Rucking

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Gmork, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Gmork Purple Belt

Thoughts on rucking and its benefits? Anyone have a good starters guide?

This year, during the lockdowns, I'd gotten myself into a pretty good groove alternating workouts and going for long walks. Ended up having to move and now I'm just doing those daily long walks. I know it beats nothing, but I've got some weight I need to lose and don't have a good home workout situation anymore. What do you think? Should I buy a rucksack and try to make this a thing? Any of you guys do it?

2. wufabufa Silver Belt

3. TerryMCLOOPS Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Yes, good idea. Start with 25 lbs or less if you need and work your way up over time. You don't need any equipment to workout. Educate yourself. Find out what calisthenics means. Being at home is not an excuse just so you know this.

4. Cole train Silver Belt

Every guy who has been in military knows all about this lmao

55 min marching 5 minutes off

Triceratops and Sunnyvale TP like this.
  5. Jack Handy jr Silver Belt

If you’re a marine then yes a 25lb ruck would be what you’re use to

However if your an Infantry Soldier in The ARMY you’d need to add about another 100lbs to that 25

6. KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

Reminds me of the scene from the classic film, Zulu

South African, "Alright, how far can you lot march in a day?"

Welsh soldier, "Oh, twenty, maybe twenty five miles".

South African, "Well a Zula can run - RUN - fifty miles! And fight a battle at the end of it!"

Welsh soldier, "Well there's daft it is, then! I don't see no sense in running to fight a battle!"

cagerageforever likes this.
  7. cagerageforever Blue Belt

Damn man. I am 39. How old are YOU?

8. KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

53 ;)

9. TerryMCLOOPS Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

25 lbs?

The fuck?

Shut up.

Jack Handy jr and Sunnyvale TP like this.
  10. Sunnyvale TP Yellow Belt

Y'all don't go backpacking? I did 74 miles this summer with a 50lb pack over 5 days. Hell of a workout. Just get a good backpack and weight it up properly. Or get a weight vest and walk with that.

11. Mike Hagger Brown Belt

15mi a day with 50lbs for 5 days, even if the terrain was like Oklahoma that’s not easy. For some reason I think you’re underplaying how difficult that weight and movement is or you’re BSing the numbers.

I have done a similar mileage and it took months of preparation and conditioning. Selecting the right boots and other equipment takes miles to do so. Special Forces selection and long foot movements are synonymous which I did successfully years ago.

TS rucking is a good workout, unless you’re training for a specific hike than the weight ought to remain nominal. A lot of people add much more weight than necessary. 25-30lbs is perfect for training. Start slow and build up, a goal is to maintain 12-14min miles. The hardest part is keeping that brisk walking pace over time. A mistake people make is going too slow and not getting their heart rate high enough to be a real benefit.

You’ll want a real ruck sack and not some school backpack, for weight use ziplock bags and sand. You need something that takes up space and doesn’t shift around. Weights work but they do not distribute the weight well.

If you have a surplus store the medium Alice pack is a simple design that can stand a lot of abuse. Just make sure the middle strut of the frame isn’t bent, cause that commonly happens. It’s cheap and works but the modern packs are more comfortable and lighter.

Bring spare socks, friction and boots will cause blisters, if you feel a hot spot don’t tough it out just change your socks.

KnightTemplar and Sunnyvale TP like this.
  12. Sunnyvale TP Yellow Belt

The pack did get lighter as the hike went on, and hiked 12 hours a day usually.

Sand bags are good. Salt bags will be larger on average and take up more room in your bag.
    Defiantly start at a lower weight. You don't want your your body to build up. Pretty much everything
    @Mike Hagger said. Socks and shoes!

If you do want to start back packing. Then an Osprey or similar backpack work good for allowing you to move the weight distribution around between your shoulders, back and hips.

Ohh and I just went over the days in my head and it was 6 days total. Still rough on the body, but you don't get into the back country easy. Unless you have horses.

Mike Hagger likes this.
  13. Mike Hagger Brown Belt

That’s good advice, that’s a lot of walking but it’s fun doing long movements. Outside of the military I do so recreationally.

Another weight filler I liked was mulch bags. I tape them up and add a few smaller weights.

Sunnyvale TP likes this.
  14. Sunnyvale TP Yellow Belt

Before going to boot camp years ago my dad had me go walk around the neighborhood with a backpack holding a 35lbs salt bag.
    Now I use a weight vest that does 40-60kbs to get my legs in shape for hiking season and do smaller hikes leading up to the bigger ones.
    The best part of hiking back into the mountains is you get past the crowded areas after about 10 miles where most people stop. If you go multiple days then you get to really experience the outdoors.

Mike Hagger likes this.
  15. Mike Hagger Brown Belt

Yeah I agree, most people are fat and out of shape. They make the 1mi max walk. They miss the better scenery deeper into the forest. Most Americans are slobs, it’s kind of tragic.

Sunnyvale TP likes this.
  16. jgarner Silver Belt

Lol right? As a regular infantry Marine, your combat load is probably around 80lbs with total kit. As a Weapons Company Marine you might be up to 150 with crew served weapons.

Shit my SAW weighed something like twenty pounds just by itself.

KnightTemplar likes this.
  17. Sunnyvale TP Yellow Belt

I agree. Way too out of shape to do much but go to their job, then sit on a couch.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  18. ThunderL1ps Red Belt

I add marching with a loaded pack while swinging indian clubs. I have gotten some weird looks, but whatever. It works everything.

If you get a pack, you don't need a lot of weight. Like one of the other posters said, 25 to 30 pounds to start is fine. make sure to use the straps aren't digging into your shoulders. It is not a good feeling.

Without adding weight, a progression would be to march (raising your thighs to parallel, staying on the ball of your feet) and swinging your opposite arms. Adding Indian clubs are another progression.

19. TerryMCLOOPS Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

12 mile run with a 25 lb vest dont be a pussy

20. Jack Handy jr Silver Belt