1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

ROYLER GRACIE FINALLY OPENS UP ABOUT EDDIE BRAVO RIVALRY...

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by BrazilPitbullUS, Nov 15, 2020.

1. BrazilPitbullUS Purple Belt

2. DoctorTaco Breadhead

Cliffs:

-the sun was in his eyes
    -He has a stomach ache that day
    -his shirt was rubbing in a weird way that was distracting
    -his knee hurt
    -he had a lot of things on his mind at the time

3. MMALOPEZ Steel Belt

Lol

4. gono btw Rounds... Banned

Ahead on points, was inquirin´about the time left...

In the late Carlson´s words, when one of his students would lose on points:"Who told you to go to them Judges? You know that they are all from Gracie Barra, they dont like you! Why are you cryin´ now? Out of my sight!"

5. loyalyolayal Banned Banned

Carlson was og and would have beaten the shit of Bruce Lee who was 8 years younger than him.

wufabufa and manboy<3 like this.
  6. pbateman Purple Belt

foaming at the mouth and running at pigeons
    smooth assassin likes this.
  7. Idonotbelieveit winning

Royler got smashed

8. balkanbomber85 Trollhunter

there is NOT ONE Brazilian in history of any martial arts who was healthy and lost...

im shocked you guys dont know that!

9. noc Green Belt

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  10. NoahG Banned Banned

gracies are hated even in brazil because they're too arrogant and they always find some excuse for their losses

Coconutwater and DoctorTaco like this.
  11. Bluesbreaker Black Belt

They'd certainly cultivated the myth they were invincible though.

12. NoahG Banned Banned

Rickson is the only one, royce admits he's 10 times better than him and he was more athletic.

13. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

Interesting thing about the two is how Eddie Bravo looked down on leglocks for the longest time and also, to an extent, on wrestling, whereas Royler, who in many people's minds is associated with traditionalist BJJ and the "old guard" that Eddie was rebelling against, actually embraced all of the above and can even be seen hitting standing entries into Achilles locks in his ADCC matches. I'd actually argue that between the two, Eddie Bravo was the more close-minded when it came to their approaches to grappling.

Mr.Maelstrom and CinemaKingdom like this.
  14. Coconutwater Brown Belt

I don’t know... Eddie had no problem will ankle locks early in his career, JJM advised against them because the Brazilians would riot had he won with one...

Royler and Helio’s side embraces leg locks only after the older guard lost to Fadda’s students and even then, Helio was reluctant to admit it was a weakness in their game, referring to ankle locks as “suburban techniques.” So yeah, Helio had to ensure his kids knew basic ankle locks.

Eddie developed a pretty crazy game around his flexibility that definitely annoyed the Gracies, except for Rickson, who, oddly, learned more leg locks from video tapes Eric Paulson gave him.

15. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

The thing with Fadda was ancient history by the time Royler was competing in ADCC. Eddie was always talking leglocks down in the early days. He even admits as much later on in one of his books. Royler actually took heat from Rorian his game not being "traditional Gracie jiu jitsu" essentially. Royler was constantly incorporating different things into his game, whereas Eddie, until fairly recently, was basically just a guard guy. He himself acknowledged that he went overboard in dismissing the importance of aspects like leglocks and wrestling...he definitely went way, way overboard in ripping catch-wrestling. Eddie even said that a figure-four toe-hold, one of the few submissions he demonstrated in his initial book on the rubber guard, wouldn't work in competition, which is utterly absurd but again, shows what his attitude towards leglocks was. The only ones he believed in were ones like the so-called "vaporizer."

I've heard Erik recount the story about Rickson and the Shooto videotapes, but the fact is that, aside from Rickson's foray into sambo, Royler is the one you actually see successfully attacking with leglocks, and from all sorts of angles. Part of me wonders if Royler didn't leave Vale Tudo Japan with more than just a trophy, but that's all specuation. He was doing stuff like the back-step from half-guard into the knee-bar, dropping to butterfly for a heel-hook attack, lots of stuff that wasn't in vogue back then with the general BJJ community.

Beyond the rhetoric and the general narrative, I think Royler was actually the more open-minded of the two and I think their styles at the time reflected as much.

16. Joe_Armstrong Starfleet Belt

Saku schooled them all

17. Coconutwater Brown Belt

Very interesting point about Royler, and I’m inclined to agree based on your knowledge.

I kind of give Eddie a pass on being “closed minded”, since the guy tapped Royler using part of his rudimentary system and as such, subconsciously, tried to prove that his system was valid and can be dominant, so he ran with it. After so many years of trying to produce a student who would prove his theories (and failed for the most part), DDS came along and slapped him into sobriety.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Wrestler160 and Kforcer like this.
  18. JacJeanFinger Brown Belt

Royler fought murahama under mma rules in 2001. This is what murahama had to say about the elder opponent.

"When either guy's technical advantage is not great enough to lead victory (finish), whoever possesses more power must win. Gracie was definitely on the way to be defeated if it wasn't for the bell that saved him. "

19. scorpiorising The world eater

Without being too harsh or exaggerating can someone explain to me Brazilian mentality about losing?

I used to think it was more an individual thing. "So and so is a sore loser." But almost every single Brazilian has a million excuses. Is it a culture thing im not understanding? I know MMA fighters have a lot of pride but it seems excessive with Brazilians.

20. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

Renzo was never like that.