Roy was in his best shape ever at UFC 143 and still got pummeled. 0-4 against elite.

MMABr

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
246lbs

138087126JH008_UFC_143_Diaz.jpg

ufc143_10_werdum_vs_nelson_002.jpg

097_Fabricio_Werdum_vs_Roy_Nelson_gallery_post_large.jpg

Being 'in shape' at HW I think it's a bit overrated. Being healthy is a whole different thing, sometimes heavyweights may step into the octagon being a tad heavier/softer or however you want to call it but, imo, that's not a 'game breaking' aspect or nothing close to it.

Skill normally (not always, but usually) will be the deciding factor in matchups where gatekeepers and elite fighters collide. Not the norm, but a clear pattern.

If Big Country losses against Cormier, he will continue to have a record where EVERYTIME he has faced an upper level fighter he has lost. His only notable win is against a past his prime Cro Cop.

Forever a gatekeeper and maybe the most predictable guy in the division. His only shot against elite fighters is hope to land a big KO punch. If Cormier somehow gets caught I will die in laughter tbh.

Roy will never beat a top guy. He isn't even a gatekeeper and this won't change.

It will be tough for him to become a top 10 fighter for sure. He has a ton of power but lacks a lot of the other fundamentals.

Roy fan here

roy's a gatekeeper and is pretty fun to watch. not sure what else to say about him.

Hes like a gatekeeper to a gatekeeper.

You beat him, you're good enough to be a gate keeper.

Basically anyone that hangs around in the bottom half of the top ten or close to it for a long time, winning many fights but losing against the best competition, is by definition a gatekeeper. Who are his losses against, by and large? The people that fight for and have won championships. There is no way you can say he isn't at least a gatekeeper.

He is definitely a very exciting fighter, he can one shot most anyone out of no where.

Meh. He may not be elite, but I enjoy watching him fight.

Hopefully they give him a rematch with Rothwell. I feel like he got robbed in the IFL, and he's always proven exciting in fights outside the top 10. It would make a good fight.

Back