Roy Nelson's spare tire advantage

Leprousy

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I was just thinking about Roy Nelson's physique. While he may not be a specimin, he is definitely athletic with great technique. I am a blue belt in BJJ at Popovitch Jiu-Jitsu in S. Florida personally and noticed something.

When a man with large percent of body fat is on top of you no-gi, in a crucifix or side control position, the gut almost suffocates you. Its as if it molds to the shape of your face. Also, trying to escape the hips and push off?? It's like you sink into their body rather than actually push off.

Does anyone think Roy uses these things to his advantage? I know it sounds weird, but it's a legitimate theory/observation. Serious posts only please...

Would not know because I have never trained BJJ such as yourself, you would probably know better than us. I would imagine it to be very hard.

You're probably right and it seems to be what he aims to do when he gets on top of people. It's much harder to deal with soft fat than hard muscle.

Roy Nelson used that in the Kimbo and James Mcsomething fight. He will use vs JDS because I know for a fact hes not dumb enough to stand. Nelson by 2nd round TKO. Could be 1st

roy is going to be able to crucifix jds.

jds via first round ko

I train no-gi and noticed that too. When it's muscle ontop of you, the person has to push their weight on you, fat sags and automatically pushes down you. personally I give to JDS, but if Roy gets to side control Cigano's gonna be in trouble.

I'd rather not debate the Roy Nelson vs JDS fight. I'm curious to hear people discuss his spare tire advantage. I feel there are enough Roy vs JDS threads for the fight discussion. :)

Thanks others for your insight!

Yeah grappling with bigger guys like that are almost impossible to spot once they pass the guard... but that is a big if, because I think over-sized guys are at a disadvantage while in someone's guard because its so hard for them to escape/do anything...

didnt rampage said something about how you get your hand stuck in nelson's gut trying to push him off during TUF?

being fat helps u pass from a closed guard too. instead of being shaped like an hourglass where the bottom guy can lock onto yr hips, when ur fat u can just slide thru

I was just thinking about Roy Nelson's physique. While he may not be a specimin, he is definitely athletic with great technique. I am a blue belt in BJJ at Popovitch Jiu-Jitsu in S. Florida personally and noticed something.

When a man with large percent of body fat is on top of you no-gi, in a crucifix or side control position, the gut almost suffocates you. Its as if it molds to the shape of your face. Also, trying to escape the hips and push off?? It's like you sink into their body rather than actually push off.

Does anyone think Roy uses these things to his advantage? I know it sounds weird, but it's a legitimate theory/observation. Serious posts only please...

Gi or no-gi, when you have a gut like that on top of you it hurts like hell. I rolled with a guy who outweighed me by at least 40 pounds and had a gut like Nelson. He got me in side control and after about 4-5 minutes of trying to reverse or just fight back to my feet I literally tapped due to the fear of my rib cage collapsing. It felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Trust me when I say that JDS will not be able to get back to his feet if Roy gets him in side control...

Gi or no-gi, when you have a gut like that on top of you it hurts like hell. I rolled with a guy who outweighed me by at least 40 pounds and had a gut like Nelson. He got me in side control and after about 4-5 minutes of trying to reverse or just fight back to my feet I literally tapped due to the fear of my rib cage collapsing. It felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Trust me when I say that JDS will not be able to get back to his feet if Roy gets him in side control...

Dude! Your avatar and name are ROCKING! Kudos!

I've trained with an athletic fat guy before.........belly is not comfy on my face.

This kindof reminds me of the old joke; which is heavier a pound of feathers or a pound of scrap metal?

Seriously. As a rule I'd rather contend with a fata$$ then a workout muscle machine.

However if said fata$$ had Nelsons particular skillset I'd have to do some serious hedging.

Just generally though I dont think being fat is any great advantage in BJJ/MMA. Interesting question but it doesnt hold up to any legitimate scrutiny IMO.

It comes down to skill and positioning more than pure composition.

I can't wait for this fight. It really could go either way. It favors JDS but Roy could pull it off and shock everyone.

Just generally though I dont think being fat is any great advantage in BJJ/MMA. Interesting question but it doesnt hold up to any legitimate scrutiny IMO.

If you get to play the topgame all that extra weight can absolutely be an advantage. It's a disadvantage when you're working for that takedown though.

Back