Rules that are particular to your gym

I wish Rafael would impregnate my fiance so I could raise his offspring. We look enough alike no one would notice, and my fiance is Brazilian so I don't think anyone would really know.

Her vagina would know and that would be info she would never forget!

Jesus thankfully I don't train at your cult OP... This isn't the 1600's. Do you need permission to wipe your ass too?

Some perfectly fine examples of mat rules - clipping toenail/finger nails, no shoes on mats and look after your partner.

I have visited a lot of gyms but thankfully I have never visited one with these crazy rules.

The gym I train at is very relaxed. There are only two explicit rules that make my instructor crazy
1) No shoes on the mat.
2) Lateness.

All the other stuff like clipping your toenails etc is just regarded as common sense and not something anyone should have to tell you.

I think I have one of the only Brazilian instructors in the world that is a stickler for punctuality. The vast majority of gyms I have visited don't start or end on time making it difficult for people with tight schedules.

my instructor will sometimes make the class start doing extra pushups or burpies if someone comes in late,so they feel responsible for our pain

Not drinking water during class is very stupid. I paid for the class, I'll drink any damn time I please.

Try keeping a class organized and focused when someone can just hop up and run to the water fountain at any point, take as much time as they want, and then just jump right back into class. Teaching is tough enough without having to re-explain the same technique 6 times because 4 different students decided to jump up for a drink and come back at different times.

I got a little emotional one night and over shared.

I think it's safe to say that you're a serial over-sharer. As a personal suggestion, I'd avoid going back into detail on that situation when asked, unless your goal is to make every thread you post in about you and your ex.

Try keeping a class organized and focused when someone can just hop up and run to the water fountain at any point, take as much time as they want, and then just jump right back into class. Teaching is tough enough without having to re-explain the same technique 6 times because 4 different students decided to jump up for a drink and come back at different times.
Or the person that misses the tech just misses it and oh well they wanted water.

Or between teaching you I dunno wait 30 seconds for EVERYONE to grab a drink. Oh the horror from losing one half minute.

We have water time. Granted it's probably a smaller class than you have, but our technique class has a 10-15 minute warmup and then a water break before we start the technique.

Sparring classes have 2 or 3 water breaks, usually after 3 or 4 matches.

Everyone gets back and ready in time to move on with the class.

Or the person that misses the tech just misses it and oh well they wanted water.

Or between teaching you I dunno wait 30 seconds for EVERYONE to grab a drink. Oh the horror from losing one half minute.

I don't know about your school, but many of our classes are only an hour. It's not like anybody is keeling over from dehydration after a 15-20 minute warmup. Moreover, time is short and it's usually a struggle to get the techniques in that the instructor wants to cover, give students time to get enough reps, and still have time to get some live drills or rolling. Is losing 30 seconds a tragedy? No. OTOH, is a student holding out on a drink or bathroom break for 60 minutes unless absolutely necessary a tragedy? Once again, no it isn't. And it's still not a tragedy either way in a 90 minute class.

FWIW, at my dojo students are generally offered a few seconds to grab water after the warmup. I mostly responded because I resent the "I pay for this class, so I should be able to do whatever I want" attitude in the post I had quoted in my previous post.

And as an aside, any teacher who simply says "oh well he wanted water" isn't worth his salt IMO. A good instructor actually wants his students to learn the material, even if they don't feel any particular need to pay attention.

I don't know about your school, but many of our classes are only an hour. It's not like anybody is keeling over from dehydration after a 15-20 minute warmup. Moreover, time is short and it's usually a struggle to get the techniques in that the instructor wants to cover, give students time to get enough reps, and still have time to get some live drills or rolling.

To me, this sounds like poor time management.

If it's a struggle to fit everything in, then the two obvious solutions are to make the classes longer or to spend less time on any of those individual parts of class. Perhaps the warmup could be shorter. Maybe less techniques and drills. Spend less time rolling. Or any combination of these.

In my experience, having a 20 minute warmup for a 60 minute class is likely a waste of time, depending on the nature of the warmup itself. I used to go to a school where the warmups (which consisted of running & calisthenics) were frequently 25 minutes or longer for a 60 minute class. The instructor would then get annoyed because he would run out of time for teaching techniques or rolling. It wasn't one of the main reason I left the school, but it was the last straw for me.

To me, this sounds like poor time management.

If it's a struggle to fit everything in, then the two obvious solutions are to make the classes longer or to spend less time on any of those individual parts of class. Perhaps the warmup could be shorter. Maybe less techniques and drills. Spend less time rolling. Or any combination of these.

In my experience, having a 20 minute warmup for a 60 minute class is likely a waste of time, depending on the nature of the warmup itself. I used to go to a school where the warmups (which consisted of running & calisthenics) were frequently 25 minutes or longer for a 60 minute class. The instructor would then get annoyed because he would run out of time for teaching techniques or rolling. It wasn't one of the main reason I left the school, but it was the last straw for me.

You've got it backwards. If it's not a struggle to fit everything in, that's a sure sign that you're wasting time. Warmup, technique, and rolling...all three components are important.

Also, don't assume that our warmups are strictly calisthenics just because your gym was like that. We do a lot of BJJ-specific movements and even some positional drills. We don't make it a habit of doing calisthenics just for the sake of doing so.

