Roy Nelson's spare tire advantage

He's always been fat, it's genetic. Believe it or not, fighting is more tiresome for big muscular guys than fat guys. Muscles need lots of oxygen which requires an increase in breathing and heart rate.

I'm sorry but I'm of the people who believe that genetics only affects a few people.

Roy nelson definitely burns a fuckton of calories, the only way to be that fat and still train that hard is to eat a shitload of calories.

he definitely eats to be fat

its a fucking pain on the ass to roll with ppl like roy, I happen to have a blue on my gym, he is about the same gut size as Roy, mother fucker gets on side control and you better start doing something pretty quick or you are going to sofocate down there, its like what ppl say, its so hard to push that fat because it kind of wraps your hand, imagine that you are banch pressing 250 pounds, and the bar is not hard, it bends, and as you push up, the weights on the sides of the bar go down, well, thats pretty much what happens when you try to push fat...

I'm a big guy and it has it's advantages.

As far as Nelson-JDS - if Nelson can take a punch (which I think he can) he'll win by KO or sub - whatever he wants.

Dude... I would first say that IMO, there is about a 5% chance that JDS get's KO'd by Nelson. If there is a KO, it will be JDS just raining on Roy and if it stays on the feet and JDS can ensure that, he'll be beating Nelson to a pulp over 3 rounds.

its a fucking pain on the ass to roll with ppl like roy, I happen to have a blue on my gym, he is about the same gut size as Roy, mother fucker gets on side control and you better start doing something pretty quick or you are going to sofocate down there, its like what ppl say, its so hard to push that fat because it kind of wraps your hand, imagine that you are banch pressing 250 pounds, and the bar is not hard, it bends, and as you push up, the weights on the sides of the bar go down, well, thats pretty much what happens when you try to push fat...

I hear what you're saying, and you're right, but don't forget that
(1) we're dealing with no gi where escaping from side control is MUCH easier. Also, in terms of the "soft belly" issues, you shouldn't be pushing up that much anyway. As you probably know, the principle is "don't move him, move you." Without the gi it's much easier to slip out the back door, get underhooks, kick off the hips and stand up
(2) JDS is a brown belt and won't be giving up mounts and crucifixes like Kimbo
(3) JDS is a 240 lbs. freaking specimen himself. I'd imagine that it will be very difficult for Roy to get (much less keep) him down. It's likely that JDS will be looking to just kick off and stand up. He's definitely agile enough to do so.

It may benefit him in very rare circumstances, but it hinders him more than anything.

I'm a big guy, I constantly hear people talk about how much of an advantage it is. If I were solid athletic muscle, maybe. Fat is never an advantage. If it were, the best BJJ guys in the world would be trying to get fat. Weight is an advantage in Sumo, as a result the worlds best purposely try to gain wait. When people start on me about how much of an advantage I have, I tell them it's easy to get this same "advantage" if they want it. Any unnecessary weight is a disadvantage if you ask me. It hurts you in so many ways that you can't even begin to understand until you've done it. Grapple with a weight vest on and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about. Fat is bad.

You just have to go about it in a different manner. Instead of trying to move them, move yourself.

Dude... I would first say that IMO, there is about a 5% chance that JDS get's KO'd by Nelson. If there is a KO, it will be JDS just raining on Roy and if it stays on the feet and JDS can ensure that, he'll be beating Nelson to a pulp over 3 rounds.

I hear what you're saying, and you're right, but don't forget that
(1) we're dealing with no gi where escaping from side control is MUCH easier. Also, in terms of the "soft belly" issues, you shouldn't be pushing up that much anyway. As you probably know, the principle is "don't move him, move you." Without the gi it's much easier to slip out the back door, get underhooks, kick off the hips and stand up
(2) JDS is a brown belt and won't be giving up mounts and crucifixes like Kimbo
(3) JDS is a 240 lbs. freaking specimen himself. I'd imagine that it will be very difficult for Roy to get (much less keep) him down. It's likely that JDS will be looking to just kick off and stand up. He's definitely agile enough to do so.

well, I was just talking about my experience bro, I havent rolled no gi with him, and with the gi on, it makes it so much worst I would guess, belly on the face, plus inside his gi, OMG that fucking sucks...

