Roy Nelson's jiu jitsu myth.

Most fighters have ground skills, but we keep getting told he's this BJJ wonder who just chooses not to use it. After last night I'm not buying it.
Who says he's a wonder? He's a Renzo black belt and he beat Frank Mir in a pure grappling match. Why are you still posting?

He's introduced as a "kung fu fighter" and TS thinks it's his BJJ accolades that are suspect.

Lots of people reference that old BJJ match, where Roy eeked out a decision over Mir (a decision in a jiujitsu match);

But here is a little-known fact: they also fought another time in pure jiujitsu, within a year of that match, which was not filmed and put up on youtube, and Mir submitted Roy with a kimura.

So there was a match no one ever heard of and of which no video exists that is key to your argument. I like it.

MMA grappling is not a Nogi competition.
A Nogi competition is not the same as gi.

Some BJJ champs transfer well (Werdum, Jacare, Maia) from sport grappling to MMA. Roy was probably not on their level at sport grappling.
Some guys are ok at sport grappling but brilliant at MMA grappling (Aoki, Lauzon, G Sots, dos Anjos, Pettis).
Roy has decent top control, and decent guard passes. He tends to hold a position instead of taking chances to progress. He will gas out if he works at Werdum's pace. He's certainly a legit black belt; but nothing special as an MMA grappler.

So there was a match no one ever heard of and of which no video exists that is key to your argument. I like it.
My source is a Frank Mir interview video. Straight from the man himself.

tumblr_lziam2PQbS1rpe09wo1_500.jpg

OP acknowledges that Roy outwrestled a prime Mir, then asks why people think he has legit grappling.

Is this real life?

You don't even know what Grappler's Quest is and you think you have the knowledge to question a Gracie black belt's BJJ skills.

He grappled Kimbo Slice to a decision.
Is that supposed to be a feather in the cap of a high level jiu-jitsu practitioner?
He got the stoppage with baby strikes from the mounted crucifix. Good BJJ

Is this some kind of inside joke or an MMA myth?

I realise he's meant to have a black belt under Renzo Gracie, which may be the inside joke - hey, let's pretend a really fat guy is great at BJJ!
Really wouldn't surprise me.
But as far as I can see, he won a Grappler's Quest tournament once (whatever that is) and the best he ever did in Abu Dhabi was the quarter finals.

We keep hearing about how amazing he is at JJ but he never uses it. We've not seen it in the UFC. Ever.
So he's fighting a guy who just wants to take him down last night but is so confident in these JJ skills that he supposedly has, that he fights like a guy who has never been to the ground in his entire life and is terrified to going to the ground so much that he adopts a completely new stance.

I'm really not buying the 'I'd rather stand up and bang' nonsense.

'Kung-Fu fighter and BJJ black belt'. Hmmmm.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

He outgrappled Mir in a grapplers quest I think it was some years back. Just because he doesn't showcase it doesn't mean it isn't there, and what do you think he was going to do with it last night? Rosholt is a monster wrestler. You think just because Nelson is an above average grappler that he's just going to up and submit anyone who takes him down? That's not how it works, that's not how any of this works.

I've seen Werdum submit the heavyweight champion and various other people, so yeah, he kind of uses his already established and proven JJ skills don't you think?
There's no need to be patronising.

Your point makes no sense because Gonzaga, Werdum, Silva and Penn would not be afraid to go to the ground.
Do you honestly think Werdum would care too much if Jared Rosholt took him down? Fuck no! And that's from a guy arguably worse on his feet than Nelson is.

BJ Penn's career has been severely tainted because of his stubborn refusal to take fights to the ground, we all know that.

BJ Penn was known for having some of the most ridiculous takedown defense in the entire sport. What the fuck are you even trying to say?

Wow. I really must have upset you in the past.
Calm the anger, it's just a discussion.
I apologize. It's just that I actually train and things like that just annoy me. I know for a fact that Roy is very very good on the ground. It's a rarely hyped part of his game either way.

4:36

stay mad

In his story he said he lateral dropped Roy into side control. No wonder he gassed afterward, he's lucky he didn't poop himself lifting him.

He said in a post fight interview, that he was upset on how Rosholt kept running from him. He said its the hardest he's trained in a long time, and brought in people to help him train. He also said it was the first time in years he has practiced his BJJ for a fight. He expected him to fight on the ground r try to push him to the cage.

You don't even know what Grappler's Quest is and you think you have the knowledge to question a Gracie black belt's BJJ skills.

I'd heard of it vaguely but haven't sat and watched hours of it.
Neither has anyone else here.

There isn't a need to get insulting, this is a conversation/debate, so calm down.

People just need to stop talking about Roy Nelson like he's some kind of jiu-jitsu wizard who just chooses not to use it.
says no need to get insulting, openly insults roys bjj here and in the op calling it a joke.

good work buddy. you are a walking contradiction.

Back