Rumble Johnson - tyson in his prime

I'm by no means a boxing expert or even a big fan, but damn. When I watched the fight Foreman vs. Ali, Foreman looked like a BUM. Zero speed, attrocious technique most of the time, sluggish etc. Any version of Tyson would kill him. BUT I think it was EXTREMELY hot and humid during this fight, maybe that's why he looked like that? So if I just compare THIS Foreman vs. Prime Tyson, it seems like a murder scene is going to happen.

Ali made him look like that. It's a classic style missmatch. A slugger like Foreman will generally be outboxed by a technical boxer like Ali... but put him up against a swarming fighter like Frazier, or Tyson, and it's a different story.

Watch Foreman v Frazier. Then watch Frazier v Ali. Then watch Ali v Foreman.

These fights didn't end up like they did because of off nights by one fighter or the other. They ended up like they did because stylistically, this is precisely how you'd expect fighters of these specific styles to match up, assuming they're all at a similar level.

Granted, Tyson has a lot of power on Frazier... but power wasn't Foreman's issue.

He is more technical than people give him credit for. Big explosive juggernaut is a better storyline though.

Some of you put waaay to much stock into that Nog KO.

The man had been out for well over a year and is ancient in terms of career mileage.

Everyone has their time and era. I just like the way he fights. Even though Foreman may be a bad style match up for him, doesn't mean he's better. I think Frazier was a better boxer than George. I also think Tyson would be a nightmare for Ali. He has to be at his best though, complete tunnel vision.

Stylistically, Tyson should wreck Ali, actually (he's Joe Frazier x 2, with better defense and bricks for hands). So yeah... there might be a bit of nostalgia coming in there.

But even so, I give the nod to Ali because I can't imagine it being an easy fight for either guy... and we've seen how both deal with adversity.

Sure, Tyson wasn't at his best when he was beaten... but people forget that Ali was robbed of some prime years and his losses came well after he was at his best, too. But when he lost, he went down fighting like an old lion, every single time.

I like to watch Tyson fight, too, by the way. I just wish we had gotten to see him at his best matched up against better opponents. Part of that is his fault. He avoided some tough match-ups when he was going through guys, and then when he was forced to take tough match-ups to get back in the mix, he just didn't have it in him anymore.

Tyson with Ali's confidence would have been a world beater. But we really can't pretend that's what Tyson was.

Some of you put waaay to much stock into that Nog KO.

The man had been out for well over a year and is ancient in terms of career mileage.

And Gus couldn't finish million mile retirement Shogun.
Rumble would have absolutely demolished Shogun ,but I am glad that fight did not happen as I would not want to see that.

He prevented Davis from holding on to him, nothing else.

He then knocked out a guy, who literally anyone in the LHW division can beat.

I don't see it..

Evander showed what happens to Tyson when matched against a equal if not better fighter.....I always said if Tyson had fought Riddick Bowe when Bowe was in his prime Bowe woulda owned him....Tyson avoided Bowe like a plague....Don King wanted no part of Riddick Bowe...

Johnson is making his fourth comeback as an unstoppable force, according to sherdog.

Those of us who have been around for awhile have seen the Forum Newbs get hot and bothered by Rumble cause he is athletic and muscular.

We've also seen Rumble destroyed by fighters like Kos and Vitor and have seen the hype die away.

This time will be no different.

Johnson is making his fourth comeback as an unstoppable force, according to sherdog.

Those of us who have been around for awhile have seen the Forum Newbs get hot and bothered by Rumble cause he is athletic and muscular.

We've also seen Rumble destroyed by fighters like Kos and Vitor and have seen the hype die away.

This time will be no different.

Bravo.

I wasn't gonna go the "black, athletic and muscular" route but it's a huge factor in all of the ridiculous comparisons and expectations.

Ali made him look like that. It's a classic style missmatch. A slugger like Foreman will generally be outboxed by a technical boxer like Ali... but put him up against a swarming fighter like Frazier, or Tyson, and it's a different story.

Watch Foreman v Frazier. Then watch Frazier v Ali. Then watch Ali v Foreman.

These fights didn't end up like they did because of off nights by one fighter or the other. They ended up like they did because stylistically, this is precisely how you'd expect fighters of these specific styles to match up, assuming they're all at a similar level.

Granted, Tyson has a lot of power on Frazier... but power wasn't Foreman's issue.

This is a good post.

Foreman was also very good at catching guys coming in and had a pretty heavy jab. Not to mention, he also had a hell of a chin and could gut it out.

Foreman is a live opponent against Tyson.

Does anyone know what the deal was with Foreman and Tyson after Foreman's return? I remember Foreman saying he wanted the fight.

Tyson in his prime would not have been finished by boxing's equivalent of Kos.

Fedor is the closest thing to a Tyson of MMA. Both guys were feared, both were relentless, and both were knocking everyone out.

Fedor_Emelianenko_1000496_medium.jpg

Bravo.

I wasn't gonna go the "black, athletic and muscular" route but it's a huge factor in all of the ridiculous comparisons and expectations.

Yeah the last time this kind of silly Rumble hype took off on the board was after he kicked Charlie Brenneman in the head for a KO. This board had thread after thread about how Rumble was going to clean out the MW division, move up and take out the lhw division and other nonsense "cause he is so athletic"

The more sane posters on here reminded people about Rumbles lack of success against upper level fighters and pointed out he had been absolutely tooled by Koscheck.

Still, there was no getting through to the new fanboys and they shed bitter tears the night Rumble failed to make weight and got humiliated by Vitor in the first round

Tyson in his prime would not have been finished by boxing's equivalent of Kos.

But Tyson in his prime never cut weight classes 3 divisions down from where he was supposed to be fighting.

Kos vs Rumble at LHW or HW would end in Kos getting knocked out.

Ive said this before and Ill say it again, Ronda Rousey is Tyson in his prime for MMA.

Look at all her first round finishes. Look at her record. Look at the fear she imposes in all of WMMA.

Rumble is more of a Rampage in his prime.

that's a rather generous comparison....hes good but lettuce not go overboard here, if he can dispatch Gus and beat Jones then plz continue but in the meantime...nah

I don't agree. Also I don't understand where people get these strange fighter comparisons like "oh yeah Chael Silva is totally like Muhammad Jones in his prime because they both move fast and stuff" like that somehow correlates to something that's measurable? What I do know is that they both have sweet uppercuts.

Vicious%20Mike%20Tyson%20uppercut.gif
SlushyHandmadeFlickertailsquirrel.gif

Last edited:
untill he either wins this gus fight and goes on to beat jones and take the belt, Or he gets a show on adult swim called Rumble johnson mysteries the two cannot be compared IMO.

Back