Roy Nelson vs. Sergei Kharitonov set for Bellator 207 co-main event

A lot of UFC geeks hating on this fight but happily paid for Ngannou vs Black Beast.
Hindsight is a great thing, they actually paid for Cormier Vs Stipe though, Ngannou had never fought like that before and almost nobody expected this to go to the judges, never mind it being a boring fight.

У Сергея есть секретное оружие для этой битвы!
“Новичо́к”

Nelson and Hunt have taken more damage than any other fighters I can think of. In addition to fighting Hunt, Nelson has taken blows (sometimes brutally for 3-5 rounds) from prime JDS, Stipe, Overeem, Arlovski, Cormier, Barnett, Derrick Lewis, Cro-Cop, Mitrione, Mir, a young Ben Rothwell, etc. He still has a good chin, but I hate to see how he's functioning 10 years from now.

Really looking forward to this card. Very good co-main event.

I like Sergei here and I think Roy is in for a prolonged beating. Roy can only really get takedowns from the clinch and Sergei is devastating in the clinch. I predict a lot of upper cuts and body shots.

I'm picking Roy and I can't stand him. Sergei at one point looked like one of the very best HW's in the world, now he looks fat and sloppy and goes to decisions with Joey punching bag Beltran.

Both looked like shit recently, i think Roy stops Sergei unfortunately.

Striker vs Grappler. I think Nelson is less done, Sergei is too plodding right now...

Interesting fight though

It’s a good matchup because both guys like to brawl and prefer to keep it standing.

I think Kharitonov is shot, but he still has that safe-cracking power.

If it turns into a grappling affair, Kharitonov is done for.

Sergei is no slouch on the ground. He has twice as many submissions as Roy and more KO's

I think it's sad what happened to Sergei. He came from that Sambo background I believe and was getting a lot of subs when he started out. He was maybe 240-245, fast and strong and could grapple.
Now he's like 260 and much slower and ignores his ground game completely for the most part. ...1 submission in 6 years. I always thought he wasted a lot of potential. Same can be said for Roy b/c he refused to take his diet serious.

I think it's sad what happened to Sergei. He came from that Sambo background I believe and was getting a lot of subs when he started out. He was maybe 240-245, fast and strong and could grapple.
Now he's like 260 and much slower and ignores his ground game completely for the most part. ...1 submission in 6 years. I always thought he wasted a lot of potential. Same can be said for Roy b/c he refused to take his diet serious.

True.

Nelson is a more well-rounded fighter (pun intended) between the two fighters. Maybe they both think the extra poundage helps add power to their heavyweight shots?

Roy's last sub was in 2006 against some unknown guy. But before he started fighting, he was teaching/helping guys like Liddell with BJJ. To be fair, I think he could've subbed Kimbo in their TUF match. It looked like he was toying with him and could easily finish him if he wanted.

Their careers have some similarities, but Roy has taken a lot more damage (even considering Sergei's K-1 fights) and is about 5 years older. That said, I favor Roy if he can turn it into a grappling match.

True.

Nelson is a more well-rounded fighter (pun intended) between the two fighters. Maybe they both think the extra poundage helps add power to their heavyweight shots?

I think it has more to do with a lack of willpower when it comes to cheeseburgers and donuts for Roy (and whatever Sergie eats... AND drinks.). They may use the "extra pounds" thing to rationalize it, though, LOL.

Sergei is no slouch on the ground. He has twice as many submissions as Roy and more KO's

He may have turned into a slouch...did you see his fight with Monson?

Back