Roy Nelson's spare tire advantage

Yes I noticed this a while back that he uses the fat to cut off your breathing, but its more important that you notice he does the crucifix right thats why no one can get out of it

I was just thinking about Roy Nelson's physique. While he may not be a specimin, he is definitely athletic with great technique. I am a blue belt in BJJ at Popovitch Jiu-Jitsu in S. Florida personally and noticed something.

When a man with large percent of body fat is on top of you no-gi, in a crucifix or side control position, the gut almost suffocates you. Its as if it molds to the shape of your face. Also, trying to escape the hips and push off?? It's like you sink into their body rather than actually push off.

Does anyone think Roy uses these things to his advantage? I know it sounds weird, but it's a legitimate theory/observation. Serious posts only please...

It sounds like you're quoting Joe Rogan. He said pretty much the exact same thing before Nelsons fight with Schaub. Just sayin'.

If you get to play the topgame all that extra weight can absolutely be an advantage. It's a disadvantage when you're working for that takedown though.
the question was specific to fat not just pure body weight.

size on top does matter, but i dont think people give enough credit to jds for HIS ground. its common opinion he has none because no one has seen it in teh ufc. he's a two time Bahia State Champion and trains under the noguiera bros. i think its safe to say he has an adequate ground game.

I'll admit that it's different rolling with a fat guy, but it's not going to make or break a match. The best jiu-jitsu/technique prevails, and I think the same will be true in this fight.

I was just thinking about Roy Nelson's physique. While he may not be a specimin, he is definitely athletic with great technique. I am a blue belt in BJJ at Popovitch Jiu-Jitsu in S. Florida personally and noticed something.

When a man with large percent of body fat is on top of you no-gi, in a crucifix or side control position, the gut almost suffocates you. Its as if it molds to the shape of your face. Also, trying to escape the hips and push off?? It's like you sink into their body rather than actually push off.

Does anyone think Roy uses these things to his advantage? I know it sounds weird, but it's a legitimate theory/observation. Serious posts only please...

Hell yes he does, against Arlovski, he was ACTING like he was trying for the kimura, so the ref wouldn't stand them up, but all he was really doing is trying to smother AA with his fat, disgusting gut. It wasn't a fight at that point, it was a crushing video. The guy has no self-respect.

Watching that Nelson HL, it looks like he's open to leg kicks and *really* likes that right hand. As much as I want Roy to win, I think JDS will have an answer for his effective but seemingly predictable striking.

Yeah it seems like he's be harder to push off because he's soft, but I think he has a disadvantage if a wrestler plants him on bottom, and in the standing clinch.

I don't know about the belly, but if he pulls off the upset it would be crazy. Dana would be pissed

oh yes totally, weighing over 250 pounds and having a black belt in jiu jitsu is a horrifying advantage on top. especially in sidemount/crucifix position. being tired with someone on you like roy nelson would be a nightmare.

It's generally accepted that Nelson stays fat for the grappling advantage. Hell, to be in such great cardio shape and keep that gut, that's commitment man.

I don't get how he can have such a good cardio and still be so fat. Makes no sense to me. Is he eating like 24/7?

I don't get how he can have such a good cardio and still be so fat. Makes no sense to me. Is he eating like 24/7?

He's always been fat, it's genetic. Believe it or not, fighting is more tiresome for big muscular guys than fat guys. Muscles need lots of oxygen which requires an increase in breathing and heart rate.

JDS is crazy explosive.

He'll get up from under Roy if needs be, you ppl are making him out to be some unstoppable BJJ wiz. He is a decent B level guy and JDS should honestly walk thru him.

The gut might be an advantage is some areas but its a definately disadvantage in others.

JDS is the stronger guy and his BJJ will surprise ppl aswell as his strength.

what is this with Roy Nelson and crucifix is that his finishing move or something lol

Gi or no-gi, when you have a gut like that on top of you it hurts like hell. I rolled with a guy who outweighed me by at least 40 pounds and had a gut like Nelson. He got me in side control and after about 4-5 minutes of trying to reverse or just fight back to my feet I literally tapped due to the fear of my rib cage collapsing. It felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Trust me when I say that JDS will not be able to get back to his feet if Roy gets him in side control...

Arlovski and Schaub were able to get out of it. Why not JDS?

I also think Roy's gut can be and advantage in rolling. Not going to be able to get a very tight closed guard as you can't wrap your legs around his waist. Thing like body triangles are not gonna work either.

Back