Rules that are particular to your gym

Is there a thread on this?

it got deleted by the MODS. I got a little emotional one night and over shared. Its not against the rules and I did not get in trouble for it but they were trying to act in the best manner to help me.

I have had a strange career in the Martial Arts. I have had three separate women date my instructor after leaving me. Ad yes it was all at different gyms.

Some one asked why I don't name that piece of shit. I read something cool the other day that I think I need to learn. It reads:

"don't judge me because I sin differently than you."

I have trained under people who has hit their wife, used steroids, got fired from a job for sleeping with a co worker, sold cocaine, and one who participated in tax fraud, and don't forget the numerous people I have trained under who were illegal immigrants. But none of this compares to the things I have done wrong in my life.

We all sin, and all need to progress ... that's why I do BJJ; well besides being obsessed with it and unable to not do it.

my last instructor was technically a proficient and sound technician. All the people at his gym like him and will learn a great many things from him. Hell I new he cheated on his wife and I still stayed there because oftentimes what happens outside of the gym isn't really relevant inside the gym.

Thats where I get upset. I was punished by him for a crime I committed over 17 years ago when he did not even know who i was. He kicked me out for asking a person 20 years younger than me to help me decorate and paint. This I can understand too; what I can not understand is that the day off my divorce he decides it is not ok to date a woman 18 years younger then him who I am deeply in love with who had divorced me because she doeskin want to deal with my aspergers any longer. I understand why she wanted to hurt me ... I just dont know why he did. I think he just wanted a young hot piece of ass with big fake titties.

But I guess I have gotten to much off topic. My apologies to the TS

it got deleted by the MODS. I got a little emotional one night and over shared. Its not against the rules and I did not get in trouble for it but they were trying to act in the best manner to help me.

I have had a strange career in the Martial Arts. I have had three separate women date my instructor after leaving me. Ad yes it was all at different gyms.

Some one asked why I don't name that piece of shit. I read something cool the other day that I think I need to learn. It reads:

I have trained under people who has hit their wife, used steroids, got fired from a job for sleeping with a co worker, sold cocaine, and one who participated in tax fraud, and don't forget the numerous people I have trained under who were illegal immigrants. But none of this compares to the things I have done wrong in my life.

We all sin, and all need to progress ... that's why I do BJJ; well besides being obsessed with it and unable to not do it.

my last instructor was technically a proficient and sound technician. All the people at his gym like him and will learn a great many things from him. Hell I new he cheated on his wife and I still stayed there because oftentimes what happens outside of the gym isn't really relevant inside the gym.

Thats where I get upset. I was punished by him for a crime I committed over 17 years ago when he did not even know who i was. He kicked me out for asking a person 20 years younger than me to help me decorate and paint. This I can understand too; what I can not understand is that the day off my divorce he decides it is not ok to date a woman 18 years younger then him who I am deeply in love with who had divorced me because she doeskin want to deal with my aspergers any longer. I understand why she wanted to hurt me ... I just dont know why he did. I think he just wanted a young hot piece of ass with big fake titties.

But I guess I have gotten to much off topic. My apologies to the TS

God damn dude, that's insane. Girls love the alpha male, huh?

Sorry for rehashing that whole situation for you man, I apologise.

When someone gets promoted... Nobody gets to do this...

S

Damn, new rule, don't introduce your next girl to your next instructor.

We stand in rank order and bow before/after class. Come to class clean, nails trimmed etc. No shoes on the mat. The only unusual one is this:

Unless you are training for an upcoming MMA competition or have health issues, no drinking water till after class. Classes are 1.5 hrs. The last 30minutes is 6x 5min sparring. This is to teach ppl to become accustomed to being uncomfortable. I was surprised I got used to it so quickly.

No water allowed is strange, especially for casual and new students. There is nothing for them to be gained by being dehydrated, and under certain conditions it could be dangerous (since many people have health issues that they just don't know about).

No water allowed is strange, especially for casual and new students. There is nothing for them to be gained by being dehydrated, and under certain conditions it could be dangerous (since many people have health issues that they just don't know about).

I agree. even at tournaments you get water between rounds so not sure why you would train without it.

