Roy Nelson on JDS loss: "If I had two extra rounds, it could have been a different fi

http://fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Ro...ds,-it-could-have-been-a-different-fight.html

"I think even back then, if I'd had two extra rounds, it could have been a different fight. I always care about the title shot, but that's the end game. For the most part, as long as you're fighting in the UFC, you're fighting the best in the world. Of course you want that belt, but it's not what defines you as a fighter."
-Roy Nelson

Is Roy joking here? I thought JDS was going to put him into a coma if that fight had gone on longer. Country didn't do shit except eat power shots. JDS had triple the output...

i agree.

the only positive that nelson could take from that fight, was that he took all that jds had, and was still standing at the end.

and there is no way that he would have won that fight if there had been two more rounds, in my opinion. dos santos was essentially sparring him the moment he realized that even his power punches weren't going to bring nelson down. if that fight had gone two more rounds, i think dos santos would have coasted to two more rounds in his favor for the decision win. or, nelson would have taken enough punishment/been too gassed, and could have been tko'd.

Well JDS was slowing down a whole lot and getting pretty tired by the end of that fight he probably wouldn't have finished Roy even with 2 more rounds. That being said Roy was a complete zombie by the end of that fight I legit thought he might have brain damage.

Give me 9 months and a bullwhip, and I'll turn Roy Nelson into the next UFC HW Champion. Until then, he's THE gatekeeper of the HW division.

That fight looked like an angry stepfather abusing his stepson.

I like his outlook though, not every fighter on the roster needs to be a title contender. Would be a small roster if that was the case.

Totally disagree. It's true that not every fighter will be a title contender but I think Roy might be the only one who is okay with/dumb enough to openly be satisfied with that

Just re watched this fight.
JDS definetly won, but Im not sure why all the hate for nelson. He landed a few bombs of his own, enough to open JDS face. He did take a little punishment in the first, but the second and third was competitive and both fighters got winded coming down the stretch. I don't think nelson would win a five round decision. But he could end it with a hard right.
There's a whole list of top heavyweights that couldn't make it as far as roy did.

Give the guy a little credit.

This the same guy that thought he won the Werdum fight. Maybe the most delusional fighter ever

Totally disagree. It's true that not every fighter will be a title contender but I think Roy might be the only one who is okay with/dumb enough to openly be satisfied with that

Well not my point i guess. You are right you shouldn't as an athlete be satisfied with being a gatekeeper etc. But there has to be room for those guys. That's how you build up new talent and also make exciting match ups.

Also guys like Mir, Rich, Forrest etc that already were champs, have done a ton in the sport shouldn't have to retire because they won't hold the gold again. They have earned the right to still fight for a living and either fight fun fights that the fans want, or test up and comers.

Just my two cents on it though.

tom-cruise-laughing.gif

Roy would have won, that much is obvious! Just like he would have won against Mir and Werdum, all those guys were dead tired and Roy was completely fresh because he's such a hardworking athlete and always tends to be in shape. Roy is undefeated if you ask me. Oh yeah, he would have won if the Arlovski fight was 5 rounds too, it was obvious that Arlovski couldn't go on anymore after KOing Roy and it'd just be a matter of time till he got caught.

Roy Nelson, undefeated.

Back