Rumble at 285

rumble.jpg

Just because he is bigger does not mean he hits harder either.

He sure in the hell wont hit softer than before thats for sure, any fighter that knows how to properly throw a punch know you have to put your weight into it, which i'm sure of course Rumble does.

He sure in the hell wont hit softer than before thats for sure, any fighter that knows how to properly throw a punch know you have to put your weight into it, which i'm sure of course Rumble does.

To be fair I think Rumble was always a "HW at LHW" for me in terms of style, I think you have big LHW's like Jones and Gus to get by on toughness and cardio and then you have guys like Rumble and Crocop who are smaller but get by on finishing ability.

Type "Rumble weighs 285 in Google" there are several articles that confirm his weight.

Nah.

Every single article is just "reporting" on a single statement made a single time by a single guy. That isn't "confirming" anything. Even the most shoddy journalists will generally try to find a second source if they are going to "report" on something one person said one day in an interview with another reporter. Is Rumble a Yetti? Why can't we get a picture of him weighing 285? And, no, unless Rumble is now about 6" 7', the picture in the OP is NOT a 285 lb Rumble.

That's not to say that it's impossible that Rumble now weighs 285 lbs. Give me 10 months or so and I can weigh 285 lbs. I won't look very intimidating, though. Maybe Rumble got fat. It's possible. Heck, maybe he's been eating truckloads of Horse Meat and has turned himself into the Incredible Hulk. Who knows? But, again, I'd like to see a picture and, maybe, see a reporter track him down and ACTUALLY confirm what Ali said... once.

Lets unpack this a little.

He absolutely got tagged by Ngannou, but Stipe was able to take it. That was just one fight ago. Dos Santos looks like a shell of his former self, and their rematch lasted two minutes. In the fight previous, Overeem dropped him.

Now to be clear, I believe Miocic is far and away the best heavyweight (excluding DC for the purpose of this discussion) and one of the few truly well rounded guys. The top 10 of virtually all other divisions are generally populated with people of Stipe's quality, not just one guy, and not 36 years old.

Heavyweight in general has the oldest average age (very bad statistic for athletics) and in my opinion, least rounded skill set in the sport. I don't follow WMMA so to be sure, I'm talking about MMA.

Until the risk -vs- reward changes, the UFC isn't going to attract elite athletes the size of a heavyweight. It's 10k guaranteed to get your head punched in at the highest level of the sport. Thats why we're shuffling around old farts. We crown 8 new All-American Division I heavyweight wrestlers each year - where are they?

Both Brock Lesnar and Cole Konrad attempted to make NFL teams - with the Vikings and Jets respectively - before entering MMA as a backup option.

My overall point is that heavyweight has a talent and depth problem, and it isn't that DC is miraculously in better fighting shape eating fried chicken and clearly overweight, he's fighting a lower level of competition.

There is a reason both Jones and Gus could compete (or beat) DC, and you watch DC just absolutely run roughshod over all the heavyweights he's fought.

I just don't get why you are talking so much about how bad the average HW is now when DC has only fought Stipe of the current crop. It doesn't make sense to talk about the depth of the current HW division when talking about DC at HW cause he's only fought Stipe of the current HW division. It doesn't matter that the depth at HW isn't good right now when talking about DC as a HW cause he's only fought Stipe and back when he was at HW before the guys he fought were much better than most HWs are now. So i'm not sure how relevant the depth of the current HW division is to how good DC is at HW. It just didn't make any sense to me bringing up how bad all the HWs are now when DC hasn't fought them. He should be judged based on who he's fought not who he hasn't fought.

Last edited:
As if he's getting through the USADA testing

I just don't get why you are talking so much about how bad the average HW is now when DC has only fought Stipe of the current crop. It doesn't make sense to talk about the depth of the current HW division when talking about DC at HW cause he's only fought Stipe of the current HW division. It doesn't matter that the depth at HW isn't good right now when talking about DC as a HW cause he's only fought Stipe and back when he was at HW before the guys he fought were much better than most HWs are now. So i'm not sure how relevant the depth of the current HW division is to how good DC is at HW. It just didn't make any sense to me bringing up how bad all the HWs are now when DC hasn't fought them. He should be judged based on who he's fought not who he hasn't fought.

You make a reasonable point, I think we're just talking about different things in a way.

If you asked me if Dos Santos and Overeem are over the hill, lesser versions of themselves from peak, I think we can all agree without controversy, the answer is yes. So we can get them out of the way. Same goes for Werdum, now in his 40's.

So that leaves us with some 'new' guys in the top of the division, with Ngannou and Lewis. Can we both agree, they are not complete mix martial artists? Or more specifically, is it fair to say, they are guys with very lopsided skill sets and big holes in their game?

The top 10 of lower weight divisions have a lower average age and far less top 10 fighters with only a single skill set. That is a call back to the dark ages of MMA, but its still alive and well at the highest level of heavyweight MMA.

Stipe is one of the very few who had a well rounded game, but if you look at his peers its, in my humble opinion, a far easier division in regards to athleticism and skill compared to Jones, DC, Gus and even Rumble. Fight exhibition level talent, get exhibition level results.

Cormier should rightly have an easier time fighting Lewis compared to Gus, because one is extraordinarily more skilled at MMA. This is a very easy to spot problem at heavyweight.

You make a reasonable point, I think we're just talking about different things in a way.

If you asked me if Dos Santos and Overeem are over the hill, lesser versions of themselves from peak, I think we can all agree without controversy, the answer is yes. So we can get them out of the way. Same goes for Werdum, now in his 40's.

So that leaves us with some 'new' guys in the top of the division, with Ngannou and Lewis. Can we both agree, they are not complete mix martial artists? Or more specifically, is it fair to say, they are guys with very lopsided skill sets and big holes in their game?

The top 10 of lower weight divisions have a lower average age and far less top 10 fighters with only a single skill set. That is a call back to the dark ages of MMA, but its still alive and well at the highest level of heavyweight MMA.

Stipe is one of the very few who had a well rounded game, but if you look at his peers its, in my humble opinion, a far easier division in regards to athleticism and skill compared to Jones, DC, Gus and even Rumble. Fight exhibition level talent, get exhibition level results.

Cormier should rightly have an easier time fighting Lewis compared to Gus, because one is extraordinarily more skilled at MMA. This is a very easy to spot problem at heavyweight.

I agree with your assessment of the HW division and of these fighters, I was just confused why you brought them up when you were talking about DC at HW given he hasn't fought any of them.

Maybe you were bringing it up because Rumble might be fighting at HW, IDK, but in the context I saw it didn't make sense to bring them up when talking about HW DC.

Rumble wants to come back at heavyweight, currently weighs 285. Other than DC, I think he matches up well with any other HW. Would like to see him against Stipe.
285-pound-johnson-wants-to-rumble-with-jones.jpg
Can't believe this monster was submitted at welterweight by Josh Koscheck...

Rumble wants to come back at heavyweight, currently weighs 285. Other than DC, I think he matches up well with any other HW. Would like to see him against Stipe.
285-pound-johnson-wants-to-rumble-with-jones.jpg
New USADA loophole, retire for a year and get fucking shredded with the best roids you can get, cycle off properly. Keep unnatural gains and drop some size to make HW while you wait it out in the USADA testing pool or have the UFC pull a brock for you.

Back