I'm a 155lb blue belt. The other day I rolled with a 440lb blue belt. (srs) It ended up in my guard, and not only could I not close it, but I couldn't move my hips or place my feet on his hips to move. When he later was in my half guard, I tapped because of the pressure.

I'm a 155lb blue belt. The other day I rolled with a 440lb blue belt. (srs) It ended up in my guard, and not only could I not close it, but I couldn't move my hips or place my feet on his hips to move. When he later was in my half guard, I tapped because of the pressure.

How can a 440 lb man even move at all without dying.

How can a 440 lb man even move at all without dying.

I would pass to mount no problem, but the guy was a former powerlifter and was 6'6+ so he wasn't all fat. Once I got to a better position, he would get mad and toss me over like I was nothing. Felt bad man.

I would pass to mount no problem, but the guy was a former powerlifter and was 6'6+ so he wasn't all fat. Once I got to a better position, he would get mad and toss me over like I was nothing. Felt bad man.

That isn't that bad but man, still 440 lbs wow.

Id like to chime in on this one. First, some theories relating to the discussion.

1. weight can be an advantage in every weight class, this is the reason for cutting weight in combat sports.

2. As a general rule, the lower the weight class, the faster and more technical the fighters become. The guys have more cardio so they can push a faster pace longer, they have less power potential to land one big fight ending blow, and less of a potential weight advantage by cutting.

3. In both grappling and mma the heaviest weight class starts in the low 200s, and has a high ceiling or no ceiling. 205 for mma, 221 for ibjjf, varies for other shows. There can be vast differances in combatant size in the heavyweight divisions, and some huge combatants, bringing factors in to play that the lower weights don't deal with.

4. Math wins everything. There is a magical formula out there for every athlete, and its differant for every athlete. Air in+available energy

i roll with a super fat dude before(kindda like Nelson)
and there's no WAY for me to armbar or triangle him, he is just too damn thick
he can kill my hip and pass my guard easily

Do any of the fat guys you roll with have the bottom of their stomachs hanging out of their shirts? That would be terrible. I'm 6'4 and 310, probably 40% body fat atleast. I'm starting MMA soon and if anything, I feel self conscious about signing up. I'm still going to sign up but I don't want to smother the guys OR girls I'm rolling with in a bad "fuck this guy all he does is sit on you" type of way.

I feel most comfortable working off my back do most open mat rolling take place standing up? Also when rolling are you always going at 100%? Even on the cranks and chokes? I'm a gentle giant I hate hurting people and I always ask my friends if they're okay when I lock in a choke (sometimes I don't lock it in all the way in hopes that they'll just give up). Andddd finally do you guys know any big guy MMA rash guards? Preferably 3xl and cheap

I believe Roy is purposely keeping his belly not because it helps him but because he's comfortable with the disadvantages and the biggest advantage of them all: Marketing. He's the only guy who looks like that in the UFC (besides Mike Russow) and he's letting people know he's fat (belly taunts, Weird Al music, going to Burger King after fights). Any casual fan is gonna know who Roy Nelson is if you mention his name. This guy is smart and I see him beating JDS round 2 via TKO from GnP

As a big guy, adjust your strength/pressure depending on the opponent, when appling techniques just be progressive with the strength application to make sure you stay technically sound.

Gi or no-gi, when you have a gut like that on top of you it hurts like hell. I rolled with a guy who outweighed me by at least 40 pounds and had a gut like Nelson. He got me in side control and after about 4-5 minutes of trying to reverse or just fight back to my feet I literally tapped due to the fear of my rib cage collapsing. It felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Trust me when I say that JDS will not be able to get back to his feet if Roy gets him in side control...

