the euro team, but I just don't get the same feeling from them.

I don't have that much personal experience with Ryan - and I don't think he's a bad guy or anything like that - but I do not see him responding well at all to being antagonized by the types of clowns that seem to appear on the show from time to time.

qft.

If anything, Ryan will come off as an evil character on the show.

basically what you are saying is that inside hh > outside hh , there is no doubt about that, the position is way harder to escape, single one x is a great entry, I normally attack the inside ankle lock from ashi, after I sweep the guy I change the leg to the inside, I dont go for hh though, but my ankle lock is pretty good, so is the control I have on the leg, I think you can really hurt people from that position, going belly down with an inside ankle lock is a recipe to break someones ankle...

Well, not exactly.
You can go to the inverted heel hook from ashigarami and still not have the same anti-runout effect of the 50/50. The fact is you basically can't go to the inverted heelhook with putting the hips on the mat.

We see all the time Heelhook attemps against a standing opponent. Going to the full reap and I think (in my humble - non elite leglocker - oppinion) it's a mistake. The old school way of doing the heelhook to a standing opponent is not really effective against someone explosive, slippery and who want's to run out. I am a firm believer of the sweep first, leglock after.

With that said I also believe the 1LX guard sweep is better than the full reap heehook against a standing opponent (we see attempts like that all the time in MMA...). Since Cummings I don't even go for the reap most of the time to finish the heelhook (inverted or regular)

I think when you see guys who go for the legs and they get hit, the problem is they aren't unbalancing their opponent first. Sakuraba vs galesic is a good example. Sure he got it in the end always since he's sakuraba, but he took alot of punishment he didint need to as well.

You trip him up, make him fall over, or have to turn away to escape, and he can't hit you. Keeping him off balance and off his base is key to making the situation favorable.

Yeah, sure. It's funny because Ryan failed at this from the standard position but exactly did this in 50/50.

50/50 is really great to force the fight on the ground. It's not as good as the reap/ashi garami position in terms of anti-counter leglock but it's a good way to skip the wrestling aspect of MMA and chain leglocks attempts without the risk of the opponent slipping out and running out of the ground.

I say it again but the Marcelo Garcia's Guard with heelhooks can be one of the most damaging form of BJJ in MMA.

I dont think I remeber than, I just saw a 46 min interview with him, he didnt mention any of that, he is however showing as always a very cerebral approach to mma, me mentions he would like to show other aspects of his game but in a tournament like hes force to take as less damage possible etc etc etc...

I also dont agree on ryan being in such a different MMA level, yes he is in another galaxy in grappling terms, but I dont even think hes the most decorated grappler to ever step in a tuf house. Serginho was a way more decorated grappler and he never got the hype Ryan is getting (he made fast work of most of his opponents also in the house) I think ryan has a combo, hes like the smallest guys in the show, his truely "I really dont give a fuck" attitude (whithout being a jerk, actually showing to be a nice person) his constant blinking, urija showing to be a fan of his helps him a lot, it also helps that he drops some knowledge every time the camera gets him to talk..

Ryan may turned out to be a really big start once the show ends...

Back