Yeah .. misunderstanding. Sorry. I am just but hurt because my Wife left me for my last instructor. It was kinda of an inside joke.

I have only met Marcelo twice. He has always been awesome with me.

I wish Rafael would impregnate my fiance so I could raise his offspring. We look enough alike no one would notice, and my fiance is Brazilian so I don't think anyone would really know.

I agree. even at tournaments you get water between rounds so not sure why you would train without it.

It's a 'toughness' issue. No water breaks was a technique used by every football coach until players started to die during practice.

Now, most people aren't training BJJ in 100 degree heat, but there are plenty of out of shape guys that don't want to look like a wuss on their first week and haven't had a physical since high school.

I could see some minor benefit to professional fighters that have to dehydrate themselves to cut weight but don't handle it well because of mental weakness. But there are probably much better ways to strengthen someone mentally.

There's pretty much nothing more despicable than sleeping with your friend's wife. I've no idea why you're covering for him. Whatever, man.

If you are an ungrateful visitor, you can't rest on a bench, you have to sit on the mat...but if you are on the mat, you have to train.

It's a 'toughness' issue. No water breaks was a technique used by every football coach until players started to die during practice.

Now, most people aren't training BJJ in 100 degree heat, but there are plenty of out of shape guys that don't want to look like a wuss on their first week and haven't had a physical since high school.

I could see some minor benefit to professional fighters that have to dehydrate themselves to cut weight but don't handle it well because of mental weakness. But there are probably much better ways to strengthen someone mentally.

Hydrated bodies train harder longer. Training harder makes you better. It's just antiquated, counterproductive machismo. A rule like this would let me know right away that I should be looking elsewhere for my training.

Most traditional schools are fine with blue and white gis. At ours however only white is allowed

what's the reasoning for this? Some sort of respect thing, it makes no sense to me.

It's like if someone tells your fly is open.

Do you zip it in front of them or turn your back and zip it up?

Old japanese guys say you should turn it around and zip it up.

Belts predate flies in Japan. It's considered similar to adjusting your junk in public view.

Last edited:
Jesus thankfully I don't train at your cult OP... This isn't the 1600's. Do you need permission to wipe your ass too?

Some perfectly fine examples of mat rules - clipping toenail/finger nails, no shoes on mats and look after your partner.

LOL @ all the hate in this thread. BJJ has influences from japanese, brazilian, and in america--American culture, so there are going to be different traditions depending on the lineage and the instructor.

In my Judo background, the common rule was if you are not standing then you are sitting with your legs folded or on your shins. The most common is bowing when you enter the dojo, when you get on the mats, and the same way when you exit. The japanese and koreans view the dojo as a special place of learning almost like it's a buddhist temple and that's why they want you to treat the school and the instructor with the utmost respect.

I visited a BJJ academy not affiliated with mine during an out of town visit, and while I turned to the wall to tie my belt and fix my gi, this filipino blue belt yelled at me, "Don't tie your belt in front of the Brazil flag."-- Caught off Guard like a mofo.

I can't think of any specific rules for my Academy except that usually before worlds, if you are late for competition training, prepare to do a gazillion burpees.

I only read the first 2 pages of this thread, but based on what I read I don't think I would train at about 75% of your guys gyms.

if you poo in the middle of class, it is highly encouraged that you use wet wipes (provided) or jump in the shower and do a quick clean w/soap, because if you have a horrendous bowel movement and then go back to grappling and end up sitting on someones head, you have done that person a great disservice as your sweat picks up on your swamp ass and deposits shit residue all over your training partner's face.

another rule is that after you are done taking a shit, to leave the damn fan on in the bathroom. some of this stuff is common sense but man oh man you get some knuckleheads who weren't raised right or soemthing who fire an atomic bomb in the toilet and then leave the door open without the fan so that everyone has to suffer thru a nuclear winter.

I hear a lot of the Gracies have that rule, too.
Royler oversees a lot of the ones in socal and they were all cooll with blue. When we moved here i was thinking "interesting" and went with it

Royler oversees a lot of the ones in socal and they were all cooll with blue. When we moved here i was thinking "interesting" and went with it

I think it depends personally on the instructor of that particular academy. Some Relson schools on the island seem to allow any color gi while other Relson schools seem to allow only white gis

Back