Is the weight difference between Roy Nelson and JDS 40 pounds though? I'm not sure what either of them weigh in at. Anyways my point is if JDS and Roy are close to the same weight it wont be the same as the situation you were in. Also JDS appears very strong and explosive so that will also help from getting out of the bottom. I don't know though I haven't seen JDS on his back yet.

Is the weight difference between Roy Nelson and JDS 40 pounds though? I'm not sure what either of them weigh in at. Anyways my point is if JDS and Roy are close to the same weight it wont be the same as the situation you were in. Also JDS appears very strong and explosive so that will also help from getting out of the bottom. I don't know though I haven't seen JDS on his back yet.

This is what I'm talking about. If the difference is GSP weight... sure, it makes a huge difference. But, Cigano is 240 lbs. of lean muscle. I'd say he has about as much power as Nelson and, personally, if I'm rolling with someone who I'm just as strong as, I don't give a fuck if they're heavier via 20 pounds of gut fat. Besides, this all depends on Nelson's ability to get JDS down, which is going to be a BIG problem given mobility.

Not to knock Roy, but this is simply a stop-gap fight while Cain gets his shot. I don't think there's any expectation that JDS loses this fight.

Man how much does akebono suck at grappling if he couldn't take advantage of his enormous flab like that?

Do any of the fat guys you roll with have the bottom of their stomachs hanging out of their shirts? That would be terrible. I'm 6'4 and 310, probably 40% body fat atleast. I'm starting MMA soon and if anything, I feel self conscious about signing up. I'm still going to sign up but I don't want to smother the guys OR girls I'm rolling with in a bad "fuck this guy all he does is sit on you" type of way.

I feel most comfortable working off my back do most open mat rolling take place standing up? Also when rolling are you always going at 100%? Even on the cranks and chokes? I'm a gentle giant I hate hurting people and I always ask my friends if they're okay when I lock in a choke (sometimes I don't lock it in all the way in hopes that they'll just give up). Andddd finally do you guys know any big guy MMA rash guards? Preferably 3xl and cheap

I believe Roy is purposely keeping his belly not because it helps him but because he's comfortable with the disadvantages and the biggest advantage of them all: Marketing. He's the only guy who looks like that in the UFC (besides Mike Russow) and he's letting people know he's fat (belly taunts, Weird Al music, going to Burger King after fights). Any casual fan is gonna know who Roy Nelson is if you mention his name. This guy is smart and I see him beating JDS round 2 via TKO from GnP

I'm about 300# and have been practicing mma for 4 1/2 years, so many of these issues I've had to deal with too.

For starters, get a bigger shirt. No one wants your sweaty ass gut touching them. Get 3x or 4x (or even 5x if your that fat) 50/50 blend shirts. They will last a long time and cover the blob. Don't use all cotton, they will rip much faster than the blend. Forget about a rash guard, you'll look ridiculous like you were wearing spandex or some shit.

Learn all the techniques, not just lay and pray because it works. Its a sport and your doing it for fun and exercise, so do the whole thing. Roll onto your back and let people work thier game too. Eventually you'll find what works best for you, everyone does, but learn the whole art.

Don't worry about hurting snyone. Its a contact sport, everybody gets hurt a little. If you dont get sore, your not doing it right. They accept the situation just like you do. You'll never get any better if you worry all the time. THAT DOESN'T MEAN GO 100% ALL THE TIME. Nobody does, and you will hurt someone if you, and you will get hurt if you do also. Just learn the techniques and listen to the instructors on how hard to go.

Show people the same respect and treatment you want, you will find it comes right back to you. If it doesn't, find another school, they are definitely out there.

Get your blood pressure checked and dont over do it at first. Rolling is much different than standup cardio. Ease your way into it so your comfortable with the work.

Get your fat ass off the couch especially on days when you dont want to. Thats my biggest problem. Its easy and fun to stay home and eat a couple of pizzas, smothered in ice cream. (guilty!!) Make it a regular thing to go practice, eat properly before for fuel, and after for recovery. That will make practice more fun, and take away bad diet days.

The bottom line, go do it, dont sit around wondering.

Back