Royce Gracie is fighting again...I'm sad

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by jack36767, Feb 16, 2016.

1. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

Won't lie, Royce Gracie pisses me off plenty and I know why he's doing it with the tax issues

But it was kinda depressing being reminded he's fighting Shamrock...ugh

2. Steve08

Steve08 American Fedor Belt

You know what's even more sad? The fact that this "fight" (between a 49 year old man and a 52 year old man, for reference) is probably gonna do good ratings wise, creating incentive for more match-ups like this in the future. This new era of Bellator is... strange.

I miss the tournaments and weekly MMA and lack of affiliation with Kimbo Slice.

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  3. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

Yup the Kimbo and Shamrock fight started it...God American mma fans can be dumb...I'm American too...sad face

I really hope this WWE trend can be stopped.

4. Steve08

That fight was a ratings boom for them, yeah. But for me, Tito Ortiz vs. Stephan Bonnar and the ridiculous pageantry of Justin fucking McCully wearing a mask is really where they took a turn for the worst. Also maybe the fact that they signed Tito in the first place.

I'm really not sure if they are even trying to target MMA fans with stuff like this. I can definitely see people with no legitimate interest tuning in to see Kimbo fight some random guy just because he's Kimbo. For example, a close friend of mine who doesn't really follow MMA otherwise is interested in the fight because he saw the documentary, Dawg Fight, which is probably the only reason anyone has ever heard of Dhafir Harris. This person can't name the actual promotion the fight is taking place in. So yea.

Wouldn't really be surprised if they were hoping to target people who know about Ken from the WWF either.

5. kenpeters8

kenpeters8 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I'm sure Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock will still beat up the rest of you Sherdoggers here in a street fight. My 2 cent.

Zola and BJJChess like this.
  6. Steve08

Yeah, it's almost like professional MMA fighters with decades of training under their belt would have an advantage over random hobbyists!!!

You sure got me...

7. number9dream

number9dream Blue Belt

I don't mind this particular fight that much, because they are both similarly past their prime... Probably shouldn't be a main event fight tho.

8. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

I'm with you on this one. Although even the tournaments I was not fond of. Aside from giving them a tagline, I think it didn't help them. It made it harder to make interesting matchups.

I'm going to say the same thing that I said last time, when Ken was set to fight Kimbo and grappling heads were keen to see some catch wrestling moves: You're going to be disappointed. If these men didn't give you a technical clinic when they were in their late 20's (they didn't), then don't expect something better when they are 50.

These men are physically depleted as far as competing in a full contact MMA fight. They are not Randy Couture types who have preserved their longevity by starting late and staying in peak physical form throughout the years. Ken has taken large chunks of time away from the sport, and I don't even know what Royce has been doing training-wise (if anything) for the past 10 years. Who knows if they can go a full round. This will be an embarrassing display by two legends and it will settle nothing. You will watch it. And you will be sad.

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  9. The Polish Pounder

The Polish Pounder Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

If Ken couldn't submit Kimbo with a fully locked in RNC then I don't know what he'll do with even current Royce.

10. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

In their 2nd fight Royce was the one worse for it all and had to hit the hospital. But, i feel Ken is a man who is "fishy" lately. So he'll likely lose from falling over his own toe and die from a 12km/h wind. I hate how my favorite fighter became this.

11. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

No one on this thread was talking smack saying they could beat them...

Just sadness that two old men, who are still legends to some people on this forum are still fighting under fugaze circumstances

12. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

Not worth making another thread over but BJ Penn is training to come back and calling out a B level fighter...sigh

13. Steve08

Oh, of course. I think Kens grappling technique has always been overrated to some extent. People on Sherdog (not this forum but others) seem to think he's a GOAT leg locker... but he was easily reversed and owned by Royce who obviously isn't much of a leg lock guy.

I honestly would be surprised to see men of this age fight a full round and not be huffing and puffing by the end. You're right, of course. I'm going to tune in mostly out of a sort of morbid curiosity.

14. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

It's pretty sad. What's almost as sad is that the co-main is between Kimbo Slice and Dada 5000. What the hell kind of promotion puts people like that on a card? Is Bellator the WWE now with fake names and fake back stories?

15. The Polish Pounder

Bellator is becomign the freakshow fight league.

16. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

[​IMG]

Jack Slack has a great article breaking it down
    http://fightland.vice.com/blog/shamrock-vs-gracie-iii-this-time-its-irrelevant

I just really hope it's not this again...
    [​IMG]

17. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

ken shamrock was never a GOAT leglocker, he probalby knew his shit, but he was miles away from the japanese dudes.

by the way, he was pulling leg locks in pancreas, which to me is totally irrelevant, Pancreas was a mix of Pro wrestling with some real fights, not the other way around.

TheGZA likes this.
  18. T-Bone

T-Bone Banned 2X but still here Double Yellow Card

Depleted? Dunno. Both are similar age and skill so I see it no differently than watching two Masters level competitors in a BJJ match.

Age brackets for Masters on mma... I like it... think of all the grudge matches...

McGregor at 50 talking trash and getting into the octogon. Now, that will be cool.

-T

19. The Polish Pounder

Am I the only one that actually wants to see the winner fight Severn?

TheGZA likes this.
  20. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Yes.

TheGZA and mattemate like this.