Rules on Spinal Locks?

TheReaper

White Belt
Reaction score
There seems to be some confusion on what is called in regards to spinal locks in MMA which by the Unified Rules are considered banned. So why do I frequently see can-openers, twisters, and crucifix submissions applied during MMA competition? Not that I'm complaining; I love pulling them off in live. J/C.

There seems to be some confusion on what is called in regards to spinal locks in MMA which by the Unified Rules are considered banned. So why do I frequently see can-openers, twisters, and crucifix submissions applied during MMA competition? Not that I'm complaining; I love pulling them off in live. J/C.

Where do you see that theyre illegal? I see strikes to the spine and small joint manipulation, neither of which qualify

My understanding is spinal locks are all legal. Neck Cranks, Twisters, Can Openers are frequently attempted or applied.

Ummm...there's nothing in Unified Rules that says spinal locks are illegal.

I invented one. Or at least came up with one that none of the pro fighters I trained with had seen, including the instructor who is/was known and pretty respected. It's from NS position. You lock on to NS without covering the inside carotid with your fist, and you slide your body up so their head is about even with your ribs. You get their face pointing off to the outside, and slide your body down pushing their head back and to the side while pulling up on the back of the neck. You keep their chest/body from bridging up with your chest/shoulder still being on theirs a bit. I tapped a couple pro fighters (smaller) with it, and about 50 novices. If anybody wants to roll in SE Michigan, I work out at a Powerhouse and i would be happy to demonstrate.

I invented one. Or at least came up with one that none of the pro fighters I trained with had seen, including the instructor who is/was known and pretty respected. It's from NS position. You lock on to NS without covering the inside carotid with your fist, and you slide your body up so their head is about even with your ribs. You get their face pointing off to the outside, and slide your body down pushing their head back and to the side while pulling up on the back of the neck. You keep their chest/body from bridging up with your chest/shoulder still being on theirs a bit. I tapped a couple pro fighters (smaller) with it, and about 50 novices. If anybody wants to roll in SE Michigan, I work out at a Powerhouse and i would be happy to demonstrate.

You should make a video of that and post in F12.

I also suggest you document it in a video and publish it. There are many information thieves on the internet.

I don't need credit for it, I know I did it before I saw anybody else do it, but I'm sure somebody else somewhere has done it. I wouldn't make me a lot of money. I would really just like to start rolling a little again for the feeling of well-being it gives you. (without paying for lessons lol)

Back