Royler as instructor.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by op3r, Aug 17, 2010.

1. op3r

op3r Guest

Does anyone have experienced having a seminar or taken classes with royler as an instructor? Any reviews? comments?

2. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

He covers mostly rubberguard stuff.:icon_chee

3. op3r

op3r Guest

and all this time I thought he covers all things triangle?

4. pailum117

pailum117 Blue Belt

He did a seminar at our school and although I wasn't personally able to go everyone seemed pretty blown away. FML:(

5. Jiu Jitsuka

Jiu Jitsuka A Flight And A Crash

I had a chance to catch one of Royler's seminars and it was excellent. Great teacher and great guy. He covered a nice balance between competition BJJ and self-defense BJJ.

He was very involved with all of the students working on the techniques he covered and was super laid back.

6. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

Good thread... Would love to hear from anyone that trains at Gracie Humaita in Rio.

7. Mikey Triangles

Mikey Triangles Bending Joints the Wrong Way Since 1985

The proof is in the pudding. Just look at the number of Champions Royler has produced! He's clearly a phenomenal instructor.

8. MrBen

MrBen Orange Belt

how many?

The riberio brothers come to mind, but i cant think of anymore off the top of my head.

I hear such mixed things about his seminars but i think if you were his student he would be a great teacher.

9. Sub Dude

Sub Dude Blue Belt

I went to a Royler seminar last year. First, let me say, Royler was a super nice guy, very approachable. First thing he did was go around a shake hands and talk with everyone on the mat individually. As far as what was shown, he spent a lot of time covering basic self-defense techniques, such as headlock escapes, etc. His instruction was very detailed, but everything was very basic. During the Q & A, it was cool to hear him talk a lot about his experience coming up in jiu-jitsu, and his competition career. However, he did not seem very interested in entertaining questions about more "sport" related techniques (deep half guard) for example....it was very cool getting to meet Royler and train with him. My only complaint was that everything was on a very basic level, however, that was probably mostly due to the fact that the club that was hosting the seminar was fairly new, and most of the students there were white belts. At the time, I was a purple belt, and I think there was one other purple, one brown (the club owner) and maybe a couple blues. Overall, it was clear why Royler is a great teacher. He relates very well to students, and is very good at explaining the small details and why techniques work the way they do. If you get a chance to train with him, definitely go.

10. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Supposedly he knows his stuff.

11. armtriangle

armtriangle Brown Belt

We had Royler over for a seminar last fall. It was really good. He didn't cover a huge number of moves, but went into good detail and used different guys as dummies so a lot of guys got to feel him.

He showed some basic stuff and also showed some new stuff (he showed the darce from underneath side control- it was the first time I had seen it).

Then he came over to my house and watched some MMA that was on that night (no shit). Super cool dude and great instructor.

12. scyman

scyman White Belt

His classes are great! He keeps things very positive and fun, while also being serious and hardworking at the same time. The flow of his class is continually moving and you have such a great time. He really understands how to make a class both enjoyable and productive.

13. J Sho

J Sho Green Belt

Royler is the most successful coach of the modern era in terms of personal and student competition success (the number of golds/medals that he & saulo & xande have from CBJJ/CBJJO/ADCC is enormous).

Off the top of my head his students would include: Xande, Saulo, Omar Salum, Daniel Moraes, Leo Xavier, Megaton & Fredson Alves?

14. SD112

SD112 White Belt

You can add Regis Lebre, Rodrigo Pinheiro, Eduardo Rocha, and Fabricio Morango to that list. His teaching reflect his rolling, which consists of a lot of basics but he does them so well that that's all he needs. When I rolled with him I can clearly remember him repeatedly mounting me and cross collar choking me. This doesn't mean he doesn't know how to defend the fancier moves though, I still see blackbelts going to him for advice on the latest moves.

15. J Sho

J Sho Green Belt

also Marcos Norat, Paulo Barroso, Renato Barreto & Paulo Coelho.

16. MrBen

MrBen Orange Belt

I meant black belt mundial adult champion, but that's alot more names that i thought.

The really impressive thing to me is he has put out champions over most weights.
    Most of his students who have won, are multiple winners.
    He has people winning gold from 96-08. So he is consistently producing new champions.

Marcus Norat rooster 2002
    Paulo Barroso Lightweight 1996
    Omar Salum rooster 1999,2000
    Daniel Moraes lightweight 2003,2004
    Saulo Ribeiro Middle 97,heavy 98,middle heavy 99,super heavy 00,middle heavy 02
    Alexandre Ribeiro Heavy 2004,2006,2007,2008 Openweight 2006,2008

17. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Interesting thread.... was wondering this myself.

18. McBain

McBain Orange Belt

JSho, you forgot Vinny Magalhaes, you're slipping! :icon_chee

I think he could have been a World Champ if continued competing in the gi.

19. J Sho

J Sho Green Belt

Vinny was super pesado though, so not likely to win that div, maybe pesadissimo though.

i listed all his mundials black belt medallists (except vinny, wasn't sure how long he had trained with royler).

20. andrewvu22

andrewvu22 White Belt

Royler Gracie is coming to LaselvaMMA in wichita ks october 9th...and i heard he's a damn good teacher and guy...hopefully i can save enough money to go