Also, don't assume that our warmups are strictly calisthenics just because your gym was like that. We do a lot of BJJ-specific movements and even some positional drills. We don't make it a habit of doing calisthenics just for the sake of doing so.

Hence my use of the words "likely" & "depending on the nature of the warm up itself."

And if an instructor has to struggle to fit everything he wants to do into a set class time, as you seem to imply, he is not managing his time well. And of course all three class sections are important; that's exactly why good planning is essential. Otherwise, there's a good chance something gets less time and focus than it deserves.

Hence my use of the words "likely" & "depending on the nature of the warm up itself."

And if an instructor has to struggle to fit everything he wants to do into a set class time, as you seem to imply, he is not managing his time well. And of course all three class sections are important; that's exactly why good planning is essential. Otherwise, there's a good chance something gets less time and focus than it deserves.

No matter how well you plan a lesson, there's always someone who has a question, or someone who isn't quite getting the technique and needs additional help. The notion that classes go off precisely as planned every time is just not reality. Plenty of times, the intended 15 minutes of rolling turns into 10, or the 4 techniques he wanted to show get reduced to 3.

So again, I say that if it's easy to get everything into the class time without conflicts between those segments, you're doing something wrong IMO.

No matter how well you plan a lesson, there's always someone who has a question, or someone who isn't quite getting the technique and needs additional help. The notion that classes go off precisely as planned every time is just not reality. Plenty of times, the intended 15 minutes of rolling turns into 10, or the 4 techniques he wanted to show get reduced to 3.

So again, I say that if it's easy to get everything into the class time without conflicts between those segments, you're doing something wrong IMO.

Part of planning a lesson involves taking these things into consideration. If you expect to do 15 minutes of rolling and 4 techniques, but get reduced to 10 & 3, then you do 10 & 3. It should be neither a struggle nor unexpected. In the future, expect to do 10 & 3, but plan in case you're able to do 15 & 4.

And I'm not talking about abnormal or unusual things happening in class, things you can't anticipate. I'm talking about the common things that happen during class which causes an instructor to stray from their ideal lesson plan.

It's like if someone tells your fly is open.

Do you zip it in front of them or turn your back and zip it up?

Old japanese guys say you should turn it around and zip it up.

Belts predate flies in Japan. It's considered similar to adjusting your junk in public view.

Maybe I am rude but I never had this mentioned in Judo, here or in my brief time in Japan. I think you wouldn't do it as it shows you aren't paying attention to someone talking to you, but otherwise it's not really a big deal. At most they'd roll their eyes. I have no recollection of anyone turning around to tie their belt, but most people's belts did not untie easily anyway.

Part of planning a lesson involves taking these things into consideration. If you expect to do 15 minutes of rolling and 4 techniques, but get reduced to 10 & 3, then you do 10 & 3. It should be neither a struggle nor unexpected. In the future, expect to do 10 & 3, but plan in case you're able to do 15 & 4.

And I'm not talking about abnormal or unusual things happening in class, things you can't anticipate. I'm talking about the common things that happen during class which causes an instructor to stray from their ideal lesson plan.

This is becoming a rather pedantic point. You apparently have a problem with the word "struggle". The three components of class are all important, and one segment running over means taking time away from something else that is also important.

You can give me theoretical examples of how everything should go according to plan all the time, but the reality is that sometimes it doesn't. If you have allowed enough time that you don't risk one segment running into another, I am saying that IN MY OPINION you haven't put enough into the class to take full advantage of the time allotted. It's a challenge, and it should be.

Fuck's sake dude, did we really need to go on a 6-post derail on this?

Keep going... this is entertaining me. :D

It's just such a silly point to argue over, because it's just semantics.

Say my plan is to do a 15 minute warmup, 4 techniques, and 15 minutes of rolling. Due to someone needing a lot of additional help to understand one of the techniques, I can only show 3 techniques, or else I'd have to take 5 minutes away from rolling. He's literally arguing that I should plan on only doing 3 techniques, but have a 4th prepared just in case there is time.

Note that in both cases, exactly the same thing occurs: I prepare 4 techniques, but only teach 3 due to time constraints. And we've spent 8 posts now debating that. :rolleyes:

I popped in to a school that had a 5 sec rule on guillotines for white belts, meaning you had to release after 5 sec if the guy didn't tap.

At first I thought WTF, but the reasoning made sense after it was explained to me. So many white belts get a bad connection on the guillotine but just hold and crank. It doesn't really improve technique, stalls sparring and can cost their sparring partner, who hasn't necessarily developed a grappler's neck strength, mat time.

I do remember days where I felt like I didn't want to move my head the next day after sparring.

At my first school, there was a piece of paper on the wall that had the rules, but most were no-brainers. Things like keeping fingernails short, immediately cleaning up any blood on the mat, stuff like that. The only rule I can remember that was different was that white belts weren't allowed to do neck cranks or twisting leg locks.

At my 2nd school, there were 2 rules that stick out in my mind:

Don't practice jiujitsu outside the school.
&
Don't practice techniques that you're not taught in class.

At first, I assumed that the second rule meant that during a particular class, you should only practice the techniques taught in that class. Meaning that if the instructor was doing triangles, don't do three or four triangles, then start working on something else. But it actually meant that you shouldn't practice techniques that you might learn outside of the school, specifically from books, DVDs, and the internet.

Back