ROYLER GRACIE FINALLY OPENS UP ABOUT EDDIE BRAVO RIVALRY...

Without being too harsh or exaggerating can someone explain to me Brazilian mentality about losing?

I used to think it was more an individual thing. "So and so is a sore loser." But almost every single Brazilian has a million excuses. Is it a culture thing im not understanding? I know MMA fighters have a lot of pride but it seems excessive with Brazilians.

They are on par with Americans, fight game is hard you need to cope with defeat someway

Renzo was never like that.
Depends... he did say that the Tamura loss was not a 'real' one since under Rings´specific ruleset...

Without being too harsh or exaggerating can someone explain to me Brazilian mentality about losing?

I used to think it was more an individual thing. "So and so is a sore loser." But almost every single Brazilian has a million excuses. Is it a culture thing im not understanding? I know MMA fighters have a lot of pride but it seems excessive with Brazilians.
I think it probably comes from the Vale Tudo days... The rivalry was so intense [no equivalent in modern MMA, except perhaps BTT vs Chuteboxe, but this rivalry was mainly due to Pelé who was the real firestarter... he even once made Big Nog cry at ringside] that fighters tended to deny their losses, & tbh that´s the beauty of that era... Nobody ever lost, all 'undefeated'...
That´s why one of the main Fight Configuration was Draw in case of no finish, especially @ OW ...

The rivalry back then would not end in the ring, & because of temporary crises [prohibition or economic crises] durin´the Vale Tudo days, they had to resume it in the streets, with even more hardcore 'rules'...

But at one point, the scene kindah tried to revert that situation, tho: at the 1st BJJ vs LL challenge, once challenged the pressure was such that you couldnt back down, or were declared the loser (that´s why Molina couldnt cancel his bout even though he had an injured knee, or later Behring was declared the loser when he couldnt step [injury] into the ring against Duarte).

Last edited:
Depends... he did say that the Tamura loss was not a 'real' one since under Rings´specific ruleset...

I think it probably comes from the Vale Tudo days... The rivalry was so intense [no equivalent in modern MMA, except perhaps BTT vs Chuteboxe, but this rivalry was mainly due to Pelé who was the real firestarter... he even once made Big Nog cry at ringside] that fighters tended to deny their losses, & tbh that´s the beauty of the era... Nobody ever lost, all 'undefeated'...
That´s why one of the main Fight Configuration was Draw in case of no finish, especially @ OW ...

The rivalry back then would not end in the ring, & because of temporary crises [prohibition or economic crises] durin´the Vale Tudo days, they had to resume it in the streets, with even more hardcore 'rules'...

But at one point, the scene kindah tried to revert that situation, tho: at the 1st BJJ vs LL challenge, once challenged the pressure was such that you couldnt back down, or were declared the loser (that´s why Molina couldnt cancel his bout even though he had an injured knee, or later Behring was declared the loser when he couldnt step [injury] into the ring against Duarte).
Interesting thanks!

lol, at least Royler didn't lynch Eddie after losing like Carlson did to Rufino Dos Santos

https://submissionwrestlingarts.com/blog/catch-wrestling/rufino-dos-santos-vs-carlos-gracie

Come on, that's Carlos Gracie, you racist <Deported1>

Eearily similar to that time Robin Gracie lost to Damien Riccio (who passed away in 2016...) in France.
https://www.bjjee.com/articles/the-...nt-horribly-wrong-robin-gracie-damien-riccio/

- French Fighter Damien Riccio (who's father, a abusive piece of shit by all acounts, was a Kyokushin karate pioneer in France; Damien and all of his brothers are Karate champions who dominated their region for years) challenged Royce's youngest brother Robin Gracie as part of the "Gracie Challenge" that Robin was promoting.

- Robin accepted, thinking that Damien was just a Karate champion, but he was also training 3 times a week under Georges Carbasse, a French wrestler who participated in the 1972 Summer Olympic in Germany (which was won by Dan Gable, but sadly mostly remembered because of the Palestinian terrorists who killed 12 people during the ceremony), so he knew some ground game, and won when Robin tapped to strikes.

- Damien Riccio never got the 1 million pesetas he was supposed to win for beating a Gracie (Gracie Challenge rules)

- Royce Gracie, followed by Robin and 5 or 6 of their GJJ buddies showed up at the bar Damien worked at to beat him up; and ended up ganging up on and soccier kicking his little brother, teenager Matthias Riccio
(who ended up becoming a great kickboxer/savate champion in his own right, after becomming France's karate champion in his weight class, a rite of passage that was required of all of brothers in order for their drunk father not to beat the shit out of them).

Interesting family these Riccios, Damien's 3 brothers, Laurent, Christophe and Matthias were all black belts & France Karate champions at one point.

Matthias in particular had some success, and talks about that story in this interview in French:
https://www.lasemaineduroussillon.com/2018/09/04/matthias-riccio-violence/
ps: in 2018, Matthias Riccio won the IBJJF HW world title in California
image.jpg

after winning the European title a few months before.
DZSM02jWsAAw_4P.jpg

Anyway... always good to hear about Royler vs Eddie Bravo, those were some fun bouts.

... and let's even even go into the Ralph Gracie & 3 friends of his sucker elbow'd and lynching Flavio Almeida (Ricardo's brother), breaking most of his teeth in the attack... because of some good old Gracie vs Gracie-Barra territory conflict

Still can't believe Renzo is on Ralph's side, talkig about how Gracie Barra turns BJJ into a "gay" sport.

But Renzo is a fan of Bolsonaro, so why would I be surprised... I still like the guy as a fighter, but he seems more and more like a scumbag as he grows older.

Last edited:
Back