Roy Jones willing to fight Silva

The HW guys couldn't answer this question. So I'm leaving it up to you all. Just what in the HELL is Anderson Silva thinking? Possibly his ego speaking or does he know something that no one else does? Some super secret that not another soul knows and it promises a win?

1. Money.

2. Overconfidence. Hes destroying everyone in MMA.

Watching his stand up is entertaining in the cage. He just destroys those guys, but I honestly don't think he realizes what he's getting himself into. RJJ isn't Rich Franklin or Dan Henderson. Roy Jones Jr. is motherfucking Roy Jones Jr. - I'd feel bad for the boxing fans on here if Silva one but that would have to be some sort of miracle for him to win. Unless of course he does have some secret.

The HW guys couldn't answer this question. So I'm leaving it up to you all. Just what in the HELL is Anderson Silva thinking? Possibly his ego speaking or does he know something that no one else does? Some super secret that not another soul knows and it promises a win?

What can he know that nobody else does? What secret can yu have that hasnt been tested out in the boxing arena, having trained doesnt matter, until he has boxed high level guys and has experience it wont matter anything.

What can he know that nobody else does? What secret can yu have that hasnt been tested out in the boxing arena, having trained doesnt matter, until he has boxed high level guys and has experience it wont matter anything.

Well, I was thinking "secret" as in the ridiculous sense. Like...having hands made of lead. Orr he's actually some sort of test tube experiment made for destroying faces and ruining sports. Not being serious at all. I just think Silva is getting in WAY too deep. I hope he gets his face rearranged personally. Probably best for both sports if they don't fight.

Well, I was thinking "secret" as in the ridiculous sense. Like...having hands made of lead. Orr he's actually some sort of test tube experiment made for destroying faces and ruining sports. Not being serious at all. I just think Silva is getting in WAY too deep. I hope he gets his face rearranged personally. Probably best for both sports if they don't fight.

I think it would be a lose-lose situation for boxing, and a win-win for MMA. If Jones beats him down and KO's him early, than of course it was because of the ridiculous rules of boxing and in a streetfight or in a cage Silva would just take him down and sub him. If Silva wins, I dont even want to think about it but if he did, well that makes MMA the greatest sport in the world and boxing is a lame joke. Either way, boxing doesnt come off looking very good whereas MMA has a positive result.

Im not even a boxer, its just MMA fans can drive me cazy sometimes with their rubbish and as a result, I barely watch any MMA any more and have gone back to boxing which Ive been a fan of since I was abotu 10.

thats the point. it doesent matter what dana says. he can say yes all he wants, but the matchup will never get made.

RJJ probably wants this fight more than silva(thats how pathetic his list of possible opponents has become).

Let's not get carried away.

You're making it sound like Jones called him out.

All I'm saying, is you have to look down to welter to find fighters that throw as many punches as Toney. That doesn't come from flipping channels on the remote.

I agree with Happy Boy -- it's a lose-lose situation for boxing. And who knows -- anything's possible in a combat sport, and Roy really hasn't aged well.

By the way, what do you guys think about Silva's boxing skills? I've given my opinion on another thread, but I want to hear what more experienced people think.

It's impossible to tell. His hands are lethal, when his opponent is watching for leg kicks. Take that out of the equation and give him gloves and he probably wont be that much of a threat at all.

I agree with Happy Boy -- it's a lose-lose situation for boxing. And who knows -- anything's possible in a combat sport, and Roy really hasn't aged well.

By the way, what do you guys think about Silva's boxing skills? I've given my opinion on another thread, but I want to hear what more experienced people think.

They are the boxing skills of an mma'er, good for their purpose but in a boxing fight they are at best mid-am level IMO. They throw wide arcing punches a lot of the time cos they have to be wary of the takedown, and this also makes their footwork a lot less poised as they need a much wider base to avoid said TD. If he does this against Jones, he is gonna get hit twice before one of his swings reaches the target. Ive never seen him use a boxing jab at all, this in itself will be exposed brutally if he fights a good boxer.

WTF happened to my post? Anyway, yeah, Silva should move up to 205 if he's looking for a challenge, plenty of bigtime fights there for him. Getting his ass handed to him by Roy Jones is not the best idea. He'd get humiliated.

I agree Term. He's a great mma fighter. Him trying to box is like Michael Jordan trying to play baseball..
I hope he doesnt try it

They are the boxing skills of an mma'er, good for their purpose but in a boxing fight they are at best mid-am level IMO. They throw wide arcing punches a lot of the time cos they have to be wary of the takedown, and this also makes their footwork a lot less poised as they need a much wider base to avoid said TD. If he does this against Jones, he is gonna get hit twice before one of his swings reaches the target. Ive never seen him use a boxing jab at all, this in itself will be exposed brutally if he fights a good boxer.

My problem with this whole situation goes way beyond Silva's potential physical limitations.

But let's say for argument's sake, Silva was the real deal talent wise. How far is Silva's raw talent going to get him with a top ten fighter like Jones after only 1 or 2 pro fights?

If that doesn't grab people, let me put it this way. How well would the all time boxing greats fare against Jones, if they had only 1 or 2 pro fights experience? Would they beat a top ten fighter walking straight out of the amateurs?

This is why I can't figure out how this bout could possibly be competitive.

My problem with this whole situation goes way beyond Silva's potential physical limitations.

But let's say for argument's sake, Silva was the real deal talent wise. How far is Silva's raw talent going to get him with a top ten fighter like Jones after only 1 or 2 pro fights?

If that doesn't grab people, let me put it this way. How well would the all time boxing greats fare against Jones, if they had only 1 or 2 pro fights experience? Would they beat a top ten fighter walking straight out of the amateurs?

This is why I can't figure out how this bout could possibly be competitive.

Oh I agree with that too, totally, unless they've watched Rocky IV and think Silva is gonna Ivan Drago it against Roy Jones, I dont know what they are thinking. Look at any good pro's opening few fights, never great, nervous and panicked a lot of the time and always against total cans, but this dude seems to have some amount of self confidence that he think he'll be different, not only will he be able for it, but against an all time great and former p4p king!! Still though, adults should be allowed make mistakes if its their will to do so, hes not a kid.

I'm not saying Silva would win, but he does have a reach advantage and has knockout power. The only weakness Jones has, other than choice of opponents, is his jaw. Its been shown before and if anyone can be knocked out, Silva can do it.

I'm not saying Silva would win, but he does have a reach advantage and has knockout power. The only weakness Jones has, other than choice of opponents, is his jaw. Its been shown before and if anyone can be knocked out, Silva can do it.

The HW forum beckons, sir.

1. Money.

2. Overconfidence. Hes destroying everyone in MMA.

No dude, he's fighting for the liberation of MMA and show how great athletes of MMA are! After knocking out jones in the first round, Silva's gonna go to the Olympics to win gold in judo, freestyle wrestling, and figure skating then he's gonna join the the NBA to play for the All-star team. Don't you know UFC fighters are the best athletes in the history of existence?

Yeah,
And Pete McNeeley's bigger fist and longer reach made him a legit threat to Tyson.

No dude, he's fighting for the liberation of MMA and show how great athletes of MMA are! After knocking out jones in the first round, Silva's gonna go to the Olympics to win gold in judo, freestyle wrestling, and figure skating then he's gonna join the the NBA to play for the All-star team. Don't you know UFC fighters are the best athletes in the history of existence?

LOL, the way the commentators talk about them, this isnt unfair comment at all.

Back