Roy Jones Jr. fighting OCT. 7th.

11b83

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From Dan Rafael Twitter

@danrafaelespn Don't shoot the messneger: Formal announcement comes Wednesday that Roy Jones will fight Danny Santiago 10/7 in Pensacola at cruiserweight

It's sad to see Roy fighting still. The guy don't have it anymore but can't let it go.

Saw the tail end of the ticker this morning on espn, hoped maybe he announced his retirement. I found out the opposite was true later in the day. Saying he has lost 3 of last 5 fights is being quite nice. He is 5 and 6 since the win over Tarver, where in hindsight we all wish he had retired after that. Damnit Roy.

Hope he doesn't end up punch drunk because he keeps coming back for more when he should retire.

I'll always watch RJJ fight because I'm such a fan even though I think he should hang it up. He did look good for 1 round vs Cal.

Here's what I think the problem is.

Roy Jones in too proud to retire on a loss... he wants to go out on a win.

Unfortunately, when he does win a fight he convinces himself he can make another run for the title... and so fights one of the better guys which leads to the Calzaghe/Hopkins/Green type debacle.

It's a lose/lose situation all around.

Here's what I think the problem is.

Roy Jones in too proud to retire on a loss... he wants to go out on a win.

Unfortunately, when he does win a fight he convinces himself he can make another run for the title... and so fights one of the better guys which leads to the Calzaghe/Hopkins/Green type debacle.

It's a lose/lose situation all around.

Exactly!

hopefully roy can get a win and end his career on a good note and let fighting go. you guys goto admit roy was something to watch when he was in his prime, just schooling guys with his blazing speed. some guys just dont want to give up and need a W before letting go. I support Roy!!!!!

WAR RJJ!!!!

roy might want to die in the ring. seriously. he dedicated every waking second of his life to boxing from age 10. he might actually want to go out in his home.

i dont remember any coach ever telling me to quit if you're not the best

I love Roy, he's my all time favorite but he needs to hang em up, watching his last few fights have been nothing short of painful.

I'll support Roy if he wants to keep fighting & if he decides to hang the gloves up. I'm purchasing his boxing career DVD the minute that he announces his retirement though.

I live in Pensacola and saw his last card here against Sheika. The whole production was pretty awful and so were the fights. I am big fan of RJJ and would hate to miss his farewell fight if he does retire, but what are the real odds that he does? Tickets are pretty expensive at $87 for midlevel seats. With a card thats supposed to have 5 mma matches and only one has been announced with two fighters that Ive never even heard of. Any of yall know what else is on card so I can make up my mind if worth going or not.

I'd watch it, just because its Roy, the same reason I watched Tyson-McBride. But damn, it sucks watching great fighters lose to guys that wouldn't even have been decent sparring partners for them in their primes. You can imagine how it felt for people to watch Ray Robinson-Joey Archer, or Ali-Berbick. Louis-Marciano had to be tough to watch, too, but at least Rocky would turn out to be a great fighter.

Back