Rules that are particular to your gym

Wow your guys' gyms have a lot of TMA bs. why do you need permission to step on the mat? Will someone die? It's actually good to get a stretch or warm up in. Why can't you tie belts facing each other? (a common scenario would be tying belts and talking to your partner before class) Will 2 people die? A lot of retarded TMA shit in the BJJ world. We call our instructor by his name cause he is a person, not a supernatural being. He is not our "master".

If you start a roll you finish a roll. If you're tired you can set out, that's fine, but once you start one it doesn't matter if there's 8 minutes left and you gas you finish. That way you don't get in the habit of quitting.

If you're hurt or something that's obviously a different situation.

Wow your guys' gyms have a lot of TMA bs. why do you need permission to step on the mat? Will someone die? It's actually good to get a stretch or warm up in. Why can't you tie belts facing each other? (a common scenario would be tying belts and talking to your partner before class) Will 2 people die? A lot of retarded TMA shit in the BJJ world. We call our instructor by his name cause he is a person, not a supernatural being. He is not our "master".

The titles and belt tying are a sign of respect nothing life threatening, unless you piss a higher belt off :p (god I wish I could afford to go back)

I'd say all of the rules in my gym are also present in many other gyms. No IBJJF rule limits, bowing on/off, being clean, any gi that's not torn up can be worn etc.

However, there is one practice that has unofficially come about that may be unique to my gym and it has to do with my deafness.

I call it the "3 second pause".

When I spar or drill something that has to do with the head, I take my hearing aids off and stick them someplace safe. After that, if the instructor or someone else wants to talk to me in anything more than a short phrase I can lip-read, I need to go get my hearing aids and put them back on.

However, the wizards who built my ear pieces put an unalterable five second delay between the turning on of the hearing aid and the delivery of amplified sound to my ears. Apparently, old people complained like crazy about wanting to push the button and have a delay so they can take their own sweet time plugging them into their ears. And the wizards believed that this was smart or at least what the majority wanted and they made it so.

Anyways, I say "Hang on", dash to the safe spot, snap the hearing aids on, plug them into my ears and go back to the instructor or other person.

And we wait for 3 seconds while my ears boot up. Everybody willingly accepts this pause and will use it to adjust belts, look around or just zone out for a second. They're so patient for that time to elapse and for me to say "Okay".

Then class resumes.

So the gym has a 3 second pause rule while my ears boot up. That's pretty unique.

those are traditions from Traditional Japanese martial arts.

Not bad, I have been several gyms like that. I think it provides a structure and control over a class.

I would go so far to say the weirdest rule was at my last gym. his rule is that the instructors did not date the students.

Hey mate, hope all's well. Good to see the humor is intact lol.

Another rule. You can't walk in front of a black belt, you can only walk behind him or her.

all of my wat are belong to this thread.

While I agree more so with the permission to step on the mat is kinda ehh, tying belts during class in front of an instructor is kinda disrespectful. There are a lot of schools where formality and structure are important rather than it being lax and laidback. It tends to seep into the training imo sometimes. And you're using "master" in the wrong context although you've been conditioned to see the word master as connected to slavery or control over another, it isn't used in the same manner. I haven't seen anyone call any teacher/ instructor "Demigod David" or "Savior Sebastian" haha. Using the word master in a martial arts context or any other highly tuned skillset shouldn't be looked down upon nor should you take offense. Its a title just like Professor is. "He is my master." and "He is my professor." shouldn't be viewed differently because all it does is denote their skill and qualifications to be teaching you whatever it is that you're learning. So in my opinion it's anything but "retarded"

Another rule. You can't walk in front of a black belt, you can only walk behind him or her.

I understand doing that during instruction right? Otherwise that would be kind of odd if it applied everywhere haha.

no shoes on in the mat room. that's about it. there is a rule list on the wall that are pretty common:

clip nails
wear a clean gi to gi class, clean no gi stuff to no gi class
no jewelry except for wedding rings in bjj, no jewelry at all in judo class

that's pretty much it. but the rule of no shoes in the mat room is firm.

You have to walk behind them or go around the back if they are standing or something.

Yeah, and while you're in the act of walking behind them, they spin a 180 on you and boom, you're walking in front of them in the most disrespectful of manners.

Shameful, shameful behaviour.

some of these traditional rules sound retarded to include in a bjj training atmosphere and serve basically no purpose. Why is tying your belt not facing each other even a rule? What practical purpose does this serve? Schools requiring you to call the instructors "master, coach, sensei" seem to look very much like ego stroking. Many schools of the best instructors and top badass competitors I have visited all just had the students call them by their first or last name. I feel since the instructors are rather secure about their abilities and place they are content with just that. Those that are insecure tend to rather force students to call them some sort of title that invokes authority over their students

Back