Royce Gracie is fighting again...I'm sad

If it makes him happy (and money) and somone is willing to put in on, more power to him.

Why does it matter if they are older? That only means the match will be more technical, not about the brute force of 2 younger monkeys trying to rip each other apart lol
I will enjoy watching them for sure.

I'm sure Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock will still beat up the rest of you Sherdoggers here in a street fight. My 2 cent.
A lot of people with good takedown defensw and good stand up could probably light royce the f****** at this point.

And I think that there are actually quite a few posters on here who could probably grapplefuck shamrock. He could not choke Kimbo Slice, but he is going to choke good black belts? And remember that time that Sakuraba knocked him out? Because sakuraba is known for his spectacular knockouts.

I don't hate it at all. They're legendary fighters. And this sport IS martial arts...and MANY men and women in their 40s and 50s train martial arts. MMA is a test for martial arts. I don't see an issue with it. Heck....could be inspiring for some people in those age groups to keep training in their own martial arts journey.

I happen to find this fight FAR more legit than whatever CM Punks 1st UFC fight will be. He wouldn't make it past Round 1 with Shamrock or Gracie.

I think this rematch will probably continue every 3-5 years for the next 15-20, with never a dull moment.

I wish MMA was more like professional wrestling, like the old Pride days.

If pro wrestling was real that would be totally awesome. I love these crazy matchups, breaks the monotony.

Can't wait to see these guys go at it in their walkers in the nursing home.

"He's fallen and he can't get up"

I dont get why everyone gets on their high horse when it comes to professional athletes. No one posting in this thread is top 100 in the world in their profession. No one. Not top 100 dad on earth, top 100 friend on earth. Nothing even close. But when 2 guys are still actively competing for a paycheck who arent as good as they once were or arent the best in the world, everyone jumps on their ass and says they shouldnt have the right to make money.

Two legends want to make some money by competing? Go for it. Unless you have some kind of credentials in your field of work that trump Shamrock or Gracie, either shut the fuck up or take your own stance and quit your own job.

Looking forward to it! Age is just a number

I dont get why everyone gets on their high horse when it comes to professional athletes. No one posting in this thread is top 100 in the world in their profession. No one. Not top 100 dad on earth, top 100 friend on earth. Nothing even close. But when 2 guys are still actively competing for a paycheck who arent as good as they once were or arent the best in the world, everyone jumps on their ass and says they shouldnt have the right to make money.

Two legends want to make some money by competing? Go for it. Unless you have some kind of credentials in your field of work that trump Shamrock or Gracie, either shut the fuck up or take your own stance and quit your own job.
Just sad because I feel like the only reason they're fighting is because they're broke, not because they want to

I'm glad you posted this thread, it reminded me of this awesome grandpa freakshow fight. I will have popcorn ready

I'm sure Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock will still beat up the rest of you Sherdoggers here in a street fight. My 2 cent.
i'm no world-beater, but i am in my physical prime and if i had to face an active mma fighter, i'd prefer to face a 50 year old legend than a guy fighting on some regional show.

in their prime? i wouldn't last a minute. now? come on, man.

why would you even say that? no one is offended they're fighting, we're just complaining about what's being sold to us as quality mma. these guys are well respected, and they were good when they were younger. but they aren't now and it will very likely be a painful fight to watch.

i wouldn't want to watch george foreman fight today either. not because i think i'm better than him, but because he's 70 fucking years old. it would just suck.

why would you even say that? no one is offended they're fighting, we're just complaining about what's being sold to us as quality mma. these guys are well respected, and they were good when they were younger. but they aren't now and it will very likely be a painful fight to watch.

i wouldn't want to watch george foreman fight today either. not because i think i'm better than him, but because he's 70 fucking years old. it would just suck.

Quality in a product is defined by attributes that are important to the person assessing that product. The product is an MMA match.

If the product sells, we will see more of it. If it does not sell, well, there you go. I personally find this match interesting and want to see it.

You said Royce and Shamrock are no longer good? That is some statement. Let's ban all BJJ Masters from tournements while we are at it. After all, they're not good and who the hell wants to watch that. Is THAT your position?

As for MMA quality, not all matches are created equal, and each match varies in quality.

-T

You said Royce and Shamrock are no longer good? That is some statement.

have you seen shamrock's last fight? i seriously hope you aren't suggesting that he is anything but terrible at this point. i don't understand why it's unacceptable to be critical of the current performances of these guys. if i said they were never any good, i'd deserve to get bitchslapped. but now? they are old, worn out, battered. there is no shame in that, i'm not mocking them. but it's a fact of life. ken can't move properly anymore, he doesn't have the speed, the power, or the cardio. he's all heart at this point.

Let's ban all BJJ Masters from tournements while we are at it. After all, they're not good and who the hell wants to watch that. Is THAT your position?
yes, there is absolutely no difference between a masters division in a BJJ tournament and the main event of a high profile MMA organization. tell me, how many times have you paid for a stream to watch the masters division of a BJJ tournament? how often do you think anyone else does it? no one except the most devout fans even watch BJJ competitions anyway, it's not a spectator's sport.

by your logic, i should be asking you if you want RDA vs mcgregor replaced with kimo leopoldo vs pat smith. is THAT your position?

these guys should go and make all the money in the world, and i hope they do. but to act as if this is anything but a desperate marketing move is idiotic.

As for MMA quality, not all matches are created equal, and each match varies in quality.
why thank you for this insight.

Just sad because I feel like the only reason they're fighting is because they're broke, not because they want to
It's a bit of both really. After their second fight, Royce semi retired for nearly 6 years.
Ken has offered challenges to Royce often, one of Royce's responses about a decade ago was to fight at 195lb. Ken can barely make 205 without dying, he looks terrible there, and he hasn't been the same since he left for the WWE, had his heart palpitations mid fight etc. I used to be a huge shammy fan (even met the man) and it's sad to see him go like this.

Quality in a product is defined by attributes that are important to the person assessing that product. The product is an MMA match.

If the product sells, we will see more of it. If it does not sell, well, there you go. I personally find this match interesting and want to see it.

You said Royce and Shamrock are no longer good? That is some statement. Let's ban all BJJ Masters from tournements while we are at it. After all, they're not good and who the hell wants to watch that. Is THAT your position?

-T

And that's his exact point. He's assessing it as a shit product. People have a right to do that and express their opinion on it.

I am legit pumped for this fight tonight.

Im calling Ken, tko via a knee.

Back